New restrictions on Cuba

KathyA

The Royal Caribbean line's blog contains a post from an individual who says he spoke with the General Counsel's office at the (US) Office of Foreign Asset Control..  This post says there is nothing official, the regulations are being drafted.

In general, Congress passes and the President signs a bill into law, or the President issues an Executive Order. The appropriate regulatory agency drafts the specific enforcement regulations and terms pursuant to the law.  There is a period of review as lobbyists and interested parties offer comments. And the regulations go into effect with adjustments as needed. 

https://www.*****.com/2019/04/18/so-far-no-changes-royal-caribbeans-cuba-sailings

On 4/20/2019 at 6:56 PM, Cienfuegos said:

$700 for the Havana overnight sounds about right.  The people who did the overnight from Cienfuegos really enjoyed it.

The one day trip folks had a lot of bus time. 

just traveling through Cuba is enlightening. Horse drawn plows, fields of waving sugar cane, abandoned homes, ancient tractors,  truck-buses, kids in school uniforms, street musicians, etc.  I would go back in a minute.

I called Viking yesterday and the price for overnight is $800.00 PP AND $400 pp for 1 day cruise 

I wonder how this would work for people that are allowed to travel to Cuba. Canadian and other European country have been vacationing in Cuba for years. 

So, could Viking still sail there, but just with non-american passenger? Just a though...

• 1 month later...

Well, it has happened. Today the Trump Administration announced a ban on cruise ships going to Cuba. I believe there is an exception if you're already booked, but for cruises in 2021 that are nowhere near filled, I can't believe Viking will continue to sail there. Wondering if they do cancel those cruises, if your Viking travel insurance cost will be refunded.

On 4/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, angelhelly said:

I wonder how this would work for people that are allowed to travel to Cuba. Canadian and other European country have been vacationing in Cuba for years. 

So, could Viking still sail there, but just with non-american passenger? Just a though...

Doubtful there would be enough non-US passenger volume to support a departure from Miami.

19 minutes ago, KathyA said:

Well, it has happened. Today the Trump Administration announced a ban on cruise ships going to Cuba. I believe there is an exception if you're already booked, but for cruises in 2021 that are nowhere near filled, I can't believe Viking will continue to sail there. Wondering if they do cancel those cruises, if your Viking travel insurance cost will be refunded.

Arggg..... was very much looking forward to seeing Cuba.  In this politically charged world, one always has to expect things.  We had things change in France due to demonstrations there recently.  However, the first leg of the World Cruise in Dec 2020 next year leaves from Miami to LA and makes 2 stops in Cuba.  If this ban is still there, wonder if Viking will look to visit some other ports on the way to the Canal.  (or at least have some alternatives lined up)

As of about 10 minutes ago, Viking shows widespread availability on their January and February 2020 travel to Cuba.    Many "available" or "limited availability" classes on several cruise departures.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Viking combined departure dates for Cuba, and redeployed the Viking Sky on other  Caribbean itineraries for the intervening slots.

1 hour ago, KathyA said:

There is no exception.  None.

18 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

As of about 10 minutes ago, Viking shows widespread availability on their January and February 2020 travel to Cuba.    Many "available" or "limited availability" classes on several cruise departures.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Viking combined departure dates for Cuba, and redeployed the Viking Sky on other  Caribbean itineraries for the intervening slots.

If Viking changes Cuba itinerary for either Haiti or Dominican Republic would you accept the change and still book?

I have read Haiti and Dominican Republic are beautiful, and very safe for tourists (cruisers).

Good luck and enjoy.

We visited Cuba with Viking last year, and I enjoyed that trip, mostly.  Would definitely like to stay on the island next time.

I don't have an interest in visiting Haiti or Dominican Republic at this point, so I would decline a re-booking there.

5 hours ago, rag43 said:

Here is the news from CNN … read it to the end, it looks like if you have reservations in by tomorrow , 6/5/2019, you are good to go...

lets see what Viking does with ships that are not sold out...………….

https://apple.news/ArzYGLPeMQNyYWeduxq9AzQ

Love the admins responses to their reasoning for the restrictions. Isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black.  

• Haha 1

If recent events relating to the debacle that was informing guests about the embarkation in Vancouver on Orion is any indication, I wouldn't think Viking isnt going to say very much if anything about these recent changes.

For the likes of Carnival Corp, RCCI and NCLH they will no doubt be working behind the scenes to quickly put alternatives in place and then cascade the information down accordingly to those affected.  Because Viking has such a small presence in the area (Cuba), and as has been stated in different threads, their apparent corporate approach to their customers will no doubt mean they're not too concerned because they're still sitting on their lofty perch with their obvious dedicated base. 

That said, if they continue with this attitude of keeping people in the dark while they fumble along trying to figure things out instead of making timely decisions and informing of the same, they could find themselves slipping as nice ships and nice crew only go so far for so long...

Of course this is still early in the process so I don't think anyone should be hitting the panic button just yet, but it would be nice to know one way or the other if your investment is going to be handled properly, or maybe that's just me?!?

Edited by Captain_Morgan
  • Haha 1

Which Cuba cruise are you booked on Captain Morgan?  We are booked in 2020 and already see that our itinerary is TBD.  We have been advised by Viking rep that we should see the changes in the coming weeks.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

If recent events relating to the debacle that was informing guests about the embarkation in Vancouver on Orion is any indication, I wouldn't think Viking isnt going to say very much if anything about these recent changes.

For the likes of Carnival Corp, RCCI and NCLH they will no doubt be working behind the scenes to quickly put alternatives in place and then cascade the information down accordingly to those affected.  Because Viking has such a small presence in the area (Cuba), and as has been stated in different threads, their apparent corporate approach to their customers will no doubt mean they're not too concerned because they're still sitting on their lofty perch with their obvious dedicated base. 

That said, if they continue with this attitude of keeping people in the dark while they fumble along trying to figure things out instead of making timely decisions and informing of the same, they could find themselves slipping as nice ships and nice crew only go so far for so long.....

I'm not familiar with this incident.

• Haha 1

We are booked on Cultural Cuba in 2021. The entire itinerary is Cuba (from Miami). Our itinerary is also now showing TBD for all ports. Considering that the entire itinerary was Cuba, pretty hard to substitute other ports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Viking's Cultural Cuba itinerary in 2018 was Miami, one at sea day, then to Cienfuegos for a day and a half, then overnight to Santiago de Cuba for a half day, and then a day back to Miami.

No other ports.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, KathyA said:

We are booked on Cultural Cuba in 2021. The entire itinerary is Cuba (from Miami). Our itinerary is also now showing TBD for all ports. Considering that the entire itinerary was Cuba, pretty hard to substitute other ports.

9 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Viking's Cultural Cuba itinerary in 2018 was Miami, one at sea day, then to Cienfuegos for a day and a half, then overnight to Santiago de Cuba for a half day, and then a day back to Miami.

No other ports.

Can they just change the entire cruise since it is not a case of just dropping Cuba?  Imagine if you booked a Mediterranean Cruise and they changed it to a Baltic Cruise (extreme, I know) but a cruise to Cuba is not the same as Caribbean Cruise.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Marykatesmom said:

Can they just change the entire cruise since it is not a case of just dropping Cuba?  Imagine if you booked a Mediterranean Cruise and they changed it to a Baltic Cruise (extreme, I know) but a cruise to Cuba is not the same as Caribbean Cruise.  

That's what I think too. We've traveled extensively in the Caribbean and spend 8 weeks in St. Maarten every year, so I'm really not interested in substitute ports. According to the terms and conditions they do have the right to substitute ports, but since this is a one-destination short cruise, it would be very odd.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, watchdiva said:

Which Cuba cruise are you booked on Captain Morgan?  We are booked in 2020 and already see that our itinerary is TBD.  We have been advised by Viking rep that we should see the changes in the coming weeks.

Sorry, I completely missed your question...apologies....we were discussing booking a trip in 2020 as well but it seems the decision has been made for us....time to watch how this unfolds and how Viking scrambles to accommodate those who've booked who I hope aren't inconvenienced for too long while they figure it all out

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, KathyA said:

We are also booked on Cultural Cuba for 2021.  I am not interested in a substitute cruise, I booked this trip to go to Cuba.

• Haha 1

It will interesting to see what Viking does.  If they off a refund would that include the amount paid for insurance? What incentive would they offer to entice you to rebook?

We shall see!!!

28 minutes ago, Marykatesmom said:

Both RCI and NCL are reaching out to their customers and making offers.  Has anyone heard from Viking?

I think this is what separates the mass market brands from Viking in that the likes of RCI and NCL will no doubt absorb and redistribute those affected into other itineraries/ships of a similar nature due to their presence in the Caribbean.  Because Viking is swinging a double-edged sword in that they often sail completely full but have a much smaller presence in the area it means their options are limited in comparison.  I can see them simply offering a full refund or a transferable credit perhaps, but if recent communications are to be used as an example I wouldn't expect a prompt answer

8 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

I think this is what separates the mass market brands from Viking in that the likes of RCI and NCL will no doubt absorb and redistribute those affected into other itineraries/ships of a similar nature due to their presence in the Caribbean.  Because Viking is swinging a double-edged sword in that they often sail completely full but have a much smaller presence in the area it means their options are limited in comparison.  I can see them simply offering a full refund or a transferable credit perhaps, but if recent communications are to be used as an example I wouldn't expect a prompt answer

I have my air booked already.  I paid for the air, Air Plus, a deviation fee AND an upgrade out of economy (all of that was still cheaper than just buying the seats directly) plus independent travel insurance.  A full refund of my cruise fare alone and we'd still take a loss.