Crime rate up in Castries, St Lucia

Airrace

I have been reading about the recent crime rate in Castries. It seems an elderly women and her child were mugged in the park a few weeks ago. This is one of the parks listed on the self guided walking tour. Two young men tried to steal her purse but were un successful. She did have a few bruises from the incident.

Has anyone been there lately and can report on anything.

Thanks in Advance 

14 hours ago, Airrace said:

I have been reading about the recent crime rate in Castries. It seems an elderly women and her child were mugged in the park a few weeks ago. This is one of the parks listed on the self guided walking tour. Two young men tried to steal her purse but were un successful. She did have a few bruises from the incident.

Thanks in Advance 

The mugging was in late December, early  January (there was a post about it then).

Not sure how one (or two as there was an attempt a week or two later in a different area) incident translates into "crime rate up in Castries". It was a fairly common to anywhere crime of opportunity, where the perps were actually caught and awaiting trial - unlike common muggings in many USA or other country's cities.  

USA just issued their updated travel warnings for St Lucia - no change in warnings or cautions  - a level 1 country, meaning low crime rates against tourists, generally safe, etc. - just use common sense, like you would anywhere.  Serenity Park is lovely - small, so not somewhere one would be sending hours wondering , you can circumnavigate it in maybe 12 minutes - and see all the way around it from anywhere in the park. It's right off the main highway. Cute park for a short stroll.

As noted in many many posts, Castries really isn't much of a city to explore for your average tourist. There's simply not much there, and it's fairly gritty. It's not a quaint village by any means.  There's lots more interesting areas and sights to explore further afield.  

On 4/16/2019 at 8:30 PM, Airrace said:

Thanks in Advance 

We were there on a port stop last September and did a tour with Cosol...one of the best tour's we've done in the Caribbean and we felt completely safe...!!

Agree with the above post...enjoy St Lucia !!

• 1 month later...

It's entertaining to see some americans terrified of crime in the Caribbean. I grew up on the outskirts of Detroit, and now live in a northern michigan tourist town where there is some crime on a regular basis. The gullible and unawares can be victimized regardless of where they go. Basically people need to be cautious wherever they go, and one is far, far more likely to suffer a accident (physical) as opposed to violent crime. By the way, having worked for the state of michigan in a maximum security prison and as a children & adult protective services investigator I know crime...its everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 11:30 PM, Airrace said:

Thanks in Advance 

During your visit to St. Lucia the very least of your concerns are the crime rate(or mugging:classic_huh:of an old lady:classic_blush: at Serenity Park).

This is not the island for "a self-guided walking tour" "around town". 

Your not doing "self-guided walking tours" on all your ports are you??

Here's the deal homey, we'll spoon feed you through the whole thing.

St. Lucia is an ecological wonder of the world, that cheesy "self-guided walking tour" this is NOT the island for that. 

It's as simple as this, you don't have to think we've already done that for you.🙄

Google Cosol Tours and BOOK one of their tours, the only thing you have to concern yourself with then is whether or not there are enough Caribe's in Baptiste's cooler to last you throughout your long FUN day. That's it, nothing more!! 

It's that simple!!!

You can do it!!! NOW, e-mail Cosol's Tours and REALLY go and SEE St. Lucia. 😉

Have fun Todd!!!

So let me get this right, you are planning on going to this AWESOME island and not going to the Pitons??

Your killing me, your killing yourself. 

Edited by TTEllis
typo
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 11:09 PM, master_angler_dave said:

It's entertaining to see some americans terrified of crime in the Caribbean. I grew up on the outskirts of Detroit, and now live in a northern michigan tourist town where there is some crime on a regular basis. The gullible and unawares can be victimized regardless of where they go. Basically people need to be cautious wherever they go, and one is far, far more likely to suffer a accident (physical) as opposed to violent crime. By the way, having worked for the state of michigan in a maximum security prison and as a children & adult protective services investigator I know crime...its everywhere.

It's astonishing isn't it!!

On 4/17/2019 at 1:49 PM, reedprincess said:

The mugging was in late December, early  January (there was a post about it then).

Not sure how one (or two as there was an attempt a week or two later in a different area) incident translates into "crime rate up in Castries". It was a fairly common to anywhere crime of opportunity, where the perps were actually caught and awaiting trial - unlike common muggings in many USA or other country's cities.  

USA just issued their updated travel warnings for St Lucia - no change in warnings or cautions  - a level 1 country, meaning low crime rates against tourists, generally safe, etc. - just use common sense, like you would anywhere.  Serenity Park is lovely - small, so not somewhere one would be sending hours wondering , you can circumnavigate it in maybe 12 minutes - and see all the way around it from anywhere in the park. It's right off the main highway. Cute park for a short stroll.

As noted in many many posts, Castries really isn't much of a city to explore for your average tourist. There's simply not much there, and it's fairly gritty. It's not a quaint village by any means.  There's lots more interesting areas and sights to explore further afield.  

Ma'am I see that you not only reside in St. Lucia but you are also an excellent representative of your home. I find that very commendable, I have been given the privilege of visiting your home on many occasions starting back almost 20 years.

It's getting late here on the east coast and I have to go to bed so I'm not going on some long song and dance about how much fun and how much I LOVE St. Lucia because you already know everything. I'll be back, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Have a nice evening Todd

20 hours ago, TTEllis said:

Ma'am I see that you not only reside in St. Lucia but you are also an excellent representative of your home. I find that very commendable, I have been given the privilege of visiting your home on many occasions starting back almost 20 years.

It's getting late here on the east coast and I have to go to bed so I'm not going on some long song and dance about how much fun and how much I LOVE St. Lucia because you already know everything. I'll be back, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Have a nice evening Todd

Thanks for the kind words, they're much appreciated.  I occasionally wonder if anyone pays them any mind.  Lol. 

Come back so - ice cold Pitons and all the fun and beauty of the island are waiting for you to return!! 

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

Thanks for the kind words, they're much appreciated.  I occasionally wonder if anyone pays them any mind.  Lol. 

Come back so - ice cold Pitons and all the fun and beauty of the island are waiting for you to return!! 

Princess

I certainly pay them mind, and I would hope others who are planning a trip to St. Lucia would certainly do the same. 

Especially if they plan on making the most of there short cruise visit to your home, and Princess if they don't they can "take a self-guided walking tour" around Castries, and MISS the rainforest, MISS the drive up in the mountains, MISS the fishing village of Soufriere( I think that's how you spell it), MISS, YES!!! drinking ICE COLD Pitons ALL DAY LONG(not Caribe's that's on all the OTHER islands😊) MISS all the GREAT food( I eat anything) and here's the best part Princess (take a DEEP breathe) and MISS THE FREAKING PITONS, did you get that?! 

Because granny got her purse snatched in Serenity Park??? OMG, I'm dying!! Don't laugh even though it's very funny!!

I can no longer address something like this without getting another "reminder" from the very nice moderators of Cruise Critic in reference to me😁 using "inappropriate language", I happen to be very fond of this website have been for years, I'm trying to keep it that way.

OMG, I'm still shaking off granny and Serenity Park!!!

You are very eloquent when you discuss your home that's a gift I was not given(couldn't tell it could ya), I'm very sorry I just don't have that.

We are again approaching bedtime( you'all are like Thank God for that!!) Princess one day I'll make an entry about the 1st time I came through the mountains, and saw The Pitons. Another day Princess, have a nice evening.