Cruise Critic Community
Tutuma

The Retreat

Just booked a day in The Retreat (Ovation). This is new to us so interested in learning more about it from your experiences/suggestions?

Two things bother me about The Retreat:  1.  I have appreciated that Seabourn offers an "all inclusive" voyage.  Charging extra for The Retreat significantly changes this idea.  2.  I've toured The Retreat--and while I found the hot tubs attractive, I was dismayed that there was no view out to sea.  The bottom line for me is that The Retreat COULD be better (with sea views) and should be open to all passengers without extra charge.  

You will have a great day!  Each cabana has a TV and upgraded champagne.  They really spoil you and go above and beyond what you will get the rest of your trip just sitting by the pool (which is still fantastic).  My days at the Retreat were some of my favorite and most memorable sea days.

Whatever you get in the airless and claustrophobic “Retreat” you can get in your suite: privacy, a TV and upgraded champagne. And from your suite you get a sea view, missing at the Retreat. Without paying up to USD 350 per couple/day for the pretentious nonsense (my take).

Even the name is ridiculous: Retreat. Retreat from what? You would have thought the Seabourn product was all inclusive luxury, to start with. Apparently, not. Right? This has got to be some kind of (very) profitable version of what happens at some aspiring hotel chains, a very different proposition to a Seabourn ship, for sure. 

BTW, and in fairness, the list price of USD 350 is negotiable since it has to be. You will probably get it for a lot less. It is never busy- for good reason. Why Seabourn does not admit this brand-challenger of a mistake is beyond me. Better then to remove the eyesore and restore the area for deck sports as on Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest, which is accessible to all passengers. All inclusive luxury should mean exactly that.

Just sayin’

Happy and healthy sailing!

Why on earth does anyone want to spend a day in the viewless, airless place that is the retreat? If you are in need of extra space then by all means upgrade your room, or if it is the champagne you are after then it can be purchased elsewhere, but it is not in my opinion a particularly pleasant place to spend you time in, and is very unpopular with regular guests.

Not wishing to pass judgement either way on the attractiveness of the Retreat proposition, but one observation from our recent cruise on Ovation.

Our itinerary was 14 nights in S.E Asia, with 6 sea days and beautiful weather throughout.

I made a point of visiting The Retreat during the day at least 6 times throughout the cruise, mainly on sea days.

During these visits I did not see even one guest using the facility, or any member of the crew. It was deserted throughout.

If I had paid to use this facility I would have felt very uncomfortable sitting alone in The Retreat.  Perhaps it should be renamed the Marie Celeste Lounge !  :classic_wink:    

The whole concept of the Retreat is flawed and many people have let Seabourn know this loud and clear, so far to no avail. We’ve even been offered a “freebie” day - not sure why - but said “thanks but no thanks”. We had also seen how empty and abandoned it was on the several times we checked. It seems that most people have voted with their feet. It only remains to be seen how long Seabourn will continue to ignore them.

We may be in the minority but we were surprised we enjoyed The Retreat as much as we did.  The first day we used it was given to us by friends as a honeymoon gift.  We chose a port day in a place we knew we’d spend minimal time ashore in.  We were the only guests there that day... it was grey and a bit drizzly for part of the so most passengers were onboard after lunch and congregating in the indoor areas.

We enjoyed a lovely al fresco breakfast and quite time reading in the sun before the afternoon grayness settled in.  By then, we’d enjoyed a lovely lunch and taken a couple of dips in the hot tub and decided to settle into our cabana to watch movies, play cards, and sip wine.

We used our cabana from probably 10 am to past 6 pm and loved the cozy quiet.

While I would never see myself buying a full-cruise pass, it’s definitely a good way to carve out some quiet time.

We ended up going back for another day with friends because we had a lot of onboard credit to be utilized.  We would have ended up spending it at the spa and on wine anyway so with this we got those things plus the space for the same price.  That was also a port day and there were a total of three couples there that day.  They tried to spread is out between cabanas so everyone had a bit of privacy.  They have fixed the cabana shutters so that they can now be opened up for sea views.

We did not use it on a sea day but understand they were sold to full capacity. We went up to say hi to friends that day and it was busy and well-utilized.

I am currently on the Encore En route from Phuket to Mangalore (Phuket replacing Columbo in Sri Lanka for obvious reasons)

The Retreat is a ghost town as usual and the temperature on deck is 33 degrees 

but the temperature in the Marie Celeste suite is way above that and incredibly stuffy.

i have suggested to guest services that if any guest is foolish enough to book this facility then Seabourn should have the medical staff on standby in one of the cabanas in the likely event of a medical emergency.

13 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

I am currently on the Encore En route from Phuket to Mangalore (Phuket replacing Columbo in Sri Lanka for obvious reasons)

The Retreat is a ghost town as usual and the temperature on deck is 33 degrees 

but the temperature in the Marie Celeste suite is way above that and incredibly stuffy.

i have suggested to guest services that if any guest is foolish enough to book this facility then Seabourn should have the medical staff on standby in one of the cabanas in the likely event of a medical emergency.

Love it!  I tried the Retreat once and it was a hot day as you described.  I had to keep leaving the Retreat to cool off in the main pool.  It was absolutely stifling under those canopies, with no air movement (except from the fan in the cabana - seriously why would you?).  Its not for me, I am very happy with the excellent personalised service and comfort I get in the "free" areas of the ship! I have been on the Encore since and the Retreat was a ghost town every day as well.................................................  I recognise that some may like it but they do seem to be in the minority.

My two cruises on Encore & Ovation (Med & Norway) were absolutely lovely and made quite a SB fan out of me.   So much so, that I did another in December, and have two more booked.   

That said, the one aspect that completely mystifies me is The Retreat.   I wandered up there several times during both Encore/Ovation cruises and it was vacant or almost so each time.   SB was really making an effort to get passengers to try The Retreat on the Ovation Norway cruise and offered us champagne to hang out in the cabanas for several hours on embarkation day.  I did go up for the champagne (duh!), but still could not understand how it was really any better than my suite balcony and/or the pool/whirlpool areas of the ship which were included in my cruise fare.

SB does seem determined to make a go of The Retreat concept, and so far has not backed away from it.   I do wonder, however, how long it can last based on what I have seen regarding its occupancy.    I suppose only time will tell.

The Retreat is actually a perfect name for this space as most passengers are retreating from it.