Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, 4Mast said:

We have cruised with NCL and they have 'Dress up or Not Nights' - its left up to you and the compromise doesn't seem to bother anyone.  I have seen male passengers on other cruise lines remove their jacket once at the dining table -bow tie seems to go quickly as well !

The issue I have with the 'formal nights' is when flying to the departure port and the luggage restrictions!

 

Seams a pity to me to have a formal night than not bother to follow the rules so the need to dress up is pointless,so I wander why they continue with it when the guests on NCL have no interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 4Mast said:

We have cruised with NCL and they have 'Dress up or Not Nights' - its left up to you and the compromise doesn't seem to bother anyone.  I have seen male passengers on other cruise lines remove their jacket once at the dining table -bow tie seems to go quickly as well !

The issue I have with the 'formal nights' is when flying to the departure port and the luggage restrictions!

 

A sensible compromise - and maybe the way P&O will go.  It's mainly for the oldies, who, let's face it, aren't the future of cruising, and although some younger people relish it, most don't and see it as a good reason for avoiding P&O.  And it's not good for any company to be alienating an age group - think M&S!

 

Really can't see why there shouldn't be a genuine freedom of choice. That way the formal brigade get their way, and the rest get theirs - win, win. A few requirements, maybe, to rule out the shorts and T-shirts if that's what people want.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tom Marton said:

A sensible compromise - and maybe the way P&O will go.  It's mainly for the oldies, who, let's face it, aren't the future of cruising, and although some younger people relish it, most don't and see it as a good reason for avoiding P&O.  And it's not good for any company to be alienating an age group - think M&S!

 

Really can't see why there shouldn't be a genuine freedom of choice. That way the formal brigade get their way, and the rest get theirs - win, win. A few requirements, maybe, to rule out the shorts and T-shirts if that's what people want.

 

I was under the impression that you could dress casual but not in certain restaurants we’re they have formal nights so catering for all tastes,or is that wrong and I am 60 my wife’s age is ? and I would not classify myself old but I enjoy the occasional dressing up for dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I was under the impression that you could dress casual but not in certain restaurants we’re they have formal nights so catering for all tastes,or is that wrong and I am 60 my wife’s age is ? and I would not classify myself old but I enjoy the occasional dressing up for dinner.

Catering for all tastes - except for those who want to eat decent food, in a decent environment, without additional charges. Which basically means one of the MDRs, and they're currently barred to anyone not sporting at least a dark suit.

 

Dress up by all means, but why force others to?  Maybe one of the MDRs should be formal and another informal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tom Marton said:

Catering for all tastes - except for those who want to eat decent food, in a decent environment, without additional charges. Which basically means one of the MDRs, and they're currently barred to anyone not sporting at least a dark suit.

 

Dress up by all means, but why force others to?  Maybe one of the MDRs should be formal and another informal.

 

I agree I had no idea all the MDRs were formal only I thought it was just one,you also now got me thinking the rest of the restaurants are somewhat substandard with food accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I agree I had no idea all the MDRs were formal only I thought it was just one,you also now got me thinking the rest of the restaurants are somewhat substandard with food accordingly.

The food in the MDR's is good, and it's pretty civilised, unlike the buffet.  It's always struck me as a bit unfair to force people out of all the MDRs on formal nights just because someone doesn't have a dark suit or a DJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom Marton said:

The food in the MDR's is good, and it's pretty civilised, unlike the buffet.  It's always struck me as a bit unfair to force people out of all the MDRs on formal nights just because someone doesn't have a dark suit or a DJ.

You have read the brochures and know the dress codes for all the cruise lines, so just choose one that suits you, but leave others to enjoy formal night's  where everyone tries to follow the guidance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tom Marton said:

The food in the MDR's is good, and it's pretty civilised, unlike the buffet.  It's always struck me as a bit unfair to force people out of all the MDRs on formal nights just because someone doesn't have a dark suit or a DJ.

Easy then book a cruise that doesnt do formal dress or dont go on a cruise. Just dont book a cruise that clearly states formal nights are held, but not every night, then whinge about standards of dress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4Mast said:

We have cruised with NCL and they have 'Dress up or Not Nights' - its left up to you and the compromise doesn't seem to bother anyone.  I have seen male passengers on other cruise lines remove their jacket once at the dining table -bow tie seems to go quickly as well !

The issue I have with the 'formal nights' is when flying to the departure port and the luggage restrictions!

 

The same on Marella, they call it Dress to Impress night although there is no compulsion. Lots of people dress up including some with tuxedo. Having done lots of formal nights my dress to impress stuff is now a fancy shirt and black chinos

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, terrierjohn said:

You have read the brochures and know the dress codes for all the cruise lines, so just choose one that suits you, but leave others to enjoy formal night's  where everyone tries to follow the guidance.

This will be our first cruise we chose it purely because it gave us a choice,our second one is with our daughter and her partner it is with Marella they wanted a more informal holiday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You have read the brochures and know the dress codes for all the cruise lines, so just choose one that suits you, but leave others to enjoy formal night's  where everyone tries to follow the guidance.

But if I happen to prefer P&O and can't find another one that suits?  Which is pretty much the situation.

I'm more than happy for those who like to dress up to have their enjoyment, but shouldn't there be 'free' dining with table service for those who don't? And I really don't see that my wearing, say, green trousers and a red jacket, with shirt and tie, is going to cause anyone any problems - surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tom Marton said:

Catering for all tastes - except for those who want to eat decent food, in a decent environment, without additional charges. Which basically means one of the MDRs, and they're currently barred to anyone not sporting at least a dark suit.

 

Dress up by all means, but why force others to?  Maybe one of the MDRs should be formal and another informal.

 

Good idea, all P&O ships already have at least two main dining rooms. One could be fixed tables and dinner suits etc and the freestyle one 'dress to impress' - oops, can of worms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Good idea, all P&O ships already have at least two main dining rooms. One could be fixed tables and dinner suits etc and the freestyle one 'dress to impress' - oops, can of worms

Can't see the problem with it, personally.  Freedom of choice for everyone - everybody wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tom Marton said:

But if I happen to prefer P&O and can't find another one that suits?  Which is pretty much the situation.

I'm more than happy for those who like to dress up to have their enjoyment, but shouldn't there be 'free' dining with table service for those who don't? And I really don't see that my wearing, say, green trousers and a red jacket, with shirt and tie, is going to cause anyone any problems - surely?

Green and red! I remember Arcadia on jacket required evenings, the dining room looked like a tramps convention with lots of very unimpressive jackets in evidence such as 30 year old blazers with genuine gravy stains, boating regatta jackets in every colour and even the occasional rain jacket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when I first went on a cruise in 2001, I was really worried about the formal nights, as we had never worn evening dress before. On the first formal night, I was looking out of the cabin door spyhole, seeing what people were wearing when they went past! 

 

Back then, on formal nights I wore long evening dresses, although I have now moved to 'cocktail' length dresses and evening trousers with sparkly tops.

 

One thing I have learned is that women have their own individual interpretation of formal.  Some are dressed up to the nines and others wear what I think of as quite plain skirts and tops.  Therefore, most women will blend in somewhere on that scale.

 

The longer I've cruised, the less fussed I am about formal nights.  I think two in a two week cruise would be sufficient.  The captain's welcome aboard party and the farewell party.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Green and red! I remember Arcadia on jacket required evenings, the dining room looked like a tramps convention with lots of very unimpressive jackets in evidence such as 30 year old blazers with genuine gravy stains, boating regatta jackets in every colour and even the occasional rain jacket.

Good point, and you echo my thoughts exactly. Scruffy old DJs don't somehow magic their owners into being people they're very plainly not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice the few on here do not wish the formal nights to continue,than become dress police complaining how there fellow guests dress using that as a excuse to stop it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For smart casual nights, a pair of black or dark jeans and a nice top for women is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this rate it will be leggings some nights. 

 

This week im going is literally to “test the waters” really do see how the kids take to it. If it goes bad we will cancel the two we have next year. It’s either go one way or the other. We either dress up kids behave and watch entertainment or go kids club. Or the kids get annoying or fed up or don’t like the kids club and we have movies in the cabin then there will have been no need for dressing up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

At this rate it will be leggings some nights. 

 

This week im going is literally to “test the waters” really do see how the kids take to it. If it goes bad we will cancel the two we have next year. It’s either go one way or the other. We either dress up kids behave and watch entertainment or go kids club. Or the kids get annoying or fed up or don’t like the kids club and we have movies in the cabin then there will have been no need for dressing up

We've just got back from our first P&O cruise - I’ll be interested to hear how you get on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, arendale1 said:

We've just got back from our first P&O cruise - I’ll be interested to hear how you get on. 

 

Have started doing trip reports so may post how I get on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely you research the do’s and don’ts of the ship before booking.  If you don’t like some of the policies and rules etc sail with a different cruise line.  We had our first cruise last year and researched lots of lines and decided that P&O suited us more than others. We are not posh, rich or extravagant, we saved hard for a holiday to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, my 60th and my retirement, and found the Britannia to be brilliant. Loved the formal nights, yes luckily I had a tux from my retirement presentation, but if I had not got one I did have other back up suits which would have been sufficient. We enjoyed the cruise so much we have booked again for this year,  same ship same cabin.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, branddad said:

Surely you research the do’s and don’ts of the ship before booking.  If you don’t like some of the policies and rules etc sail with a different cruise line.  We had our first cruise last year and researched lots of lines and decided that P&O suited us more than others. We are not posh, rich or extravagant, we saved hard for a holiday to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, my 60th and my retirement, and found the Britannia to be brilliant. Loved the formal nights, yes luckily I had a tux from my retirement presentation, but if I had not got one I did have other back up suits which would have been sufficient. We enjoyed the cruise so much we have booked again for this year,  same ship same cabin.  

I had a Tux from a retirement dinner tried it on today and it as shrunk in the wardrobe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tom Marton said:

But if I happen to prefer P&O and can't find another one that suits?  Which is pretty much the situation.

I'm more than happy for those who like to dress up to have their enjoyment, but shouldn't there be 'free' dining with table service for those who don't? And I really don't see that my wearing, say, green trousers and a red jacket, with shirt and tie, is going to cause anyone any problems - surely?

 

52 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I had a Tux from a retirement dinner tried it on today and it as shrunk in the wardrobe.

I have 3 like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...