Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Adrianp1989

6TH MONTH PASSPORT RULE

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

 

your question is rhetorical, 

It was.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

 

OP says the father is a Venezuelan national whose Passport will expire less than 6 months from the cruise date.


I was pointing out that the OP is living in Spain, and it's entirely likely that the OP's Venezuelan father is also living in Spain at this time.  

Everyone giving information pertaining to US citizens and US residents is not being helpful, if in fact the OP's father is a Venezuelan citizen living in Spain.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Does this list pertain to a Venezuelan citizen? 


Of course not. 

 

Nobody is bothering to read the facts of the OP's message, and is only spewing inaccurate and irrelevant information.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there!

 

Thanks for taking the time to comment on the issue. I really just wanted to see if anyone actually went on board an MSC cruise having their passport with an expiration date in less than 6 months.

 

The facts are:

*we are Venezuelan / Spanish and my dad is only Venezuelan. So rules applying only to US or Canadian citizens unfortunately don't work for him.

 

*I know for sure he will be allowed to enter all of the countries the cruise goes. (I have done my research with the embassies). It's only MSC I worry about.

 

*Renewing his passport would be the logical answer (as Spanish I get it) but what happens in Venezuela I doubt many people can get it. Passports are taking more than one year (that if you are lucky that on the due month the mail arrives... maybe it won't and you have to wait fingers crossed another month). It's not logical, it's not human and it shouldn't be happening, but Venezuela lives a very bad dictatorship and that is the fact. I also get that passports are not a priority for anyone when half of the country is trying not to die, and a few ones are very busy trying to hold their bloody regime. So renewing for this trip is out of the question. 

 

* Nobody, not MSC nor my TA is able to give me a clear answer... MSC say they wouldn't risk it and the TA says all the cruise companies have the same rule but don't guarantee anything. Not even when we are 7 people that won't be taking the package.

 

So I'm starting to believe it's everything up to the guy that does the check in and his humour on that day.

 

I have wrote the Miami Port authority so maybe they have some information. If I solve this puzzle I'll let you guys know!! Xxx

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Adrianp1989 said:

 

* Nobody, not MSC nor my TA is able to give me a clear answer... MSC say they wouldn't risk it and the TA says all the cruise companies have the same rule but don't guarantee anything. Not even when we are 7 people that won't be taking the package.

 

So I'm starting to believe it's everything up to the guy that does the check in and his humour on that day.

 

I have wrote the Miami Port authority so maybe they have some information. If I solve this puzzle I'll let you guys know!! Xxx

The Miami Port Authority has no say in the matter and are not at all involved in the check in process. They're just the landlord of the cruise port, its cruise terminals and docking facilities.

 

The check in agents are normally employed by a port servicing company hired by the cruise line. They follow the instructions of the cruise line .

 

Your travel agent is wrong when he/she says all cruise companies follow the same rule. As has already been pointed out some cruise lines establish documentation requirements beyond those mandated by law and regulation. 

 

Unfortunately no one here is likely to be able to provide an accurate answer about requirements for Venezuelan citizens...but that should be obvious to you by now.

 

Good luck in resolving the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My recommendation would be to gather all the information you have from each country's embassy showing that your father is eligible for entry into those countries on his existing passport.  

When you have all of that info together, scan each one and label each file with the name of each country:  CountryNameOne.pdf, CountryNameTwo.pdf, etc.

Then, compile an email stating the facts of the situation, and ask for an official confirmation that your father will be allowed to board the cruise with his existing documentation.  

This email should be simply the facts, laid out in bullet format, short and sweet.  If it's a huge long story full of emotions and backstory details, it won't be as likely to be read in its entirety.  This is an example of how you should write your letter, with other helpful hints here about how to go about the process:

 

  • We are booked on XYZ ship, reservation #123456, departing Miami on MM/DD/YYYY, and visiting CountryOne, CountryTwo, CountryThree.
  • My father has a current Venezuelan passport that will expire MM/DD/YYYY.
  • I have confirmed with CountryOne, CountryTwo, CountryThree that his passport is valid and he is eligible for entry to those countries at the time of our cruise.  Documentation of that eligibility is attached. 
  • I have been unable to get confirmation from your customer service call center that his passport will be accepted for boarding because it will have less than six months before it expires, even though he is eligible for entry into each of the countries listed.  
  • Can your office provide me with something in writing confirming that these boarding documents are acceptable for our reservation #123456, as well as a phone number that can be used on embarkation day to verify this if the port agents don't accept written confirmation and need to speak to someone?
     

Use the FIRST executive contact email address listed here.  If you don't get a response after a week, forward that same email to the second executive contact listed, along with the fact that you had contacted the previous person but not received a response.  Continue up the chain, waiting a week before advancing further.  

It's vital that you get something IN WRITING (email), preferably with a phone number to back it up.  Your cruise likely leaves on a weekend, and so you probably won't be able to contact most people at corporate when you're standing at the port ready to board the ship.

Please post back on this thread and let us know how it all works out!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 10:15 PM, brillohead said:

My recommendation would be to gather all the information you have from each country's embassy showing that your father is eligible for entry into those countries on his existing passport.  

When you have all of that info together, scan each one and label each file with the name of each country:  CountryNameOne.pdf, CountryNameTwo.pdf, etc.

Then, compile an email stating the facts of the situation, and ask for an official confirmation that your father will be allowed to board the cruise with his existing documentation.  

This email should be simply the facts, laid out in bullet format, short and sweet.  If it's a huge long story full of emotions and backstory details, it won't be as likely to be read in its entirety.  This is an example of how you should write your letter, with other helpful hints here about how to go about the process:

 

  • We are booked on XYZ ship, reservation #123456, departing Miami on MM/DD/YYYY, and visiting CountryOne, CountryTwo, CountryThree.
  • My father has a current Venezuelan passport that will expire MM/DD/YYYY.
  • I have confirmed with CountryOne, CountryTwo, CountryThree that his passport is valid and he is eligible for entry to those countries at the time of our cruise.  Documentation of that eligibility is attached. 
  • I have been unable to get confirmation from your customer service call center that his passport will be accepted for boarding because it will have less than six months before it expires, even though he is eligible for entry into each of the countries listed.  
  • Can your office provide me with something in writing confirming that these boarding documents are acceptable for our reservation #123456, as well as a phone number that can be used on embarkation day to verify this if the port agents don't accept written confirmation and need to speak to someone?
     

Use the FIRST executive contact email address listed here.  If you don't get a response after a week, forward that same email to the second executive contact listed, along with the fact that you had contacted the previous person but not received a response.  Continue up the chain, waiting a week before advancing further.  

It's vital that you get something IN WRITING (email), preferably with a phone number to back it up.  Your cruise likely leaves on a weekend, and so you probably won't be able to contact most people at corporate when you're standing at the port ready to board the ship.

Please post back on this thread and let us know how it all works out!!!!

 

Brillohead this seems to be the best option!!  many thanks for taking the time to explain it so detailed!!

 

I'll do it and post here any update!!

 

Have a great weekend you all!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Adrianp1989 said:

 

Brillohead this seems to be the best option!!  many thanks for taking the time to explain it so detailed!!

 

I'll do it and post here any update!!

 

Have a great weekend you all!!


I really hope that this works out well for you!  I hope to soon hear that you got the confirmation you needed and your fears are alleviated so you can relax and look forward to a wonderful family vacation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Won't he need to start renewing now anyway? In these cases, I would err on staying where I know I am safe.  Traveling on a passport that may expire (could happen because unforeseen occurances like an illness) and then being under the control of a country with no valid passport.  Hope this gets resolved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2019 at 5:18 AM, brillohead said:


I really hope that this works out well for you!  I hope to soon hear that you got the confirmation you needed and your fears are alleviated so you can relax and look forward to a wonderful family vacation!

 

Hi Brillohead,

 

I finally got an answer from someone in MSC.

 

Here it goes:

 

"

Good Morning Mr. Pena,

 

Thank you for reaching out.  Sorry to hear of your issue but we are more than happy to assist you with your concern!

 

Please note that Venezuela is exempt from the 6 month validity as per the attached US Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) guidelines.  Kindly keep in mind that the attached file is always subject to change and we suggest to re-confirm with USA Operations for the latest information.

 

If there is anything else you may need help with or should have any additional questions, please feel free to let me know."

 

After this email I asked her directly if provided that, MSC would leave him board. And here it's the answer:

 

 

 

Good Morning,

 

Yes, he will be able to board the ship since Venezuela is exempt from the 6-month rule. Glad we could help!!

 

Please let me know if you should have any additional questions.

 

Have a great day!!

 

 

So I guess I can relax now! I will print out these emails and take them with me just in case.

 

Many thanks to all who took the time to try to help me!!

 

🙂

 

Edited by Adrianp1989

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am SO HAPPY to hear this!   

Now RELAX and have an AMAZING trip with your family!!!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although why anyone would rely on advice from CBP on another countries passport rules, I do not know.

 

The BEST source of info, is the Embassy or a Consulate of that country.  

 

Next best would be the US Department of State.  They have an Embassy in most countries, so would have up to date info.

 

CBP is a US based agency.  With a few people overseas, but ONLY to administer dealing with people and goods traveling TO the US.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, SRF said:

Although why anyone would rely on advice from CBP on another countries passport rules, I do not know.

 

The BEST source of info, is the Embassy or a Consulate of that country.  

 

Next best would be the US Department of State.  They have an Embassy in most countries, so would have up to date info.

 

CBP is a US based agency.  With a few people overseas, but ONLY to administer dealing with people and goods traveling TO the US.  

This is a case of someone traveling to the US. CBP was the appropriate agency to answer the question about whether a Venezuelan national could enter the US with a passport having less than six months remaining validity. Confirmation from CBP that it was legal to do so was key to MSC's approval for a Venezuelan passenger to get a waiver of MSC's internal requirement that all passengers have at least 6 months validity on their passports.

 

My only question is about the OP's original mention of "other countries" that the cruise was visiting. Certainly CBP isn't the right agency to answer that.

Edited by njhorseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2019 at 5:04 PM, njhorseman said:

This is a case of someone traveling to the US. CBP was the appropriate agency to answer the question about whether a Venezuelan national could enter the US with a passport having less than six months remaining validity. Confirmation from CBP that it was legal to do so was key to MSC's approval for a Venezuelan passenger to get a waiver of MSC's internal requirement that all passengers have at least 6 months validity on their passports.

 

My only question is about the OP's original mention of "other countries" that the cruise was visiting. Certainly CBP isn't the right agency to answer that.

 

OK, I missed that.  Yes, for entering the US, CBP would have the answer.  But so would the US Embassy in the country where the passport was issued.

 

And pretty much, the 6 month validity is for situations when a visa is not required.  

Edited by SRF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SRF said:

 

OK, I missed that.  Yes, for entering the US, CBP would have the answer.  But so would the US Embassy in the country where the passport was issued.

 

And pretty much, the 6 month validity is for situations when a visa is not required.  


Given that the country where the passport was issued was Venezuela, and as the OP mentioned, people there have their hands full simply trying not to die, I'm thinking that it's much better to contact US CBP under those circumstances.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys. But my only concern was if MSC would leave him board because they have in their requirements this rule. I had already checked with the embassies of all the countries we will be traveling to and his passport is ok. Also now our interim president just approved Venezuelan expired passport will be accepted too. Although the situation is very complicated many countries have recognized him as the president so I think this will also help us and other venezuelans around the world.

 

Now I think I can relax and plan our holidays 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, brillohead said:


Given that the country where the passport was issued was Venezuela, and as the OP mentioned, people there have their hands full simply trying not to die, I'm thinking that it's much better to contact US CBP under those circumstances.  

 

As long as the Embassy is operational, they will be happy to answer the question.  And provide their normal services.

 

Yes, there are times when the Embassy has reduced staff or may be closed, but otherwise, they are working.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...