Cuba.....uh, oh.

goosemay

Just now, EngIceDave said:

I don't mean to be "arguing"

I though we were engaging in a conversation about Cuba being taken off the US Cruises map, what line is doing what, what MSC is doing, and is that fair?

My apologies

I think the topic has been exhausted. I'm sure everyone here now is aware of the legalities of the cruise lines vs. What they can/will do. It's time to merely wait out the decision and decide if you personally are happy with it and will continue with MSC (or any of the lines really) or will choose to go elsewhere. Only individuals can make that call, nothing anyone on this board says is gonna change that.

8 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

I don't mean to be "arguing"

I though we were engaging in a conversation about Cuba being taken off the US Cruises map, what line is doing what, what MSC is doing, and is that fair?

My apologies

It's pointless arguing about the legal standpoint, which we all understand and accept it as is.

"Not my fault, not my problem" mindset doesn't work in the hospitality industry. They are in the business of keeping customers happy so they would come back. It's simply part of the business cost.

I think NCL's compensation is fair and they probably still come out ahead if people book another cruise with the credit. It's all about win-win.  

• Like 1

I know I said earlier that MSC's lack of communication was justified, but I'm starting to get upset. I saw the message on the website that said something would be coming tonight at the latest, but I really wanna know what's up. My cruise is in 10 days. I think we are still going to go through it, especially if they're gonna offer 50% compensation in return for people who stick it out. The way I see it, that is excursion/beach club money, and assuming there are many people (like on this thread right now) that cancel it because they cannot get to Cuba, an already-small ship will be practically empty. But, I still want to know what's going on so I can plan accordingly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OceansOfTravels said:

I know I said earlier that MSC's lack of communication was justified, but I'm starting to get upset. I saw the message on the website that said something would be coming tonight at the latest, but I really wanna know what's up. My cruise is in 10 days. I think we are still going to go through it, especially if they're gonna offer 50% compensation in return for people who stick it out. The way I see it, that is excursion/beach club money, and assuming there are many people (like on this thread right now) that cancel it because they cannot get to Cuba, an already-small ship will be practically empty. But, I still want to know what's going on so I can plan accordingly. 

We received our E tickets with Cuba and all still on them. I think we better not print them just yet. 😂😂😂 We sail in 25 days...

4 hours ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Us as well. This is our first but between other issues with website and customer service... already got a bad taste. This all happened within the last month. If they give us nothing.... definetly lost some Americans. I would think with that new terminal in Miami they would be more careful to keep people happy.

Same here. Dreadful issues with website, booking, and customer service. Horrendous, and lots of wasted time and energy.

Will be my first and last cruise with MSC.

Really regret booking with MSC, should have really stayed with RCCL and Carnival.

14 minutes ago, OceansOfTravels said:

Way too early to know for sure, but this could indeed be a win-win for us: compensation from MSC and a relatively empty ship. No waiting at bars, pools, etc. Sounds perfect! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Here's the press release we just received:

MSC Cruises updates Caribbean itineraries including Cuba following changes made by the U.S. administration

Geneva, Switzerland, June 6, 2019 - In connection with the U.S. Administration changes to regulations regarding travel to Cuba which eliminate as of June 5 the prior authorization permitting cruise ships to travel from the U.S. to Cuba, MSC Cruises will modify effective immediately all its cruise itineraries previously scheduled to call that country.

Due to these substantial changes in U.S. law and regulation, MSC Armonia is no longer authorized to call the port of Havana, Cuba, as part of her current Caribbean sailings. The alternative ports of either Key West, Florida; Costa Maya, Mexico; George Town, Cayman Islands; or Cozumel, Mexico will replace Havana, Cuba. The remainder of MSC Armonia’s itinerary will remain as originally planned.

Guests currently on board MSC Armonia and their travel agents have already been informed and have been offered the following options:

-        $400 USD per stateroom as onboard credit. If this credit is not fully used during the cruise, MSC Cruises will refund the difference upon check-out from the ship. Any shore excursions in Havana that were pre-purchased before the cruise, or which are included in the ticket, will be automatically refunded to the Guest’s onboard account.

-        The possibility to change ship and itinerary. MSC Cruises will waive cancellation fees and transfer already paid funds to the new booking.

2 minutes ago, Erica@cruisecritic said:

MSC Cruises updates Caribbean itineraries including Cuba following changes made by the U.S. administration

Geneva, Switzerland, June 6, 2019 - In connection with the U.S. Administration changes to regulations regarding travel to Cuba which eliminate as of June 5 the prior authorization permitting cruise ships to travel from the U.S. to Cuba, MSC Cruises will modify effective immediately all its cruise itineraries previously scheduled to call that country.

Due to these substantial changes in U.S. law and regulation, MSC Armonia is no longer authorized to call the port of Havana, Cuba, as part of her current Caribbean sailings. The alternative ports of either Key West, Florida; Costa Maya, Mexico; George Town, Cayman Islands; or Cozumel, Mexico will replace Havana, Cuba. The remainder of MSC Armonia’s itinerary will remain as originally planned.

Guests currently on board MSC Armonia and their travel agents have already been informed and have been offered the following options:

-        $400 USD per stateroom as onboard credit. If this credit is not fully used during the cruise, MSC Cruises will refund the difference upon check-out from the ship. Any shore excursions in Havana that were pre-purchased before the cruise, or which are included in the ticket, will be automatically refunded to the Guest’s onboard account.

-        The possibility to change ship and itinerary. MSC Cruises will waive cancellation fees and transfer already paid funds to the new booking.

How did you receive this info?  So far I have not receive any sort of email, call, or text from MSC re: my upcoming August 2019 "Cuba" cruise.

1 minute ago, docboy said:

How did you receive this info?  So far I have not receive any sort of email, call, or text from MSC re: my upcoming August 2019 "Cuba" cruise.

I work for Cruise Critic! 😉 They sent the release to their media distribution list. I haven't checked to see if they posted on their website.

7 minutes ago, Erica@cruisecritic said:

Interesting that they are not refunding prepaid excursions back to the original form of payment.  Hopefully if you don't use it onboard you will get it all back in the end anyway. 

If I am reading this correctly it says those who are currently on board a ship today will be getting the $400 onboard credit. It does not address what those of us who have future cruises booked will be getting. Can The Cruise Critic rep clarify this for us please. Thank you.

Just went to the MSC website they posted as of 10:30 this morning. They did say that those currently on board will get $400 per stateroom. It also mentions in the last three lines that those who have future Cruise will be able to cancel and rebook on another Cruise. It mentions nothing about compensation for the loss of cuba. Are they kidding me?? Go to some of theother Cruise Lines websites and look what they are giving their passengers. 

17 minutes ago, travelwide said:

If I am reading this correctly it says those who are currently on board a ship today will be getting the $400 onboard credit. It does not address what those of us who have future cruises booked will be getting. Can The Cruise Critic rep clarify this for us please. Thank you.

Oh, good point. The wording is rather confusing. I will chase the PR.

11 minutes ago, Wyoming2010 said:

$400 USD per stateroom as onboard credit. If this credit is not fully used during the cruise, MSC Cruises will refund the difference upon check-out from the ship. Any shore excursions in Havana that were pre-purchased before the cruise, or which are included in the ticket, will be automatically refunded to the Guest’s onboard account.

I'll take it - seems fair for something that I acknowledge is not their fault. 

I just made final payment a week ago so this news was disappointing, but not entirely unexpected. It was first mentioned in April, I think.

The reopening of Cuba was always on shaky ground anyway - we were making claims about education/support, on excursions we all knew were just tourism.

What one President gives, another can take away, and I doubt that the lines will take this kind of costly risk again. 

• Like 2

The US MSC website homepage has a link for Cuba Update that states future cruisers to Cuba will be given the option to cancel and cancellation policies will be suspended.  All $ paid will be transferred to new booking.  

So....no OBC, no  partial refund.  Only the 'opportunity' to change ship etc.

Very disappointed.  Will be my first and last experience with MSC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tymike said:

The US MSC website homepage has a link for Cuba Update that states future cruisers to Cuba will be given the option to cancel and cancellation policies will be suspended.  All $ paid will be transferred to new booking.  

Same here. 

1 minute ago, tymike said:

And mine!  How can we change now?  Due to sail in 10 days.  Flights and accommodation booked in line with cruise.  Cannot change flights without losing loads of money.  We've got Hobson's choice, ie no choice and have to go along with whatever alternative itinerary they decide upon.  Bad show, MSC, bad show!  I knew this would be a different cruise experience to our preferred line, Azamara, but this really is not good.

• Like 1

This is definitely not good PR on msc's part. Those in Switzerland who made up this press release need to get with the American program. I don't know who is going to be booking this ship in the future without having the Havana option. That was the main reason for even booking this ship. There are so many other ships from South Florida that are doing the same itineraries.

• Like 1

I'd be happy to cancel the whole thing at this point, but not without a refund.  I also have air (with insurance) and hotels.  I looked at the dates that Seaside sails from Miami, but it doesn't work with our flights.  

Any chance they will revise their response?

If they were this stupid to make such a statement I don't know what the chances are of them changing it. Perhaps if they get enough push back from travel agents and customers they will do something. My heart goes out to those who have hotels and airfare that will be impacted by this.

Just now, travelwide said:

If they were this stupid to make such a statement I don't know what the chances are of them changing it. Perhaps if they get enough push back from travel agents and customers they will do something. My heart goes out to those who have hotels and airfare that will be impacted by this.

We're Brits so it's a long haul for us to go on an old ship just to cruise round ports we have been to many times before.  On our last cruise,  a 17 day TA Rio to Lisbon my DH had a stroke and we were debarked in Brazil and spent a week in hospital and a week waiting for flights home.  Seems we're jinxed!