Luggage Question for Alaska Land and Sea Tour on Coral

We will be on the Coral in May for our land and sea tour of Alaska. We are doing the land portion first and then southbound through the glaciers. We fly to Fairbanks and spend a few days there, then bus to Denali. My understanding is we will have all of our luggage with us while in Fairbanks. The day we leave Fairbanks to bus to Denali, they will take our "Cruise luggage" and get it to the ship for us but we won't see it again until we board the ship. Our "Land luggage" will be transported to Denali on the bus with us but of course we won't have access to it. And we can only bring a small carry-on on the bus. Same on the train to Whittier. Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks for the help!! Getting so excited!!!

You will have access to your land luggage at the lodges. It will bedelivered to your room and will be picked up on a schedule before you depart for your next destination.  You will have no access to your cruise luggage until you get to the ship.

22 minutes ago, Potstech said:

You will have access to your land luggage at the lodges. It will bedelivered to your room and will be picked up on a schedule before you depart for your next destination.  You will have no access to your cruise luggage until you get to the ship.

So our cruise luggage won't even come to Fairbanks with us? It goes from the airport to storage and then the ship?  

10 minutes ago, JSandage said:

So our cruise luggage won't even come to Fairbanks with us? It goes from the airport to storage and then the ship?  

No, your first take was correct. All your bags will go with you to the lodge in Fairbanks. Before you leave for Denali, your "cruise bag" will be taken. You get your other bag at each stop and can take a small carryon/backpack with you on the bus or train (make sure your docs, any meds, & anything else valuable fits in this). You will be given explicit instructions at each stop. Have a wonderful time!

Edited by WisCruiser2
1 hour ago, JSandage said:

We will be on the Coral in May for our land and sea tour of Alaska. We are doing the land portion first and then southbound through the glaciers. We fly to Fairbanks and spend a few days there, then bus to Denali. My understanding is we will have all of our luggage with us while in Fairbanks. The day we leave Fairbanks to bus to Denali, they will take our "Cruise luggage" and get it to the ship for us but we won't see it again until we board the ship. Our "Land luggage" will be transported to Denali on the bus with us but of course we won't have access to it. And we can only bring a small carry-on on the bus. Same on the train to Whittier. Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks for the help!! Getting so excited!!!

Please come join us on the roll call!

7 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

No, your first take was correct. All your bags will go with you to the lodge in Fairbanks. Before you leave for Denali, your "cruise bag" will be taken. You get your other bag at each stop and can take a small carryon/backpack with you on the bus or train (make sure your docs, any meds, & anything else valuable fits in this). You will be given explicit instructions at each stop. Have a wonderful time!

Thanks so much for your help!!

By the way, if you're traveling with a single suitcase that holds both your land and cruise items, there's no need to use the "meet me later" tag to have some of your luggage sent directly to the ship.  Hubby and I pack a suitcase each and those have followed us around on our two previous cruisetours.  The luggage that you use during the land portion of your tour doesn't travel on your bus with you but is delivered to each lodge room that you inhabit during the trip.  You'll be given luggage tags and the schedule listing the time your luggage has to be outside your room each travel day for pick up.  It's usually early in the morning.  Princess has this down to a science and it all works out quite well.

7 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

By the way, if you're traveling with a single suitcase that holds both your land and cruise items, there's no need to use the "meet me later" tag to have some of your luggage sent directly to the ship.  

Thank you for your post and information. We are using a single suitcase and doing laundry one the ship!  We are doing several days before and after the cruise and don't want to drag around luggage.    We are each taking a single suitcase (24 inch) and a backpack. That is it, for three weeks. 

53 minutes ago, bobbismith said:

Thank you for your post and information. We are using a single suitcase and doing laundry one the ship!  We are doing several days before and after the cruise and don't want to drag around luggage.    We are each taking a single suitcase (24 inch) and a backpack. That is it, for three weeks. 

You are very efficient packers!  Princess will still do the luggage handling for you even with a 24 inch suitcase but they are very quick to deliver the suitcases to each destination.

2 hours ago, bobbismith said:

Also, just for information, the lodges also have laundry facilities.

6 hours ago, JSandage said:

Some of the time your land luggage will not be on the bus/train you are on, but will be on a truck to your next destination.

You can see how this was handled for us a few years ago in my report at

10 hours ago, land lover said:

We are doing the opposite land after our cruise and we are each just taking a carry-on... and backpack...how will that work?

Even if it's a carryon, Princess will take it to your next destination. You won't use the "Meet me at my final destination" (or whatever they say) tags. The backpack stays with you. Again, you'll get specific instructions 🙂

9 hours ago, caribill said:

Some of the time your land luggage will not be on the bus/train you are on, but will be on a truck to your next destination.

Loved reading about your tour!! Thanks so much, we can't wait to go!

On 4/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, caribill said:

This was such a helpful thread for us when we took our first land tour. I have pointed numerous folks to the thread as it has so much helpful information. It was actually a major reason we went with the connoisseur tour when we did a 13 day the first time in 2016. We fly out on the 17th to do a 15 day connoisseur. I think anybody who is contemplating an Alaska cruise tour should read this thread.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

This was such a helpful thread for us when we took our first land tour. I have pointed numerous folks to the thread as it has so much helpful information. It was actually a major reason we went with the connoisseur tour when we did a 13 day the first time in 2016. We fly out on the 17th to do a 15 day connoisseur. I think anybody who is contemplating an Alaska cruise tour should read this thread.

Thanks for the compliment.

Enjoy your 15 day Alaska cruise/tour in May.

22 hours ago, caribill said:

Thanks for the compliment.

Enjoy your 15 day Alaska cruise/tour in May.

I wanted to say thanks, also.  There was a wealth of information there.  I feel like we know what to do now.   I do want to ask 1 question though.  We saw the size of the totes you can bring etc but it it ok to bring one large back pack as long as you keep if with you.  My DH is bringing his laptop in it :). Thanks

5 hours ago, gremlinbangles said:

I wanted to say thanks, also.  There was a wealth of information there.  I feel like we know what to do now.   I do want to ask 1 question though.  We saw the size of the totes you can bring etc but it it ok to bring one large back pack as long as you keep if with you.  My DH is bringing his laptop in it :). Thanks

As long as you do not mind feeling crowded at your seat, no problem.

On the bus, often such a backpack could be stored in their normal luggage compartment, but I would not want to do that with a bag holding a computer.