Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
med372

Best Miami parking that allows for a quick getaway

Recommended Posts

I am going to be cruising out of Miami for the first time next March and am looking for parking.  Our main concern is a quick escape on the day the cruise gets back into port.  We are going to be in line to get off the ship fast, and want to hit the ground running for the trip home.  I assume the official port parking would be the best bet?  But, I know some ports have issues with departing cars clogging up the lots and surrounding streets.  I don't know how long it would take to get an Uber to get us out of the port area and to a remote or hotel lot, and I am reading some really bad reviews of the private cruise parking companies in the area.  So just curious if there are any opinions on other options? Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Port parking, while not the cheapest, is the safest and provides the fastest departures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Safest and best place to park your vehicle is directly at the Port Of Miami. Plenty of safe and secure parking for twenty two dollars a day. No reservation needed and plenty of spaces. The best thing is when you return your vehicle will be in the same condition as you left it. I have read too many sad stories since I joined Cruise Critic in 2002 about parking in off site lots in the city of Miami. Stories about lousy locations, sketchy areas and damage to vehicles are common. Most regular Miami area Cruise Critic posters recommend parking directly at the Port Of Miami. Very easy to disembark from the ship, gather your luggage and head to your vehicle for your ride home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Port Miami parking is the best, it's the safest and the easiest.   You can jump right into your car and take the tunnel to drop you directly onto I-95.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Port Miami parking is the best, it's the safest and the easiest.   You can jump right into your car and take the tunnel to drop you directly onto I-95.

 

I appreciate your post saying that Port of Miami parking is "the easiest".  How "easy"?  Are parking facilities clearly designated for specific ships?  I expect to be sailing on a MSC vessel.  At Port Everglades, there are many staff members, police, and security people that help direct arriving passengers.  Does Miami have the same type of plentiful staff?  Any tips on arriving at the Port and at the terminal and then parking the car?  I have not been able to find any detailed maps showing the roadways within the Port and the locations of the garages.  Are any such available to your knowledge?  

 

I last sailed from Miami in 1979 and the Port has changed greatly.  I am concerned about navigating, safely, around this Port.  Thanks for any information that you can provide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garages clearly marked and only about 50-100 yards from where you will start check-in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need directions like that at PortMiami.  It's easier than Port Everglades in that way.  There are large garages right in front of the terminals.  You couldn't miss them if you tried.  Never had trouble finding a spot.

 

As Carolyn mentioned, there is a tunnel that was recently built.  It connects I95 and PortMiami.  It couldn't be any easier getting in and out.  Lightning fast.

 

I promise, you are thinking too deeply in to this.  There is no security check point.  You'll enter the port from the tunnel and park at the garage closest to your ship.  You can see all the ships as you enter the port.  Just park near your ship.  Big parking garages.  When you leave after disembark, there is no traffic or anything.  Just hop in the car, pay for parking on your way out of the garage, follow the signs for the tunnel and on your way.
 

We park the car then just walk up with our stuff.  Plenty of porters to drop off your luggage and point you to the entrance.  Don't stress it, this is way easier than you think.  PortMiami is outstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the many nice things about the Port of Miami is there are two main entry / exit routes. And a well designed internal road system.

 

On our  November Viking Ocean cruise to Cuba, we were in our car, with our luggage, 45 minutes after walking down the gangway.  45 minutes to walk into the terminal J, grab luggage, proceed through immigration, walk the 50 yards to the garage, get our car, leave the garage, and turn onto the exit road, which was mostly empty!  It's that easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to all for the responses.  Really great and helpful info here.  I appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BNBR said:

You don't need directions like that at PortMiami.  It's easier than Port Everglades in that way.  There are large garages right in front of the terminals.  You couldn't miss them if you tried.  Never had trouble finding a spot.

 

As Carolyn mentioned, there is a tunnel that was recently built.  It connects I95 and PortMiami.  It couldn't be any easier getting in and out.  Lightning fast.

 

I promise, you are thinking too deeply in to this.  There is no security check point.  You'll enter the port from the tunnel and park at the garage closest to your ship.  You can see all the ships as you enter the port.  Just park near your ship.  Big parking garages.  When you leave after disembark, there is no traffic or anything.  Just hop in the car, pay for parking on your way out of the garage, follow the signs for the tunnel and on your way.
 

We park the car then just walk up with our stuff.  Plenty of porters to drop off your luggage and point you to the entrance.  Don't stress it, this is way easier than you think.  PortMiami is outstanding.

I was looking for a thread like this one.  Thanks to all posters.  Will there be signs directing me to my ships parking area?  I have a Thursday departure.  Should I be concerned that the parking areas will already be full?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lazz said:

I was looking for a thread like this one.  Thanks to all posters.  Will there be signs directing me to my ships parking area?  I have a Thursday departure.  Should I be concerned that the parking areas will already be full?

 

I've never paid attention to signs so I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in. The ships are lined up and very visible. So I would just drive to my ship. 

 

I've never heard of anyone not being able to get a spot. Should be fine. Remember, people are getting off your ship and leaving the parking garage.  And they will have been doing this for hours before you arrive! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lazz said:

I was looking for a thread like this one.  Thanks to all posters.  Will there be signs directing me to my ships parking area?  I have a Thursday departure.  Should I be concerned that the parking areas will already be full?

 

there will be signs saying which ship is where.  I have never had an issue parking at the garages nor has anyone that I know.  There are always spots, you may just have to head towards the top of the parking garage until you find one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.. when you arrive at POM, you will see overhead signs identifying which ship is at which terminal.  Most pre cruise info from the line will give that info in advance, so the precise location can be mapped. Each terminal has its own garage tower.

 

 All but J are on the north side of the pier / island. For J, you have to go all the way around the loop. If you come in off Biscayne Boulevard, J is the first terminal on the right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2019 at 5:11 PM, BNBR said:

 

I promise, you are thinking too deeply in to this.

 

Thanks for such an encouraging reply.  I really mean this.  Your posts, along with others who have posted positive messages about Port of Miami parking, make me think that my concerns are overblown.  But, my experiences in driving on I-95 in downtown Miami have been the most harrowing driving experiences that I have ever had.

 

My current plan is to drive to the Port via U.S.1 rather on I-95.  I expect to be leaving from Port Everglades and connecting to U.S. 1, which will be easy to do.  I know:  lots of traffic lights en route to the Port of Miami.  But, given my "fear" of a return visit to I-95 in downtown Miami, I think this plan will be less stressful for me.

 

I'd appreciate reactions to this plan.  

Edited by rkacruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your fear isn't unreasonable, although Saturday and Sunday mornings tend to be a little calmer on I-95. But the area of US 1 through Little Haiti might be congested.

 

you might consider a combination, taking I-95 South to I-395 East to US 1 south. That puts you on  Biscayne Boulevard. A left turn off US 1 brings you into the cruise port. Alternately, staying in 395 brings you to the exit for the tunnel to the cruise port. That gives you two choices off I-95 / I-395.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Thanks for such an encouraging reply.  I really mean this.  Your posts, along with others who have posted positive messages about Port of Miami parking, make me think that my concerns are overblown.  But, my experiences in driving on I-95 in downtown Miami have been the most harrowing driving experiences that I have ever had.

 

My current plan is to drive to the Port via U.S.1 rather on I-95.  I expect to be leaving from Port Everglades and connecting to U.S. 1, which will be easy to do.  I know:  lots of traffic lights en route to the Port of Miami.  But, given my "fear" of a return visit to I-95 in downtown Miami, I think this plan will be less stressful for me.

 

I'd appreciate reactions to this plan.  

 

I wouldn't want to encourage you to do something you are uncomfortable with, but I95 would be way faster and easier as the tunnel for the port connects to the highway.  You can map out on Google and be prepared for where your exit is to make it less stressful. There is very little traffic on a weekend morning on I95

Edited by BNBR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Your fear isn't unreasonable, although Saturday and Sunday mornings tend to be a little calmer on I-95. But the area of US 1 through Little Haiti might be congested.

 

you might consider a combination, taking I-95 South to I-395 East to US 1 south. That puts you on  Biscayne Boulevard. A left turn off US 1 brings you into the cruise port. Alternately, staying in 395 brings you to the exit for the tunnel to the cruise port. That gives you two choices off I-95 / I-395.

 

I mean, what is the point of getting off of 395 to US-1 when the OP would be 2-mins from the tunnel at that point. 

 

To the OP. I-95 on a weekend is easy. You can even just cruise in the express lane (if you have sunpass) and makes it even easier. Just stay left and let the cars going fast pass you. I would much rather be on I-95 on a weekend than city streets. And getting into the port is so much easier via the tunnel than the streets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just giving the guy multiple options for his concerns.  For what it's worth, driving down US 1 through North Miami, etc would probably be much more congested on a Saturday morning than being on I-95. Which is why I said that.

 

To be contentious, I could also argue that the access to Terminal J is probably easier via Biscayne Boulevard than going through the tunnel and around the horn for somebody who's not familiar with the area.  At a time when many people might be leaving the cruise area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Flymia said:

 

I mean, what is the point of getting off of 395 to US-1 when the OP would be 2-mins from the tunnel at that point. 

 

To the OP. I-95 on a weekend is easy. You can even just cruise in the express lane (if you have sunpass) and makes it even easier. Just stay left and let the cars going fast pass you. I would much rather be on I-95 on a weekend than city streets. And getting into the port is so much easier via the tunnel than the streets. 

 

Agreed.  Just remember 395 is LEFT on the highway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would never take US1 from Pt Everglades to Miami.  I mean, WHY???    We didn't call US1 'Useless 1' for nothing.

Give I 95 another chance, especially on a Saturday morning.  It's better than it used to be, just heed the overhead signs and be in the left lane to get to POM.  It's really not that bad.  

Edited by Diver2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

I could also argue that the access to Terminal J is probably easier via Biscayne Boulevard than going through the tunnel and around the horn for somebody who's not familiar with the area.  At a time when many people might be leaving the cruise area.

 

Is Terminal J where MSC ships usually dock?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2019 at 7:11 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

Is Terminal J where MSC ships usually dock?

 

I believe MSC moved into the new terminal F  last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

 

I believe MSC moved into the new terminal F  last year

Correct but new terminals are also under construction:

 

According to the PortMiami official website, 

 

Terminal F

 

Signature Cruise Terminal F has been renovated and expanded to accommodate the cruise industry’s new generation of cruise vessels including MSC cruises’ mega ships.

 

New Terminal AA/AAA
 

MSC Cruises
January 2019, a letter of intent between MSC Cruises and Miami-Dade County was signed. The line plans to increase its annual passenger throughput and to design, build and operate two new cruise facilities at PortMiami to be completed by 2020.

 

https://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/cruise-terminals.asp

Edited by capriccio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...