Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
lottorus

Statue of Liberty from Cruise Ship

Recommended Posts

Our Canada/NE cruise docks at Cape Liberty,NJ in Oct. Will we be able to see the Statue of Liberty as we come into port? I realize that it will be the middle of the night, but just planning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SOL can be seen at a distance.  You will not sail by her.  However, she will be visible from the port side after docking (the ship turns) and visible from the starboard side while coming into Cape Liberty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To illustrate what Carol wrote above, here's the view of the Statue of Liberty at dawn from the port side of Anthem of the Seas after we docked in Bayonne. (The Statue is not that close, I was using a zoom.)

 

enhance

 

(photo by turtles06)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Empire State Building.  SOL with cruise ship in the background.

IMG_2508.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mskaufman said:

From the Empire State Building.  SOL with cruise ship in the background.

 

Nice!  Thanks for posting.   (Like my photo as well, the ship looks closer to the SOL than it really is.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

 

Nice!  Thanks for posting.   (Like my photo as well, the ship looks closer to the SOL than it really is.) 

I was thinking as I was posting that it looks closer than it really is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mskaufman said:

I was thinking as I was posting that it looks closer than it really is.

 

Great minds think alike.  :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP: get up early to see your ship pass under the Verrazzano.

 

enhance

 

(photo by turtles06)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Bridge picture. Thank you for sharing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To perhaps give you a better idea, this is my photo with a small Fuji digital camera with the zoom turned right up! Spot the SoL!!

image.thumb.png.7583dd5fb241ea128a5fca855bfd30fc.png

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SOL is 2 miles from the Port and this is the closest you will be unless you happen to be on a cruise that does a sail by.  They don't do it very often. Sometimes on holidays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celebrity Summit will often do a sail by-- turn left, go up to about even with the statue and then turn around and sail out of the harbor. It all depends on the captain but it happened to us twice in the past few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2019 at 11:31 AM, Turtles06 said:

OP: get up early to see your ship pass under the Verrazzano.

 

enhance

 

(photo by turtles06)

Assuming that you sail under the bridge at sailaway, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Assuming that you sail under the bridge at sailaway, correct?

 

No, I was commenting about returning to Cape Liberty, hence my advice to “get up early.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 3:05 PM, Turtles06 said:

To illustrate what Carol wrote above, here's the view of the Statue of Liberty at dawn from the port side of Anthem of the Seas after we docked in Bayonne. (The Statue is not that close, I was using a zoom.)

 

enhance

 

(photo by turtles06)

 

I love the OWO in this photo.   What a beautiful picture.  GREAT sky .... thank you for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

Assuming that you sail under the bridge at sailaway, correct?

 

52 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

 

No, I was commenting about returning to Cape Liberty, hence my advice to “get up early.”

However, you do sail under the bridge at both sail away and upon your return. :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

 

However, you do sail under the bridge at both sail away and upon your return. :classic_smile:

 

Yes for sure, assuming it's not a one-way cruise.  :classic_smile:   (The OP was asking about his/her sail-in from a Canada/NE cruise.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...