Jump to content

Elevators


Recommended Posts

Can I just put this out there, a friend got off a cruise just a bit ago and got a tongue lashing from a woman on a scooter for getting in the elevator.

Just because you are not in a wheel chair or scooter does not mean you can handle the stairs any better then they can! you have every right to use the elevator.

 

 I have COPD husband has a torn ACL ...try tongue lashing me!!! Poor thing was just embarrassed and slunk out of the elevator!

Just because you cannot see our disability does not mean we do not have one!

 

 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

 Shoot, I have zero disability and I’ll be darned if somebody’s gonna tongue lash me for riding the elevator.

Same here would not stand for it!! I wish I was there!!

 

 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you sure the tongue lashing was just for getting on the elevator? Perhaps they did not allow the scooter to exit first and that is what prompted the tongue lashing. Or maybe they prevented the scooter from getting on the elevator. A tongue lashing is rude in either case but I’m betting there was some other provocation than just getting on the elevator.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Reader0108598 said:

Can I just put this out there, a friend got off a cruise just a bit ago and got a tongue lashing from a woman on a scooter for getting in the elevator.

Just because you are not in a wheel chair or scooter does not mean you can handle the stairs any better then they can! you have every right to use the elevator.

 

 I have COPD husband has a torn ACL ...try tongue lashing me!!! Poor thing was just embarrassed and slunk out of the elevator!

Just because you cannot see our disability does not mean we do not have one!

 

 

I am absolutely sure there is more to the story

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Are you sure the tongue lashing was just for getting on the elevator? Perhaps they did not allow the scooter to exit first and that is what prompted the tongue lashing. Or maybe they prevented the scooter from getting on the elevator. A tongue lashing is rude in either case but I’m betting there was some other provocation than just getting on the elevator.

She did get on the elevator first! stood in the corner it was pretty full she cannot breathe well no way to do the stairs! Scooter squeezed in and proceeded to tell her how rude she was in front of everyone. Friend had been waiting before scooter appeared! Why should my friend have to wait longer because a scooter appeared ? She probably needed to sit more than the person on the scooter needed the elevator.

 

 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

She did get on the elevator first! stood in the corner it was packed she cannot breathe no way to do the stairs! Scooter squeezed in and proceeded to tell her how rude she was in front of everyone. Friend had been waiting before scooter appeared! Why should my friend have to wait longer because a scooter appeared ? She probably needed to sit more than the person on the scooter needed the elevator.

 

Well, there you go. The scooter rider was really angry at your friend for taking what they perceived to be their spot on the elevator. If the scooter didn’t have to squeeze in, they likely would not have said anything. No doubt they were in the wrong and rude but the reason for the rudeness, in my opinion, was not just for getting on the elevator.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, blackshirt said:

Well, there you go. The scooter rider was really angry at your friend for taking what they perceived to be their spot on the elevator. If the scooter didn’t have to squeeze in, they likely would not have said anything. No doubt they were in the wrong and rude but the reason for the rudeness, in my opinion, was not just for getting on the elevator.

you could be right .cannot tell what is going on with someone just by looking at them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

if the scooter didnt have enough room or didnt want to squeeze in...TO BAD..... they can wait for the next one......

 

and shame on anyone blaming the other person. lots of clueless self entitled keyboard warriors.  I post what i would have said, except it probably would get me removed from cruise critic

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, steevo L said:

if the scooter didnt have enough room or didnt want to squeeze in...TO BAD..... they can wait for the next one......

 

and shame on anyone blaming the other person. lots of clueless self entitled keyboard warriors.  I post what i would have said, except it probably would get me removed from cruise critic

Lol!! 🙂

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My daughter & I encountered several people in walkers, scooters or wheel chairs on our Princess cruise last month. I had a  lady using a walker jump into the elevator as I was attempting to exit . I had to jump back into the elevator to avoid being hit. We witnessed several people all able to walk, rush the elevators to get in and not waiting for others to exit. They need a  talk on elevator etiquette. Those in Wheel Chairs were very polite and others allowed them to get on or exit first.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just being disabled doesn't give you the right to butt in front of everyone....however, if accommodations can be made, they should be.  Not everyone who is NOT in a wheelchair/walker/ cane/ scooter, etc.....can manage  stairs.  So...be cool.  You're on VACATION!  You're not in a hurry!  Relax folks!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Just being disabled doesn't give you the right to butt in front of everyone....however, if accommodations can be made, they should be.  Not everyone who is NOT in a wheelchair/walker/ cane/ scooter, etc.....can manage  stairs.  So...be cool.  You're on VACATION!  You're not in a hurry!  Relax folks!

That was my point worked in long term care for 24 years. Would give up my spot any time unless I was in trouble needed to get back to my room for more meds! No shame in that! No one should be shamed we have no clue what is going on with them!

 

 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

Anyone can ride the elevator, for any reason, for any number of floors, up or down. 

Be careful on the wording there!  Was in an elevator on a cruise last year, there was a pair of kids alternating stairs and elevator, one would take the stairs one deck while the one taking the elevator would press the button for the next deck, they'd switch at each deck.  Yeah, after 3-4 rounds it was ended by another elevator passenger...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hallux said:

Be careful on the wording there!  Was in an elevator on a cruise last year, there was a pair of kids alternating stairs and elevator, one would take the stairs one deck while the one taking the elevator would press the button for the next deck, they'd switch at each deck.  Yeah, after 3-4 rounds it was ended by another elevator passenger...

Agree. That foolishness is not okay. I amend my comment to say.. not for fun and games. Silly kids, I would have put an end to it as well. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gerif said:

Actually, someone in a wheelchair or scooter is already sitting. No need to get on the elevator first. 

I rarely weigh in on elevator discussions, but I would like to say that I am handicapped and use a chair. On my last cruise, there were times that I had to wait for four or more elevators to go by because people would rush them. One woman actually fell in my lap, she was pushing so hard to get past me. If you are mobility challenged, you have to learn to be patient, but that is very frustrating. One time, after I had been waiting for a long time, the fifth elevator opened and a group of people pushed past me, a tiny woman stood in the door and shouted, "STOP...this woman (meaning me) has been waiting a long time. Y'all can wait for the next elevator." I wanted to give her a huge hug. I did thank her profusely once we were on the elevator.

 

Also, it is usually easiest to let the chair or scooter on first, and then pack around it. If you've never operated one, you don't know how hard it is to get them in a small area, with lots of toes just ripe for running over accidentally.

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, VirginiaIsForCruisers said:

I rarely weigh in on elevator discussions, but I would like to say that I am handicapped and use a chair. On my last cruise, there were times that I had to wait for four or more elevators to go by because people would rush them. One woman actually fell in my lap, she was pushing so hard to get past me. If you are mobility challenged, you have to learn to be patient, but that is very frustrating. One time, after I had been waiting for a long time, the fifth elevator opened and a group of people pushed past me, a tiny woman stood in the door and shouted, "STOP...this woman (meaning me) has been waiting a long time. Y'all can wait for the next elevator." I wanted to give her a huge hug. I did thank her profusely once we were on the elevator.

 

Also, it is usually easiest to let the chair or scooter on first, and then pack around it. If you've never operated one, you don't know how hard it is to get them in a small area, with lots of toes just ripe for running over accidentally.

 

 

I know it is not easy for you as I said worked in long term care for 24 years mainly with MS patients! Aunt who lived next door to us was a parapalegic my only point is people need not judge someone just because they can walk . We have no idea what they are dealing with! Be well  🙂 ! 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, VirginiaIsForCruisers said:

I rarely weigh in on elevator discussions, but I would like to say that I am handicapped and use a chair. On my last cruise, there were times that I had to wait for four or more elevators to go by because people would rush them. One woman actually fell in my lap, she was pushing so hard to get past me. If you are mobility challenged, you have to learn to be patient, but that is very frustrating. One time, after I had been waiting for a long time, the fifth elevator opened and a group of people pushed past me, a tiny woman stood in the door and shouted, "STOP...this woman (meaning me) has been waiting a long time. Y'all can wait for the next elevator." I wanted to give her a huge hug. I did thank her profusely once we were on the elevator.

 

Also, it is usually easiest to let the chair or scooter on first, and then pack around it. If you've never operated one, you don't know how hard it is to get them in a small area, with lots of toes just ripe for running over accidentally.

 

 

It is easier for everyone if you allow a wheelchair or scooter to get on an elevator first.  Standing people have more flexibility and can then find a spot on the elevator. I am shocked at the responses on this thread.  Normally, people are much more supportive of the mobility challenged.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I am absolutely sure there is more to the story

 

There has to be, there were other people on the elevator, why was the friend the only one to receive the tongue lashing? If it was simply to shame her for taking the elevator instead of the stairs then why didn't everyone in the elevator get tongue lashed?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...