Is Formal Night a thing of the past?

evitacruiser

The solution to all this is easy...  My spouse and I gave up eating in the MDR years ago.  Poor service, warm (not hot) food, too noisy and too crowded.  No worries on whether we will be denied entry or face the rathe of table mates.  Specialty restaurants or even the buffet offer more choices and better dining with out the clothing hassle.  Wonderfully liberating!

Edited by Globehoppers

1 hour ago, Ma Bell said:

Why are you quoting me?

I am cgolf 1, just don't have my iPad at work.

My apologies if I misquoted you, your comments read to me as pro formal night.

to the opinion part though, the only one that matters is Celebrity, they can choose who to let in and who to deny access to the different dining rooms. I am always baffled how heated these discussions get on all cruise boards, not just CC:)

57 minutes ago, cgolf2 said:

I am cgolf 1, just don't have my iPad at work.

My apologies if I misquoted you, your comments read to me as pro formal night.

to the opinion part though, the only one that matters is Celebrity, they can choose who to let in and who to deny access to the different dining rooms. I am always baffled how heated these discussions get on all cruise boards, not just CC:)

I am pro Chic Night and like to see people make an effort but if you or anyone else want to wear your jammies be my guest. What I find interesting is how people ascribe motives to others. Do we have "thought police" now?

In all my years sailing with Celebrity I've never heard another person say a word to someone else about what they were wearing. We all make our own choices and don't need to make excuses for them. Just make a choice and live with it. I don't choose my friends by what they are wearing. 

• Like 2

I will not be in a tux, but will get dressed up for our evening chic nights.  I am from Kentucky, and men tend to get very creative and colorful when they attend the races on Derby week.  I plan to wear what I will call Derby attire on those 2 nights....Some inspiration!

image.png.242107db879739d548cbf762c709d1d3.png

image.png.4711e4daebbde84023acf6cc88dc1760.png

image.png.101e0f80e8958ccc39f6b556321d12ad.png

image.png.ce3251c9101bd9d84c1e6bc72b6a38bf.png

image.png.337a86d22506955749490e93cf89ecc0.pngimage.png.325536f472d89487f938bb183e576f19.png

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ma Bell said:

I am pro Chic Night and like to see people make an effort but if you or anyone else want to wear your jammies be my guest. What I find interesting is how people ascribe motives to others. Do we have "thought police" now?

In all my years sailing with Celebrity I've never heard another person say a word to someone else about what they were wearing. We all make our own choices and don't need to make excuses for them. Just make a choice and live with it. I don't choose my friends by what they are wearing. 

We are on the same page, and I do make an effort, I just don't do jackets or ties (don't know how to tie one), but do wear nice clothes to respect the atmosphere of the dining venue.

Edited by cgolf2

36 minutes ago, cgolf2 said:

We are on the same page, and I do make an effort, I just don't do jackets or ties (don't know how to tie one), but do wear nice clothes to respect the atmosphere of the dining venue.

I'm with you, I also make an effort without a jacket.  I save my best Hawaiian shirts and clean running shoes for Evening Chic nights.

1 hour ago, CardRock said:

I will not be in a tux, but will get dressed up for our evening chic nights.  I am from Kentucky, and men tend to get very creative and colorful when they attend the races on Derby week.  I plan to wear what I will call Derby attire on those 2 nights....Some inspiration!

image.png.242107db879739d548cbf762c709d1d3.png

image.png.4711e4daebbde84023acf6cc88dc1760.png

image.png.101e0f80e8958ccc39f6b556321d12ad.png

image.png.ce3251c9101bd9d84c1e6bc72b6a38bf.png

image.png.337a86d22506955749490e93cf89ecc0.pngimage.png.325536f472d89487f938bb183e576f19.png

Anyone remember when they had horse races on Celebrity, we won about $1200 on one years ago. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 10:55 AM, shipgeeks said:

Dressing up is not gone; it is just one of the options.  Many of us still do dress up on Chic nights, others less so.  DH does not cruise without his tuxedo.  If you, like us, enjoy that, keep doing it; you will not be alone.

Thanks--we like to dress up so we will on our Mediterranean cruise in July on the Infinity.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Anyone remember when they had horse races on Celebrity, we won about $1200 on one years ago. 

Well, I will be at the KY Derby for the first time this year! Hoping to win money to use on our cruise in July! Love your pictures here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cgolf2 said:

Agree, it gives me a chance to wear gowns that I would not have a chance to wear otherwise.  I am the type that would travel with a steamer trunk full of clothes if I could.  To each his own my grandmother would say!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villauk said:

In general, European cruises tend to be more formal 😉.

I tend to agree, did a prince European cruise in 2012 and gowns were everywhere.  Okay a gown lets me feel a bit like royalty :)

• Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 7:11 PM, sailco said:

People tend to dress more formally on European cruises especially in the Mediterranean. 

Probably true, but the number of people that dress more formally are still very much in the minority.  Most people in all parts of the world seem to appreciate the casual dress on Evening Chic as well as the other nights.  There really isn't any reason that anyone needs to dress more formally on European cruises.  I hope everyone enjoys themselves in their formal wear or their Hawaiian shirts and doesn't feel any pressure to change from whatever makes them comfortable.

2 hours ago, cgolf2 said:

ties (don't know how to tie one),

Now we would find this strange as our kids have to wear ties to school, so have to know how to tie them 👔 😁. They are recognised as to their houses by their tie colours (obviously this doesn’t happen in the US?).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

There really isn't any reason that anyone needs to dress more formally on European cruises. 

I think the point is that no one needs to, but folks are stating it is more noticeable. The same as saying face masks are more apparently worn in certain parts of Asia, no one needs to but they are definitely more noticeable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villauk said:

Now we would find this strange as our kids have to wear ties to school, so have to know how to tie them 👔 😁. They are recognised as to their houses by their tie colours (obviously this doesn’t happen in the US?).

Back to my normal login lol. I grew up eating out at nice places, but we just used a clip on tie when I was a kid or some kind of sweater. Now that I am grown up, my job doesn’t call for a tie, and actually is a hazard, so I don’t have any reason to wear them. My attire at work varies on my mood from hoodies to polo shirts. They truly don’t care as long as we do our jobs. 

5 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Back to my normal login lol. I grew up eating out at nice places, but we just used a clip on tie when I was a kid or some kind of sweater. Now that I am grown up, my job doesn’t call for a tie, and actually is a hazard, so I don’t have any reason to wear them. My attire at work varies on my mood from hoodies to polo shirts. They truly don’t care as long as we do our jobs. 

It’s definitely a cultural difference as our kids have to wear a uniform too, including a blazer and proper leather shoes. If they turn up in trainer type footwear, the parents will be called to bring shoes or they will be sent home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lauriekm17 said:

Well, I will be at the KY Derby for the first time this year! Hoping to win money to use on our cruise in July! Love your pictures here.

Good luck on your betting...I am much better at blindly picking a winner out of a pot at whatever party we are going to... 

You better bring your fashion A-game!  Are you sitting under cover?  Might be rainy looking at the forecast. 

My daughter works at Churchill Downs and she has been assigned to work the red carpet...she is excited to see some celebs!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villauk said:

My sons went to a boys Catholic high hchool here in Kentucky...I am also an alum.  Students wear ties every day.  They have a house system, but do not coordinate ties.  My daughter went to an all-girls high school and had to wear a uniform complete with plaid skirt and coordinating sweater...but no tie. 

Edited by CardRock
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, davekathy said:

We remember the horse races along with having to pay to join the Captains Club.  Dating ourselves. 

How about when on Formal Nights Celebrity would request that pax stay dressed formally for the whole evening.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jsf said:

How about when on Formal Nights Celebrity would request that pax stay dressed formally for the whole evening.

Yes we also remember those nights. We still don't go back to our stateroom and change. Our preference. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yes we also remember those nights. We still don't go back to our stateroom and change. Our preference. 

Remember that also and the thing was everyone dressed up or you could only eat in your room.  No specialties and Celebrity for years did not have the buffet open for dinner.