Internet Prices

ReneeFLL

I haven't sailed on Celebrity in a while and I just looked at the internet price for an upcoming cruise. It comes to 32.00 a day and I'm guessing that's before gratuities! That's crazy.:classic_ohmy:   It did say it was select. Is there a cheaper internet package? Also, on Royal if you are Diamond you get a free day of internet. Does Celebrity do that for elite?

There are no gratuties added to the internet packages.  

If you are Diamond on Royal then you can get a Captains Club # and you will be entitled to the Elite benefits which include a 30% discount on internet packages or 90 minutes of free internet ( not continuous).  

Some ships have a lower cost internet package, surf and email , no streaming, FaceTime , etc.

be sure to get the CC# so you can enjoy all the Elite benefits,

8 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

You don’t pay gratuities on internet.  You get 240 minutes for being Elite.  You don’t have to use them all at once, you can sign on and off, up to 240 minutes of use.

Elite is 90 minutes, 240 is for Elite plus.  The reciprocal benefits stop at Elite.

• Thanks 1

We just got off the Edge and were somewhat aghast at the internet prices. "Sticker" price for the equivalent of RCI's "Surf + Stream" was $259/wk for 1 device. In the cruise planner it was 10% off at $224. On-board it was 30% off for Elite and was $181.

We waited a few days and got it on Day 3 for $115 with the Elite discount. 

They did have a cheaper "Surf" option, if all you need is to check e-mail, etc. No streaming. 

mac_tlc

On 4/21/2019 at 12:17 AM, ReneeFLL said:

I haven't sailed on Celebrity in a while and I just looked at the internet price for an upcoming cruise. It comes to 32.00 a day and I'm guessing that's before gratuities! That's crazy.:classic_ohmy:   It did say it was select. Is there a cheaper internet package? Also, on Royal if you are Diamond you get a free day of internet. Does Celebrity do that for elite?

We  have been frustrated with how slow the internet has been aboard the ships.  This is particularly the case during sea days.  The pricing for the quality seems to be very expensive in my opinion.  

Take the 90 free minutes per Elite and you could always buy a pro-rated plan once on board as you see the internet speeds.

2 hours ago, citronella said:

We have a free internet perk - suppose it is expecting too much that you can stream with this ? If so, can you upgrade to streaming category ?

The internet package in perk is the unlimited streaming already.

14 hours ago, keesar said:

We  have been frustrated with how slow the internet has been aboard the ships.  This is particularly the case during sea days.  The pricing for the quality seems to be very expensive in my opinion.  

Take the 90 free minutes per Elite and you could always buy a pro-rated plan once on board as you see the internet speeds.

I think the speed depends upon the ship. The Edge was amazing compared to other ships we have sailed, though didn't do a lot of streaming - there is a router in every cabin. The Infinity was terrible a couple of weeks ago, frequently disconnecting and so slowwwww (not worth the unlimited package). I'm assuming the Revolutionized ships might be better, hopefully with upgrades?

16 hours ago, 39august said:

Elite gets 30% off an internet package. Thus a 7 night cruise is $157 for one devise. One at a time. You can actually use several devises. Still higher than RCI but better than no discount.

With that price I'll still pass. That comes to 22.00 a day which is double what it cost on Royal. The price gouging these days is terrible. I will definitely use the 90 minutes and that's it. Thanks for the info everyone.

13 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

The internet package in perk is the unlimited streaming already.

Unfortunately, it has only worked for me on port days when many people are off the ship or late nights when people are asleep. Truly frustrating to use for anything but simple emails and webpages. Rather than streaming, I've tried to download a movie that would take maybe a minute at home but would take well over an hour during the day on the ship, if it didn't crash. 

11 minutes ago, Paulras said:

Unfortunately, it has only worked for me on port days when many people are off the ship or late nights when people are asleep. Truly frustrating to use for anything but simple emails and webpages. Rather than streaming, I've tried to download a movie that would take maybe a minute at home but would take well over an hour during the day on the ship, if it didn't crash. 

If you can download a minute in less time than the movie itself, it is streaming possible. You need around 3Mbps for streaming a movie smoothly. Someone just reported watching Netflix without problem. The actual speed depends on the ship, location, itinerary, weather, and number of users at the same time. The introduction of the surf package may have made it worse.

22 minutes ago, Tourist1292 said:

If you can download a minute in less time than the movie itself, it is streaming possible. You need around 3Mbps for streaming a movie smoothly. Someone just reported watching Netflix without problem. The actual speed depends on the ship, location, itinerary, weather, and number of users at the same time. The introduction of the surf package may have made it worse.

Should have said half hour tv episodes rather than movies. But my speed tests on Caribbean sailings were rarely above 3Mbps. Agreed on the new packages making it worse if bandwidth isn't upgraded. 

Also note that your speed needs to be consistently above a certain level or you'll get buffering until the bandwidth is back. That's very annoying, watch 30 seconds, wait 30 seconds, etc. So downloading is always a better option if possible vs streaming. 

Edited by Paulras

3 hours ago, Paulras said:

Should have said half hour tv episodes rather than movies. But my speed tests on Caribbean sailings were rarely above 3Mbps. Agreed on the new packages making it worse if bandwidth isn't upgraded. 

Also note that your speed needs to be consistently above a certain level or you'll get buffering until the bandwidth is back. That's very annoying, watch 30 seconds, wait 30 seconds, etc. So downloading is always a better option if possible vs streaming. 

I guess I will use Netflix predownload before the cruise. I really worry the lower cost surf package is attracting a lot more people to compete with the bandwidth, particularly in the ship s that has not been upgraded like Solstice.