Ten Dollar Meals in MDR

Carol28

On 4/20/2019 at 7:12 AM, billbunger said:

Just what we needed another “dining room charge” thread. Let’s beat a dead horse some more, we may end up with soufflé. That would lead to a hijacked thread about food and that would be hijacked by a thread about “Club Orange charge” which in turn would be hijacked by a thread about  “dining room charges”.

hmmmmmmm just a minute here.

Chill out there tough guy. I am thankful this post was created because while I was aware of the trial run, I had not heard if it was completed or still imposed.

The test program has been discontinued.  Will it be resurrected in another form,  who knows ??

On my cruise on the Eurodam, (March 9 to April 6), we were one of the test ships.  On 2 of the ships, the program was tested only on Gala nights, targeting the 2nd or 3rd lobster tail.  On the other 2 ships, Eurodam being one of them, the program was on every menu, every night, even in the PG and Tamarind.  

The Food & Beverage manager explained to me that the test was initiated specifically for the higher priced items like lobster.  He said "We always have plenty of steaks and chops, so there's no problem there, it's the lobster that we do not have excess of".   The waiters did not like the plan, because the enforcement of a 2nd main course falls on them, they are the front line.   The people who initiated this have no interactions with guests, only the waiters who had to deliver the bad news to their guests.   The notice was NOT publicized anywhere, only in very fine type on the daily menus, buried in the text about FDA notices of under cooked meats and fish.   The waiters were put in an awkward position, and they didn't like it.  So they simply ignored it.   A night when they had Chicken Kiev, but also had calve's liver was the night I asked for a 2nd main course.  I did not want a whole 2nd plate with veggies, just a slice of the liver.  No problem.  The extra slice of liver was on my plate along with the chicken.  No extra charge. 

54 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

A night when they had Chicken Kiev, but also had calve's liver was the night I asked for a 2nd main course.  I did not want a whole 2nd plate with veggies, just a slice of the liver.  No problem.  The extra slice of liver was on my plate along with the chicken.  No extra charge. 

I would pay $20 not to eat liver.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I would pay $20 not to eat liver.

It all depends on how it's cooked.  Too rare and it's horrible mushy.  Too well done, and it's like eating the sole of my shoe.   The calve's liver on the Eurodam was done perfectly.   Lots of iron !!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

Chill out there tough guy. I am thankful this post was created because while I was aware of the trial run, I had not heard if it was completed or still imposed.

That just means you need to pay more attention to what's going on with the many threads on this topic. The fact that the trial had ended has been posted here ad nauseam. So apparently you missed it.. 

I’m the OP. I missed the other posts about this topic and just saw all of these responses in my ‘junk’ email. This was a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question. I am highly amused at the responses my post generated. 

52 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

I’m the OP. I missed the other posts about this topic and just saw all of these responses in my ‘junk’ email. This was a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question. I am highly amused at the responses my post generated. 

But the point is that many questions people ask are 'yes or no questions', and would not even have to be asked if folks only did a modicum of prior research before starting yet another thread on the same topic.

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2019 at 10:28 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Smh????  What word were you trying to write????

From an online dictionary:

"SMH is a popular online acronym that teens and young adults love to type into their social media posts or in text messages to express the same physical body language of shaking their head in disappointment, disagreement and/or disbelief."

The teens and young adults part made me laugh.  Not quite what I'd expect from the HAL "demographic."  😉

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

From an online dictionary:

"SMH is a popular online acronym that teens and young adults love to type into their social media posts or in text messages to express the same physical body language of shaking their head in disappointment, disagreement and/or disbelief."

The teens and young adults part made me laugh.  Not quite what I'd expect from the HAL "demographic."  😉

And they rush, with great abandon in to the welcome  world of the illiterate diatribe..    How about that.   

36 minutes ago, Lyndihop said:

Personally, I tired of being nickeled and timed.  I thought HAL was above this.

We occasionally order 2 main meals, just to be sure we get ONE we like.

I sure hope you eat both of your 2 meals.   The resultant food waste that you seem to routinely partake in was one of the reasons that HAL initiated the testing of this program.   You would never do that in a land-based restaurant, because you would have to pay for both meals. 

As of now, HAL has dropped this test program.   I hope it is not resurrected in some other form in the future.   If you order a entree that is not cooked to your liking, or simply does not taste good, then ask your waiter for something else on the menu.  But flat out ordering 2 full meals, intending to eat only the one that meets your taste expectations is wasting food.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lyndihop said:

👎👎👎

I hope you also thank the other passengers who only order ONE entree but are forced to subsidize your over-ordering by having to pay higher cruise fares.

Edited by avian777
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

I sure hope you eat both of your 2 meals.   The resultant food waste that you seem to routinely partake in was one of the reasons that HAL initiated the testing of this program.   You would never do that in a land-based restaurant, because you would have to pay for both meals. 

...  But flat out ordering 2 full meals, intending to eat only the one that meets your taste expectations is wasting food.  

In addition to the waste issue, there is the question of requiring other passengers to subsidize (by having to pay higher cruise fares) passengers who order one or more extra entrees.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Brad1185 said:

This charge really turned us off HAL. We would be very hesitant to book with HAL in the future.  We have previously cruised 5 times with them.  

Having to pay higher cruise fares (and thereby subsidize passengers who order one or more extra entrees) really turns me off.  We have more than 2 dozen cruises with HAL.

Why are some of you getting your slacks in a swivel? There was a test period on four dam ships which ended just about a full month ago. Since that date, life as we know it, is back to normal in the fifteen main dining rooms. 

There is not even one clue floating (could not resist) around that HAL will gallup forward with this $10 fee for an extra distinct, flexible appendage to the torso of a Nephropidae!

Au contraire, we might never see that tenner for two proposal again as a result of the major flak, according to unnamed sources, HAL took for having the temerity to even initiate the mother of all nickel and dime schemes

Dare I say; relax and go and enjoy your future cruise(s) until Mr, Murphy makes an appearance 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Lyndihop said:

Personally, I tired of being nickeled and timed.  I thought HAL was above this.

As others have already said - this approach is a surely a waste and runs up the cost for everyone else.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Why are some of you getting your slacks in a swivel? There was a test period on four dam ships which ended just about a full month ago. Since that date, life as we know it, is back to normal in the fifteen main dining rooms. 

There is not even one clue floating (could not resist) around that HAL will gallup forward with this $10 fee for an extra distinct, flexible appendage to the torso of a Nephropidae!

Au contraire, we might never see that tenner for two proposal again as a result of the major flak, according to unnamed sources, HAL took for having the temerity to even initiate the mother of all nickel and dime schemes

Dare I say; relax and go and enjoy your future cruise(s) until Mr, Murphy makes an appearance 

Slacks in a swivel??? That's a new one for me! 😀

• Thanks 1