Jump to content

Majestic Princess Sydney to Hong Kong


Recommended Posts

Just home from Sydney to Hong Kong cruise on Majestic Princess with stops at Dubai to start and end our holiday. We are Platinum and had cruised on Royal Princess two years ago, so had a good idea of what to expect from her sister ship.

 

Enjoyed the cruise..far better than being at home, working or doing our own  chores, but for us, Majestic did not have the wow factor we expected of the cruiseline's current flagship.

 

Embarkation in Sydney was swift , we were able to access our cabin immediately to drop off rollaboards, with bags arriving before muster.

Both cabin and balcony were small. Steward was excellent.  Elusive yet available.

 

Buffet is poorly laid out with far too many people wandering around searching for what they required. Many servers but they spent much time bringing drinks for guests, as there was no bar inside the buffet area. ( Hint to Princess...see Royal Caribbean buffets) Food and service were okay..they were cooking for lots of passengers and crew.  Nothing outstanding.Passengers wandered through buffet area to get water and soft drinks..would be preferably to have drink station near entrance. Unnecessary congestion.

 

We had Anytime Dining which was disappointing. Short waits for tables. Dinner took over two hours one evening. Sadly servers did not know what 'Silver service' means. Leaning over guests, clearing table before all guests had finished eating and serving coffee before dessert, removing plates from right hand side instead of left etc.

 

We didn't see any of the shows, but heard others saying the standard wasn't wonderful and seating was an issue where some passengers enjoyed a show so much they watched it three times, leaving no room for others. Television was good with wide variety of movies.

 

Deck space seemed good. We were always able to find loungers..but we are early birds. Towels always available and drink service outstanding.

 

Ports of call were what attracted us to this cruise but we were disappointed with distances of container ports to downtown areas in Vietnam and Taiwan. Perhaps we should have researched this more carefully. Port stops were short before taking travel time into consideration. In Singapore and Taiwan, we were in town by 9 am but nothing opened till 11 am..Taiwan on the Princess shuttle! Disembarkation tour of Hong Kong was also disappointing...too little time in town..1.5 hours to have lunch and shop before airport drop,(half hour before expected drop off time) although Nunnery and gardens were interesting. Planning could have been better.

 

Usually we do our own thing in port but for a first visit, where we did not speak the language we chose Ship's excursions, which, as ever, were overpriced. Shuttles at Brisbane and Taiwan were offered at a cost..again overpriced, in our opinion. It would have been good to know what was available , regarding shuttles and their cost, before sailing. Regret that 'Port Guides' are no longer available ....just selling of excursions. These were badly executed. Announcements in waiting areas not in clear English and very confusing.

 

Passengers.....well an eclectic mixture ! Surprised  at the distinct lack of manners of many guests...pushing, shoving, loud behaviour, talking over Captain's noon broadcasts, diving into lifts before anyone had time to exit. Many filled flasks from Spigots in buffet. Small notice asking passengers to use cups to refill was replaced by a larger notice, but the practice continued.

 

 

Typing this it sounds as if we didn't enjoy this cruise...we did, very much, but there just seemed to be more 'issues' than we would hope to encounter. We are loyal Princess Cruisers and will continue to be, perhaps this ship was just not for us.

 

 

This is is just our opinion. Others on the same cruise may have had a totally different experience from ours. Any questions..just ask!

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

removing plates from right hand side instead of left etc.

OK, that's it - cancelling our non-existant Majestic cruise now !!!

 

Hopefully, that practice can be reversed before our cruise on the SKY Princess

 

Egads !!:classic_ninja:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

We had Anytime Dining which was disappointing. Short waits for tables. Dinner took over two hours one evening. Sadly servers did not know what 'Silver service' means. Leaning over guests, clearing table before all guests had finished eating and serving coffee before dessert, removing plates from right hand side instead of left etc.

 

While I imagine there were only a small number on your cruise, Princess has succumbed to the American quirks of dinner service long ago. I remember the first time my mother was on a Cunard cruise with us there was a near row when one of the British ladies at our table insisted that nobody be served coffee until after dessert--while my mom was expecting it near-immediately after the dinner dishes were cleared, or at least no later than simultaneous with the dessert menu as is done in even the finer US restaurants. And the idea that sides be plated tableside by the servers rather than one's order come complete from the kitchen is thought somewhat downmarket on this side of the pond. But I've never seen such true silver service on any Princess ship (having passed the 20th anniversary of my first a few months ago).

 

And I honestly do not think Princess views Majestic as the, or even one of, its flagships. Majestic was tailored for a specific narrow (but deep-pocketed) market from the beginning. Yes a few concessions to the Aussie passenger were temporarily enacted for the down-under season that has now ended with your cruise. But the ship is best regarded as all-in for Asia, with expectations to be tempered so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fishywood said:

 

While I imagine there were only a small number on your cruise, Princess has succumbed to the American quirks of dinner service long ago. I remember the first time my mother was on a Cunard cruise with us there was a near row when one of the British ladies at our table insisted that nobody be served coffee until after dessert--while my mom was expecting it near-immediately after the dinner dishes were cleared, or at least no later than simultaneous with the dessert menu as is done in even the finer US restaurants.

 

And the idea that sides be plated tableside by the servers rather than one's order come complete from the kitchen is thought somewhat downmarket on this side of the pond. But I've never seen such true silver service on any Princess ship (having passed the 20th anniversary of my first a few months ago).

 

Maybe we have just been fortunate with our wait staff and table companions on previous cruises .

 

Think you mis understood what I typed about meals being served from the right and removed from the left .

 

Not sure what you mean by complete meals being served direct from kitchen...not what I mentioned at all.

 

In bygone days (My first cruise being in 1969) ,on top class cruise lines, rather than being 'down market',  vegetables were always added to guests' plates by servers.

 

Appreciate things might be different in USA, in 21st Century.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the reason we like the smaller Princess Ships, just did the same basic cruise on the Sun Princess. it was 100% different from your trip. The MDR service was great, never waited more than a few minutes for a table. The last half of the cruise we always had a table of 8 to 10 friends, never long waits once seated. The MDR staff did whatever we requested, to make over meals better. The ship was never crowed and  staff always friendly. Saw the Captain everyday walking around the ships talking to guests, over 18 days met all the senor officers on the ship. 

 

Right now Majestic is the newest ship in the Princess Fleet, it is also the largest ship they have.  What many guest seem to forget is just because the ship is bigger does not mean the port support is also larger. So with the larger ships much longer waits getting on and off at ports.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please do not let this review put you off the Majestic Princess, we were also on this cruise Sydney to Hong Kong , our second time on her and she is fantastic.

We have numerous cruises under our belt with Princess, Cunard and other cruise lines and fell that the service from all areas was first class.

We opted for anytime dining never had to wait for a table, we ate at 7.30 each evening and most of the time were able to ask to sit with our preferred waiter, who was probably the best we have ever had on any cruise.

i can understand that some may find the International Marketplace ( Horizon) confusing but the clue is in its name international! Each section was given over to cuisine from different countries which was clearly labelled for all to work out. The Asian section was amazing as was the sushi one lunchtime. The bakery had sections for sugar free and those who are gluten intolerant. The bakery also had a coffee section where you could use your coffee cards. 

As for bars in the dining room , there was one at rear, Wake View and a cocktail bar at the other end so getting drinks was no problem.

Our cabin steward was first class and always had time to discuss our day and adventures , nothing was too much trouble and he sorted out washing for us and managed to get an item of clothing repaired for us.

The shows to us were not geared to a UK audience and we found much of the material from comedians way out of date. The shows by the ships crew were good but we fail to see way they do so few, you did need to arrive at the theatre 30 mins before showtime to get a seat.

We researched ports before booking this cruise and booked 3 tours with Princess in Brisbane, Vietnam and Taiwan, all were very good value for money. We arranged our own tour to see the jumping crocodiles in Brisbane before we left the UK and this worked out at half the Princess cost.

All in all a brilliant cruise with wall to wall sunshine and calm seas throughout the 19 days.

We would not hesitate to go on the Majestic Princess again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2019 at 7:50 AM, Reina del Mar said:

 

We had Anytime Dining which was disappointing. Short waits for tables. Dinner took over two hours one evening. Sadly servers did not know what 'Silver service' means. Leaning over guests, clearing table before all guests had finished eating and serving coffee before dessert, removing plates from right hand side instead of left etc.

 

 

 

You made many good points in your post. I will comment on which side the waiters should remove the used plates. I was taught at home that food should be served from the left-hand side and used plates removed from the right-hand side. Below is a quote from a website devoted to the etiquette of dining.

 

"Clearing the Table - There are some signs to gauge when customers are done with their meals in fine dining restaurants. Napkins will be put back on the table, and cutlery is often placed in a vertical position on top of a patron’s dinner plate. If customers need to get up from the table to use the restroom, or make a phone call, napkins are placed on the chair to indicate the meal is not yet finished. Removal of plates should always be conducted from the right of the guest, as this is industry standard. For meals with multiple courses, empty glasses and plates should be cleared prior the arrival of the next course."

 

However, I don't object if a waiter serves me from the right-hand side because he/she has more space to do it that way, or it is quicker.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on it as well.  Enjoyable cruise overall but we wouldn't necessarily rush to go on Majestic again.  Much prefer the size of the Diamond/Sapphire and the suite layout on those ships if far superior to Majestic.

The piazza to me is just overused for entertainment purposes which would normally be in other areas on other ships.  Far too noisy for most of the day to sit and enjoy a quiet drink with conversation at normal levels.  

Maybe I didn't see all the food in the Marketplace but what I did see seemed to be the same day in and day out.  

The VIP lounge available to suite pax is a great idea.  Victoria who staffed it twice a day was very helpful.  It was always stocked with pastries and fruit in the mornings and then with small sandwiches and desserts/cookies around lunchtime.  it was great to be able to pop into it early in the morning to grab a reasonable decent cappuccino from the machine there.  Also just a nice quiet to spot to sit and read or chat to other pax.   Breakfast in Crown Grill was outstanding and no trouble at all in getting unlimited mimosas or spicy bloody Mary's.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

 

You made many good points in your post. I will comment on which side the waiters should remove the used plates. I was taught at home that food should be served from the left-hand side and used plates removed from the right-hand side. Below is a quote from a website devoted to the etiquette of dining.

 

"Clearing the Table - There are some signs to gauge when customers are done with their meals in fine dining restaurants. Napkins will be put back on the table, and cutlery is often placed in a vertical position on top of a patron’s dinner plate. If customers need to get up from the table to use the restroom, or make a phone call, napkins are placed on the chair to indicate the meal is not yet finished. Removal of plates should always be conducted from the right of the guest, as this is industry standard. For meals with multiple courses, empty glasses and plates should be cleared prior the arrival of the next course."

 

 

I think you can find information on the Internet to say what you want it to say.

 

I found this which contradicts both what I was taught and what your information says !

 

If the customer's plate is arranged in the kitchen it should be delivered to them from the right side. Pre-plated food (considering the exceptions above), beverages, all empty plates, and utensils should be served from the guest's right. All dishes  served from the right need to also be removed from the right.

 

Most people in the US think that all food should be served from the left and removed from the right. This is a misconception and stems from the fact that long ago, all food was served in large trays and each guest was served individually tableside from this large tray.

 

 

These days it is nearly universal practice, even in very formal circumstances, for food to arrive already arranged on the plate, rather than to be presented on a platter. Pre plated food (except for side dishes), as well as empty plates and clean utensils brought in preparation for upcoming courses, are always placed from the guest's right side. At the end of the course, these plates are cleared from the left. 

 

Silver service food is served from the left, and drinks and plated meals are served from the right.

 

 

I suppose it all comes down to what you are used to and I am certainly not used to waiters leaning across me.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

I think you can find information on the Internet to say what you want it to say.

 

I found this which contradicts both what I was taught and what your information says !

 

If the customer's plate is arranged in the kitchen it should be delivered to them from the right side. Pre-plated food (considering the exceptions above), beverages, all empty plates, and utensils should be served from the guest's right. All dishes  served from the right need to also be removed from the right.

 

Most people in the US think that all food should be served from the left and removed from the right. This is a misconception and stems from the fact that long ago, all food was served in large trays and each guest was served individually tableside from this large tray.

 

 

These days it is nearly universal practice, even in very formal circumstances, for food to arrive already arranged on the plate, rather than to be presented on a platter. Pre plated food (except for side dishes), as well as empty plates and clean utensils brought in preparation for upcoming courses, are always placed from the guest's right side. At the end of the course, these plates are cleared from the left. 

 

Silver service food is served from the left, and drinks and plated meals are served from the right.

 

 

I suppose it all comes down to what you are used to and I am certainly not used to waiters leaning across me.

 

 

 

I think another thing guests need to understand is even with hard and fast rules they cannot always work on ships.  For example a four top up against the port side , with a wall behind two chairs, it is no possible to serve from the right. Because you have many more tables than would be normal in Formal dining and walls it places you would not have the rules need to be changed because it is a ship. 

 

Or go back to First Class Dining Rooms of the past, and charge the guests ten tens the price because so many tables have been removed.  And require formal dress at all meals in these areas. Why you guests have strict Formal  Dining if they do not dress the part? Cruise ships do not have the space to strictly follow formal dining rules.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my.  Such a fuss over serving side.  I am fine with whatever works in the situation/environment, depending on space to maneuver and other tables/guest nearby.  Sure, waiters should not reach and lean over guests, but I don't recall experiencing anything obnoxious on Princess and pretty much any restaurant - casual or fine dining.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2019 at 10:25 AM, bellagiio said:

Please do not let this review put you off the Majestic Princess, we were also on this cruise Sydney to Hong Kong , our second time on her and she is fantastic.

We have numerous cruises under our belt with Princess, Cunard and other cruise lines and fell that the service from all areas was first class.

We opted for anytime dining never had to wait for a table, we ate at 7.30 each evening and most of the time were able to ask to sit with our preferred waiter, who was probably the best we have ever had on any cruise.

i can understand that some may find the International Marketplace ( Horizon) confusing but the clue is in its name international! Each section was given over to cuisine from different countries which was clearly labelled for all to work out. The Asian section was amazing as was the sushi one lunchtime. The bakery had sections for sugar free and those who are gluten intolerant. The bakery also had a coffee section where you could use your coffee cards. 

As for bars in the dining room , there was one at rear, Wake View and a cocktail bar at the other end so getting drinks was no problem.

Our cabin steward was first class and always had time to discuss our day and adventures , nothing was too much trouble and he sorted out washing for us and managed to get an item of clothing repaired for us.

The shows to us were not geared to a UK audience and we found much of the material from comedians way out of date. The shows by the ships crew were good but we fail to see way they do so few, you did need to arrive at the theatre 30 mins before showtime to get a seat.

We researched ports before booking this cruise and booked 3 tours with Princess in Brisbane, Vietnam and Taiwan, all were very good value for money. We arranged our own tour to see the jumping crocodiles in Brisbane before we left the UK and this worked out at half the Princess cost.

All in all a brilliant cruise with wall to wall sunshine and calm seas throughout the 19 days.

We would not hesitate to go on the Majestic Princess again.

I agree with you about the buffet.  I was on the Majestic 3/26/19 sailing and just submitted a review to cruise critic.  Once I determined that the buffet station areas did not change, it was fairly easy to navigate the area.  The only odd placement I noticed was that the salad dressings were placed in the alcove area near the cheese instead of near the salad greens .  Perhaps this was due to the temperature they needed to be stored at?  BTW, this was a busy buffet.  Lots of cruisers were choosing to eat at the buffet instead of the dining room.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on this cruise as well. 

I agree about the rudeness of some passengers  my 10 year old was gobsmacked overhearing a lady tell the waiter to remove her water glass and repour it as "when I say half a glass  I mean half and that's far too much!".  We then over heard her rudely remarking g to her husband that she didn't understand why my son had been brought too desserts.That not only was it greedy but that even if it were acceptable, they should of been brought separately. My son had asked for a scoop of vanilla ice-cream with his dessert and it was provided in a separate tiny bowl

 No big deal and none of her business. 

And dont even start me on the rudeness of the trivia crowd, who insisted on pushing in past zumba class participants even though there was a good 40 minutes or more between zumba finish and Trivia. 

 

I did notice that they didn't always sweep the crumbs off the table between courses, but I didn't take note of the direction of serving as it's not a big deal to me. As a mother I was just ecstatic that someone else was cooking, clearing and washing up.  

 

I agree re the Market place buffet. Yes there were clearly marked sections, but yes mostly the food remained the same. And, we noticed at dinner time the selections were greatly reduced, and quite bland. The layout was definitely odd. In what appeared to be the vegetarian section there was often a dish with squid.  All the cheeses were stacked together so that everything tasted like blue cheese  🤢 . At breakfast toast  cereal , fruit and eggs were in many places but waffles only in one. The excellent sushi actually appeared 3x, but you had to be quick  😜

Drinks were an issue for me. I was never offered a drink poolside, though was told by servers in the Market place to ask a deck waiter, when I suggested that iced water and cups be provided at the ice-cream parlour and towel desk near the pool. As a result I was one that often wandered in damp towel into the Market place. 😳

My son was also disappointed that the lemonade wasn't on tap anywhere on this ship.  😲🤣

 

I also agree that the entertainment was lacking. 3 production shows in 19 days is pretty slow, weve had more on a 12 day. I know there was  cast change over, but still. Dancer must be a pretty easy job on that ship if that's the required number.  And it was a bit insulting to watch poolside rehearsals for what was obviously the next cruise's  welcome aboard show. Um where was our show...

The rest of the entertainment was okayish, but not really of interest to me. We did enjoy the game shows. 

 

We also did Princess tours, and chose poorly in Vietnam but overall were happy.

 

I enjoyed the cruise and would go on the Majestic again...I'd go on any cruise again if I can afford it, but feel it definitely lacks the atmo5of some of the smaller Princess vessels. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally did not experience rudeness by fellow passengers.  Actually, this was the friendliest group of cruisers that I have met.  I got approached frequently as an American, asking if I enjoyed my visit to Australia.  Chair hogging was at a minimum on the 3/26/19 cruise.  I had no problem getting a lounger by the pool except for the time I showed up after a movie had started on MUTS...or there there was a sporting event  on MUTS.  The only rudeness encountered was with a Princess employee at the Sea View Bar.  I am still not sure what his problem was..     

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 4/18/2019 at 2:50 PM, Reina del Mar said:

Just home from Sydney to Hong Kong cruise on Majestic Princess with stops at Dubai to start and end our holiday. We are Platinum and had cruised on Royal Princess two years ago, so had a good idea of what to expect from her sister ship.

 

Enjoyed the cruise..far better than being at home, working or doing our own  chores, but for us, Majestic did not have the wow factor we expected of the cruiseline's current flagship.

 

Embarkation in Sydney was swift , we were able to access our cabin immediately to drop off rollaboards, with bags arriving before muster.

Both cabin and balcony were small. Steward was excellent.  Elusive yet available.

 

Buffet is poorly laid out with far too many people wandering around searching for what they required. Many servers but they spent much time bringing drinks for guests, as there was no bar inside the buffet area. ( Hint to Princess...see Royal Caribbean buffets) Food and service were okay..they were cooking for lots of passengers and crew.  Nothing outstanding.Passengers wandered through buffet area to get water and soft drinks..would be preferably to have drink station near entrance. Unnecessary congestion.

 

We had Anytime Dining which was disappointing. Short waits for tables. Dinner took over two hours one evening. Sadly servers did not know what 'Silver service' means. Leaning over guests, clearing table before all guests had finished eating and serving coffee before dessert, removing plates from right hand side instead of left etc.

 

We didn't see any of the shows, but heard others saying the standard wasn't wonderful and seating was an issue where some passengers enjoyed a show so much they watched it three times, leaving no room for others. Television was good with wide variety of movies.

 

Deck space seemed good. We were always able to find loungers..but we are early birds. Towels always available and drink service outstanding.

 

Ports of call were what attracted us to this cruise but we were disappointed with distances of container ports to downtown areas in Vietnam and Taiwan. Perhaps we should have researched this more carefully. Port stops were short before taking travel time into consideration. In Singapore and Taiwan, we were in town by 9 am but nothing opened till 11 am..Taiwan on the Princess shuttle! Disembarkation tour of Hong Kong was also disappointing...too little time in town..1.5 hours to have lunch and shop before airport drop,(half hour before expected drop off time) although Nunnery and gardens were interesting. Planning could have been better.

 

Usually we do our own thing in port but for a first visit, where we did not speak the language we chose Ship's excursions, which, as ever, were overpriced. Shuttles at Brisbane and Taiwan were offered at a cost..again overpriced, in our opinion. It would have been good to know what was available , regarding shuttles and their cost, before sailing. Regret that 'Port Guides' are no longer available ....just selling of excursions. These were badly executed. Announcements in waiting areas not in clear English and very confusing.

 

Passengers.....well an eclectic mixture ! Surprised  at the distinct lack of manners of many guests...pushing, shoving, loud behaviour, talking over Captain's noon broadcasts, diving into lifts before anyone had time to exit. Many filled flasks from Spigots in buffet. Small notice asking passengers to use cups to refill was replaced by a larger notice, but the practice continued.

 

 

Typing this it sounds as if we didn't enjoy this cruise...we did, very much, but there just seemed to be more 'issues' than we would hope to encounter. We are loyal Princess Cruisers and will continue to be, perhaps this ship was just not for us.

 

 

This is is just our opinion. Others on the same cruise may have had a totally different experience from ours. Any questions..just ask!

 

 

 

 

 

Do you recall the approximate price for the Brisbane shuttle?  We're on Ruby Princess and trying to plan out our Brisbane excursion.

 

Thanks,
Gary

Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings...thanks for this posting. I am booked on the Majestic for a10 daySydney to Perth cruise. Can you tell me if the Hollywood conservatory is similar to the Sanctuary on other Princess ships....access at a fee? Same question concerning the Hollywood club pool......access at a fee? Is this pool open to all ages or just adults?

i did enjoy the comments concerning plating at the table.....

boy is that old school. Me, I remember it well on Sitmar. Back then dinning was elegant, slow and oh so social. Cruisers these days seem to want to get in get out....some even are on their phones during the meal. How times have changed.

Thank you in advance for responses. As an American I’m hoping the passengers on my sailing are friendly and not rude. I do not handle rudeness/ meaness......and if it’s directed towards a crew member I have been known to intervene. Crew members are not servants. But that’s just me.

Happy sailings!

Tom

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi RMS Olympic

We have been on the Majestic twice. On our first trip the front half of the Hollywood Pool Club was like the Santuary and the cabanas were for hire only.

on our most recent trip all the cabanas and sunbeds in the Hollywood Pool Club were free.. The Pool was open to all adults only.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess Brisbane shuttle was $28 Aus.

That is if Ruby docks in the same place as Majestic.

Was frequent, coaches were clean and comfortable.

 

Might be worth checking out the taxi rates online  if there are two or more of you.

 

Sorry can't help with Sanctuary or Hollywood Pool Club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Princess Brisbane shuttle was $28 Aus.

That is if Ruby docks in the same place as Majestic.

Was frequent, coaches were clean and comfortable.

 

Might be worth checking out the taxi rates online  if there are two or more of you.

 

Sorry can't help with Sanctuary or Hollywood Pool Club.

The Ruby WILL dock at the same wharf as the Majestic. Both ships are too large to use the Portside Cruise Terminal so they dock at what we call the Grain Terminal at Fishermans Island. This facility is a working container and grain-loading sharf, but is now referred to as a "multi-use" wharf. The Ruby and the Majestic are too large to get under the Gateway Bridge or to turn in the river at Portside.

 

By the way, a new cruise terminal is being built on the north side of the river opposite the Grain Terminal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 12:55 AM, Reina del Mar said:

I think you can find information on the Internet to say what you want it to say.

 

I found this which contradicts both what I was taught and what your information says !

 

If the customer's plate is arranged in the kitchen it should be delivered to them from the right side. Pre-plated food (considering the exceptions above), beverages, all empty plates, and utensils should be served from the guest's right. All dishes  served from the right need to also be removed from the right.

 

Most people in the US think that all food should be served from the left and removed from the right. This is a misconception and stems from the fact that long ago, all food was served in large trays and each guest was served individually tableside from this large tray.

 

 

These days it is nearly universal practice, even in very formal circumstances, for food to arrive already arranged on the plate, rather than to be presented on a platter. Pre plated food (except for side dishes), as well as empty plates and clean utensils brought in preparation for upcoming courses, are always placed from the guest's right side. At the end of the course, these plates are cleared from the left. 

 

Silver service food is served from the left, and drinks and plated meals are served from the right.

 

 

I suppose it all comes down to what you are used to and I am certainly not used to waiters leaning across me.

I'm totally confused / bemused by the highlighted part. Never heard that there was a mandated way to do it. IMHO I just thought it was as unobtrusive as possible. 

 

And what's 'silver service?' Is this what you're referring to; " Silver service (in British English) is a method of foodservice that usually includes serving food at the table. It is a technique of transferring food from a service dish to the guest's plate from the left. It is performed by a waiter by using service forks and spoons from the diner's left."  I've always gotten my food plated unless it's family style so that can't be it

Edited by Ombud
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ombud said:

And what's 'silver service?' Is this what you're referring to; " Silver service (in British English) is a method of foodservice that usually includes serving food at the table. It is a technique of transferring food from a service dish to the guest's plate from the left. It is performed by a waiter by using service forks and spoons from the diner's left."  I've always gotten my food plated unless it's family style so that can't be it

'Silver service' is a more exclusive way of serving food. Servers come to the table with platters of food and serve each diner what they want. In our modern world, most times food is plated in the kitchen. This requires less staff time when individually asking each diner how many pieces of meat, how many potatoes and how many veges they want.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They do that in restaurants in Australia and Wales?

 

I agree with OP that having to wait until dessert for coffee isn't my preference either. I like it with my meal but I guess I'm an anomaly 

Edited by Ombud
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...