Norovirus--dormant for a week?

treasurer

Hi Cruisers,

We were on Marina for a b2b 34 days from Tahiti to NY.  Halfway through in Peru the ship picked up Norovirus.  The captain and crew couldn't have done more to keep everyone healthy.  We washed and sanitized and were (with the exception of a couple stomach rumblings) fine for the 2 weeks before getting to NY.  The problem had run its course by the time we got to NY.   All restrictions had been lifted, and all services were back in place.  It was a wonderful cruise.  Three days at home (Long Island, NY)  I got the stomach sickness and a few days later my husband got it.  We had not been out and about socializing so it couldn't have come from here.  Has anyone had a similar experience days after leaving the ship?  Can a virus lie dormant and come out at home?   It has completely surprised us.  Let me know if you have heard of anything similar.

Thanks for your feedback.

Listen we were in a South American cruise 

a year ago on HAL from San Diego round trip to Peru and back!!!!!!!

We are healthy people and I am a Doctor! We live in San Diego. After we arrived in Peru for 2 days and heading back new people came on board! Within 3 days both my husband and my self got the cruise crude as it is called. Coughing sore throat! 

I had z packs for just a situation. Whether viral or not we took them on our cruise back!! The people come back on board were either on other cruises or doing Machu Piichuu. That is where the Norvo came from!!! Spoke to the Doctor on board our Maasdam HAL cruise and he agreed! Also stay away from crowded elevators too!

it is in the air as well as on surfaces

Denise😊 

Sorry you got the bug!  We were on the Lima to NYC portion of this cruise.  I agree that the staff did a great job helping as many of us as possible stay healthy.

We overheard the hotel manager tell another passenger that the tests showed the GI issues were bacterial, not viral.  Which he said were slightly easier to get under control.  I jumped to the conclusion that this would implicate street food a bit...  Doesn't mean there were zero Noro cases, but sounds like that may not have been the main issue.

• Like 1

To OP - Not exactly answering your question but just commenting on how common it seems that ships transiting Lima run into this type of a problem.

Been to Peru several times - including Machu Picchu in 1988 before it was overrun and after the changes as well as to Nazca lines - and have no desire to return.

BTW - on our first trip in 1988 I got very sick after eating something in a restaurant in Lima - it was a horrible night and a few days after.

• Like 1

there is  some bug that people get in Peru  it is not NORO

you need to tell your doctor or a travel medical clinic to test for the bug  it can reoccur

Look up on the CDC site for the name

we were on NYC to SOU  no bugs  just some upper respiratory infection going around

Hi Cruisers,

Thanks so much everyone.  Misery loves company.  Since there is a possibility that it was bacterial, maybe we did carry something home with us.  I doubt that it could be just change of food coming home.  We are on cruises about 1/3 of the year--long ones and all over the globe.  The worst we ever came home with was a cold.  We have been to Peru before and were okay but have heard from several sources that this area is frequently problematic.  It is the only place where we have had to walk across squishy sanitizing chemicals to get back on the ship.

The sickness is gone.  We will remember it!  We are on Marina again this June but out of Sweden.  Hopefully, no Peru germs still lurking round.  Thanks again for your responses.

• Like 1

Peru is well known to be a source of GI illness.  A couple years ago we sailed from Tahiti to Lima.  In Lima, Marina crew distributed disinfectants,  special shoe mats rolled out,  educational materials were distributed, etc.   

2 hours ago, sammiedawg said:

Peru is well known to be a source of GI illness.  A couple years ago we sailed from Tahiti to Lima.  In Lima, Marina crew distributed disinfectants,  special shoe mats rolled out,  educational materials were distributed, etc.   

What is "special" about Peru, beyond observing regular food safety/hygiene when traveling?

GC

About 10 years ago I had a patient who contracted typhoid fever while in Cuzco.  She thought she had been immunized but confused her tetanus vaccination with typhoid fever vaccine.  Typhoid fever is preventable via vaccine, and treatable with antibiotics but can make you quite sick; this young lady ended up in the hospital there in Cuzco on IV antibiotics for a few days.  Typhoid fever is usually transmitted by food preparers who are carriers.

Beyond the stray case of typhoid fever, there are lots of other bacterial cooties that circulate in an internationally famous site such as Cuzco/Machu Picchu , which draws travelers from around the globe as well as providing employment to many local folks who don't have access to the greatest healthcare in the world. Good handwashing is essential; if ever there is a time to carry along alcohol gel, this is it.  

I strongly encourage anyone with a Peruvian itinerary  to see a travel health provider a couple of months before embarkation, even if you don't need malaria medication or yellow fever vaccine for your particular land excursion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Afterward said:

I strongly encourage anyone with a Peruvian itinerary  to see a travel health provider a couple of months before embarkation, even if you don't need malaria medication or yellow fever vaccine for your particular land excursion. 

Excellent advice.