WHAT Happens to the Cuba cruises

wesport

Just left Ovation May 30 and spoke to Destinations and was assured the Cubacruises will go on. She gave me a copy of the latest Q&A on Cuba and seemed very sure the cruises to Cuba will be on. She assured me I would be kept informed if there should be any change made. I am booked on 4/11/19: not my best choice but family Thanksgiving plan set in stone so the 28th not possible. Keeping my fingers crossed.

21 hours ago, jgn said:

Just left Ovation May 30 and spoke to Destinations and was assured the Cubacruises will go on. She gave me a copy of the latest Q&A on Cuba and seemed very sure the cruises to Cuba will be on. She assured me I would be kept informed if there should be any change made. I am booked on 4/11/19: not my best choice but family Thanksgiving plan set in stone so the 28th not possible. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Since you are from Florida you are booked on 11/4/19, not 4/11/19 which would already be in your memory.

This article is from June 4th---I can't really tell if it is new information for not--but I am posting it here just in case there is anything new or current in it for those concerned about this issue:  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/trump-administration-bans-educational-and-recreational-travel-to-cuba?fbclid=IwAR3_lZkWlUeVgGo2xGXG62TbvGZ4MsQBlz5NBk0yXzDMhAt2i-oA8JE_Mfo

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

This article is from June 4th---I can't really tell if it is new information for not--but I am posting it here just in case there is anything new or current in it for those concerned about this issue:  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/trump-administration-bans-educational-and-recreational-travel-to-cuba?fbclid=IwAR3_lZkWlUeVgGo2xGXG62TbvGZ4MsQBlz5NBk0yXzDMhAt2i-oA8JE_Mfo

As I understand, this is new, and cruise stops are explicitly banned, although the article you quoted doesn't mention that.  People-to-people is dead according to this.

Just copied the text below from an Associated Press piece today (June 4):

“Cruise ships as well as recreational and pleasure vessels are prohibited from departing the U.S. on temporary sojourn to Cuba effective tomorrow,” the Commerce Department said in a statement to The Associated Press.

There are a lot of details we still need. Will Americans on a cruise ship not flagged in the US and not coming from a US port be able to go to Cuba? Also, travel is permitted if there is already a financial transaction before  June 5 — so will an existing deposit on a cruise be sufficient to allow us to go this December? 

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/04/politics/us-cuba-travel-restrictions/index.html

2 hours ago, wesport said:

I knew it was too good to be true, Cuba via Seabourn. Was really looking forward to that cruise.

Then again the policy can get reversed in time for fall travels. Don’t give up hope.

This was on both the PBS evening news as well as the French news that we see on TV5.  Lots of questions in my mind, but primarily if the new prohibitions can apply to cruise ships that are registered in countries other than the US, as almost 100% are.  Or what about cruises that originate somewhere other than the US?  Still, disturbing news.

3 hours ago, jozi said:

Then again the policy can get reversed in time for fall travels. Don’t give up hope.

Whatever the Trump administration wants..they get.  2020 is an election year and this is great for the anti-Castro Cubans in Miami.  They vote and Florida is always a crucial state. Hope I'm wrong.

• Thanks 1

Well yes, this is all about politics and Florida is an important swing state.  But think about this:  Puerto Ricans may now outnumber Cubans in Florida, and third-generation Cuban-Americans have little interest in anti-Castro politics.

Your itinerary may change from visiting Cuba to visiting Haiti and/or the Dominican Republic.   I hear Haiti and D.R. are beautiful, people friendly and welcoming to tourists (cruisers).    Very safe countries for tourists.

So, if you are already booked for a cruise with port call(s) in Cuba, and it is changed to Haiti or the Dominican Republic, will you still go?  Or cancel?

Good luck.

We will cancel if the cruise won’t go to Cuba. To us, that was the primary draw of this cruise. The price was on the high side, but we decided to go for it for the multiple days in Cuba. We won’t spend that much for a “routine” Caribbean cruise.

Fortunately, the news broke early enough for us to change our plans. We’ll wait a few days for the dust to settle and see what Seabourn says.

7 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Your itinerary may change from visiting Cuba to visiting Haiti and/or the Dominican Republic.   I hear Haiti and D.R. are beautiful, people friendly and welcoming to tourists (cruisers).    Very safe countries for tourists.

So, if you are already booked for a cruise with port call(s) in Cuba, and it is changed to Haiti or the Dominican Republic, will you still go?  Or cancel?

Good luck.

NO WAY!!!! The draw was Cuba and NOT DR or Haiti. They may be beautiful and safe, but not on par with Cuba. We paid premium rates for Cuba.

9 hours ago, cuddles115 said:

Whatever the Trump administration wants..they get.  2020 is an election year and this is great for the anti-Castro Cubans in Miami.  They vote and Florida is always a crucial state. Hope I'm wrong.

You're not wrong, This is why we can't have nice things. 

Luckily we did the 4 day NCL in May . Had thought long and hard about the SB round trip this fall but the dates didn’t work. If Raul would really retire maybe SB can make the trip next year . 

6 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Too bad this board has gotten political.   Political posts should be deleted.

Well, yes...Many of us would rather that these boards not involve politics.  But this is a situation where a politically-motivated policy has directly affected the plans of many CC participants, so IMHO, all responses are appropriate.

8 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Too bad this board has gotten political.   Political posts should be deleted.

Close to one million cruisers across all lines now have their cruise cancelled. They have to eat their airfare, so it is kind of a big deal. Also cruise lines will lose millions of revenue which affects a lot of their workers.