Elevators

42 minutes ago, Reader0108598 said:

I understand what you are saying but please understand there are disabilities you cannot see that prevent you from using the stairs. So whose disability wins out? The one that is visabale just because it is? Friend was there first,needed to get back to her cabin she was short of breath.! Well aware of what wheel chairs and scooters can do worked in long term care for 24 years.

Exactly.  I’m still not fully recovered from back surgery.  I can walk up or down one, maybe two decks worth of stairs, and that’s about it. I’m not entitled to, nor do I particularly want a disabled parking permit, or any other accommodations of the sort.  There are plenty more people who have more debilitating conditions.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

iuki, I for one, will always ask when the doors open, if anyone is getting off before even thinking about getting on, I recall one instance where a wife was pushing her husband in the wheel chair and  we were riding the elevator up. We got to my floor however, she would have had to push her husband out for me to get off. I told her to go ahead to their floor and I would ride it back down. I was in no hurry. Some day I could be the person in a wheel chair or scooter, needing assistance. 

I also ask if anyone is coming out.  What that person on the scooter did to that other lady is terrible.  I just can’t understand why people have to be nasty to others.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:18 PM, VirginiaIsForCruisers said:

I rarely weigh in on elevator discussions, but I would like to say that I am handicapped and use a chair. On my last cruise, there were times that I had to wait for four or more elevators to go by because people would rush them. One woman actually fell in my lap, she was pushing so hard to get past me. If you are mobility challenged, you have to learn to be patient, but that is very frustrating. One time, after I had been waiting for a long time, the fifth elevator opened and a group of people pushed past me, a tiny woman stood in the door and shouted, "STOP...this woman (meaning me) has been waiting a long time. Y'all can wait for the next elevator." I wanted to give her a huge hug. I did thank her profusely once we were on the elevator.

Also, it is usually easiest to let the chair or scooter on first, and then pack around it. If you've never operated one, you don't know how hard it is to get them in a small area, with lots of toes just ripe for running over accidentally.

First, kudos to the amazing woman who called out all the RUDE passengers (clearly missing out on 5 minutes at the buffet as they hogged their poolside chair for an hour!) who felt they could jump ahead of you. And secondly you are much sweeter than I would have been as I "accidentally" ran over every single one of their toes as I said "OOPSIE! Just got my learners permit for this thing!" I would happily stand aside to not only let a wheelchair on before me but a true lady! Hoping some people read and LEARN from your post!

• Like 3