Cruise Critic Community
Rowtyd

Can FTTF be purchased at check-in or once on the ship?

My sailing Faster To The Fun is sold out.  We are still 5 months away from sailing.  Does FTTF ever open any slots as the cruise approaches?  Can FTTF be purchased on the ship?  I am getting on the ship early as part of a wedding party.  I assume the FTTF early embarkation benefit isn't needed since I'll be on the ship prior to 10:30am for the wedding.  I was hoping I could enjoy the other benefits by purchasing at check-in or once on the ship.  Any advice?  Thanks.

Unfortunately, it cannot be purchased once onboard the ship.  They only allow a certain number of FTTF for each cruise.  Your only hope is that they add more.  Keep checking daily and check around time for final payment.  Some that have bought it will cancel their cruise and then those will go up for sale.  Good luck!

FYI, there is no guarantee that you will be on board by 10:30.  Wedding parties are the first to board but the ship has to be cleared from the previous cruise before boarding starts.  The ship could be late coming in,  Customs inspection,  people not getting off the ship from the previous cruise, etc.  There are a number of things that "might" delay boarding.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

There are a number of things that "might" delay boarding.

As there could be delays in debarkation....you just don't know what the weather, customs etal  might bring.  

4 hours ago, Rowtyd said:

I am getting on the ship early as part of a wedding party.  I assume the FTTF early embarkation benefit isn't needed since I'll be on the ship prior to 10:30am for the wedding.

As others have mentioned, I would not expect to be on the ship prior to 10:30 AM. Boarding between 11:00 AM and 11:30 AM is a more realistic time frame.  When we were on Horizon last month, passengers from the last cruise were still getting off the ship at 10:45 AM. Of course there is always the chance everything works perfectly and you get on the ship earlier than normal. 

Posted (edited)

Sometimes FTTF will become available for a very short period of time after it appears sold out.  I was able to get it one time by checking every day.  You just have to be lucky enough to check at the right time and there is no way to know when that will be.

Edited by TNcruising02

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Rowtyd said:

My sailing Faster To The Fun is sold out.  We are still 5 months away from sailing.  Does FTTF ever open any slots as the cruise approaches?  Can FTTF be purchased on the ship?  I am getting on the ship early as part of a wedding party.  I assume the FTTF early embarkation benefit isn't needed since I'll be on the ship prior to 10:30am for the wedding.  I was hoping I could enjoy the other benefits by purchasing at check-in or once on the ship.  Any advice?  Thanks.

Wedding guests board before Diamonds and Platinums, they are the very first to step on the ship.  That probably won't be at 10:30AM, depends on the port and the ship.  Lately most ships in MIA and FLL haven't started boarding until 11:30AM, that's becoming the new normal.

Once you are on the ship, you cannot purchase FTTF, and you don't say how or why you might need it then.

Edited by evandbob

7 hours ago, Rowtyd said:

Unless if you are very picky about having a certain dining time, I wouldn’t recommend having FTTF in your situation. If you want to add cash to your onboard account, purchase Cruise Cash before sailing, and you won’t need to visit Guest Services; you may even be able to add it at the terminal before you board. If you are able to carry your own luggage off at debarkation, you can be one of the first off the ship. Even if you wanted to book the Behind The Fun tour for your sailing, you should be able to do it when you board since you will be on so early.

49 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Wedding guests board before Diamonds and Platinums, they are the very first to step on the ship.  That probably won't be at 10:30AM, depends on the port and the ship.  Lately most ships in MIA and FLL haven't started boarding until 11:30AM, that's becoming the new normal.

Once you are on the ship, you cannot purchase FTTF, and you don't say how or why you might need it then.

We are platinum and the last two cruises out of Miami we did not board until 1130am and 1145am.

I agree, it probably isn’t worth it to me to purchase if it opens up.  The carnival wedding planner told me that everyone attending the wedding must be on the ship by 10:30am.  Some attending the wedding are not cruising and will get off the ship prior to sailing.  I have no knowledge of any of that process.  The benefit I was more concerned with getting is the priority tender in Belize since I was told it’s a lengthy tender.  I have no reason to rush off the ship after the cruise either, my flight is 2pm.  So $90 for an early tender does sound ridiculous once I think about it.  Thanks for all the info.  

34 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

It's just one of those things where you have to weigh the pros & cons, see how many of the benefits you'll take advantage of, and decide if it's worth the cost or not. You won't need priority boarding, since you'll already have it, but you will get immediate room access. And priority tender. Priority luggage is nice if you like to unpack as soon as you can. Just be aware that, even if you have FTTF, your luggage may not come right away. Last year we had everything by about 2pm. I had to go to Guest Services 2 or 3 times and loved being able to use the priority line since the regular line was always long. So you'll be able to benefit from more than just priority tendering, but it's up to you whether or not it's worth paying for.

Thanks for the reminder.  Yes, early access to my cabin and priority luggage will make it worry it if it becomes available.  

5 hours ago, Rowtyd said:

Thanks for the reminder.  Yes, early access to my cabin and priority luggage will make it worry it if it becomes available.  

Just an FYI, as Organized Chaos mentioned, priority luggage does not guarantee you'll get your luggage early. We've had FTTF before and did not receive our luggage until after the ship had set sail. Also, priority tender is only for leaving the ship, on the return tenders it is first come, first serve.

21 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

Just an FYI, as Organized Chaos mentioned, priority luggage does not guarantee you'll get your luggage early. We've had FTTF before and did not receive our luggage until after the ship had set sail. Also, priority tender is only for leaving the ship, on the return tenders it is first come, first serve.

thanks, good to know

If you have a tight timetable, you can be on that first tender to Belize by being at the gathering location right when they open. It has worked for me several times. 

On 4/22/2019 at 6:16 AM, Pyrate13 said:

That has been our experience too. We are both Platinum and always drop off luggage with porters.  Luggage has been at our cabin as early as when we first got to our cabin and as late as after the safety briefing.