Cuba.....uh, oh.

goosemay

I’m currently reading that all ships are keeping their itineraries to Cuba until further notice. Sounds like they are playing hardball. A bit of arm wrestling in support of the customers and their interests. I like it! Headed out on Monday. Good luck!! 

18 hours ago, sandy999 said:

Yes we are also on that cruise.   Called MSC today and they suggested that the cruise would still call at Havana.  If UK citizen we were advised we were fine.  So at this point the cruise is still scheduled to dock in Havana.

Yes, but the majority of passengers will be American, so you can bet the itinerary will be switched to avoid Havana.

They haven’t set a date for the embargo to start yet, so no one outside of the White House knows what’s going on! 

Recent reviews, although limited in number, haven't indicated the majority of passengers were American. 

If Trump wishes to introduce changes such as these, do they not have to be passed and approved by the Government? I admit that I don't know the American process but do the Senate or who ever, need to agree rather than one person deciding on a whim to change foreign policy? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

If Trump wishes to introduce changes such as these, do they not have to be passed and approved by the Government? I admit that I don't know the American process but do the Senate or who ever, need to agree rather than one person deciding on a whim to change foreign policy? 

A lot of policy changes require congress (both the Senate and House of Representatives) to vote on before being signed by the president.  But the president has a huge amount of executive power that does not require Congressional approval.  My understanding is the president can impose the restrictions in questions unilaterally. 

12 hours ago, rwdtgb said:

We are heading to Cuba (I think) on the April 29 Armonia sailing. If given the choice and the stop in Cuba was cancelled I would cancel the cruise and book the Seaside for a later date.

I think you might be the guinea pigs.  You're supposed to be in Havana on the 4th and 5th, right?

8 hours ago, Bollinge said:

They haven’t set a date for the embargo to start yet, so no one outside of the White House knows what’s going on! 

What makes you think anyone in the WH knows what is going on?! 😊  I am starting,  sadly,  looking for alternatives for my Cuba cruise for next February.  I will probably be back on the Divina again,  plan B. 

The President doesn't have to do anything and the existing laws take over May 2nd.  A fairly good article related to travelers:

http://spintheglobe.net/dir/2019/04/17/how-new-cuba-travel-restrictions-may-affect-future-cruises-and-flights/

In addition he has also stated he will limit the existing 12 licenses to only those having family in Cuba.

Edited by Boschmann
  • Like 1

We went on the Armonia to Cuba in March. Compared to our NCL 2017 trip, which was mostly Americans,  It was most definitely NOT Americans as the majority on Armonia. In fact, we were a very distinct minority. So 80-85% of the ship will still get to go ashore and I guess the Americans can enjoy the uncrowded pool (with gelato bar!) and common areas.

If Cuba won’t let Americans in, then MSC should do the right thing and let you cancel without penalty if you choose to. Personally, without the Cuba stop, you’re booked on a mediocre ship and a dull itinerary as well. It’s a bummer. I am poised to go to Cuba again October 2020 on the new Scarlet Lady. If Cuba is off that itinerary, I’m still going!

We booked the April 29th sailing on the Armonia because of the 2 day stop in Havana.   It that gets cancelled we will be very disappointed and will try to cancel.   We have air fare that is not refundable and also hotel in Miami so we will lose a lot of money.   Hope it does not get changed.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, alexadeparis said:

We went on the Armonia to Cuba in March. Compared to our NCL 2017 trip, which was mostly Americans,  It was most definitely NOT Americans as the majority on Armonia. In fact, we were a very distinct minority. So 80-85% of the ship will still get to go ashore and I guess the Americans can enjoy the uncrowded pool (with gelato bar!) and common areas.

If Cuba won’t let Americans in, then MSC should do the right thing and let you cancel without penalty if you choose to. Personally, without the Cuba stop, you’re booked on a mediocre ship and a dull itinerary as well. It’s a bummer. I am poised to go to Cuba again October 2020 on the new Scarlet Lady. If Cuba is off that itinerary, I’m still going!

Not a matter of Cuba not allowing Americans in, more a case of Americans not being allowed to travel to Cuba!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sidari said:

Not a matter of Cuba not allowing Americans in, more a case of Americans not being allowed to travel to Cuba!

Precisely, not a restriction by Cuba on who visits, it's Donald that is deciding to restrict American's traveling to Cuba.

9 minutes ago, rwdtgb said:

I agree Mexico 8, I hope when we get to Miami and check in we don't get the surprise letter that our itinerary has changed.

Me either... as we booked this cruise and line for Cuba. If Cuba is off, they better give us something as this is a older ship we wouldn't have booked otherwise.... if they dont.... will probably be my one and only MSC cruise.

1 hour ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Me either... as we booked this cruise and line for Cuba. If Cuba is off, they better give us something as this is a older ship we wouldn't have booked otherwise.... if they dont.... will probably be my one and only MSC cruise.

You could try, but I don’t think the US government will give you anything for changing foreign policy. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mexico8 said:

We booked the April 29th sailing on the Armonia because of the 2 day stop in Havana.   It that gets cancelled we will be very disappointed and will try to cancel.   We have air fare that is not refundable and also hotel in Miami so we will lose a lot of money.   Hope it does not get changed.

You can still fly to Miami and hop on another ship or do a land vacation there. Lot of cruises leaving Miami daily. There will always be a Plan B if you are willing to improvise.

Sfaa - We mainly booked the cruise because of the 2 day stop in Havana.   We have been to all the other places and they were not important to us.    An 8 day cruise was appealing mainly because of Havana and if it gets cancelled we will be very disappointed.

I appreciate your disappointment re Havana. But rather than losing hundreds or may be thousands on nonrefundable hotel and airfare, I would still fly to Miami and make the most of a planned vacation gone sideway. 

• Like 1