Transport from LAX to Long Beach

Have been trying to check in for weeks and the system will not save my phone number. Called Crystal and it didn’t work for the agent either. She gave me an email address for pcpc and that didn’t work. Am at my wits end. Help!!!

5 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Long Beach is about a 40 - 60 minute drive from LAX depending on time of day.  I am not a fan of Uber or Lyft in LA (or anywhere really).  Execucar is a good option.  We would use Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle.

I've never used Lyft, but have used Uber and have always had a good experience. Could you please tell me why you don't like them in LA. Thanks!!

Patty

We use Uber a lot. You can also get a luxury Uber car in advance through their app.  We find their cars very cleane and drivers very nice.  Like Texas Tillie I too am curious why one would not like Uber and much cheaper than cabs and other limousine companies.

When arriving at LAX, one can get taxis on the Arrival level.  Lyft and Uber are required to use the Departure Level for pickups at LAX.  If one has a lot of luggage, it may be more convenient to use a taxi as opposed to Uber or Lyft when exiting LAX.

8 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Long Beach is about a 40 - 60 minute drive from LAX depending on time of day.  I am not a fan of Uber or Lyft in LA (or anywhere really).  Execucar is a good option.  We would use Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle.

Funny you should mention Execucar...

Last year I actually used Execucar's Business Express option for this exact purpose -- LAX-Long Beach -- and I was very happy with the service.  It does work kind of like ride sharing in that they assign a specific vehicle on-demand and it picks you up curbside instead of having a meet and greet, but it has the advantages of being a larger vehicle with plenty of cargo space (we had a crazy amount of luggage) and it picks up you up on the arrivals level.  Not to mention it's tighter managed and regulated.  For me it was the perfect chance to pay for the features I wanted out of Execucar without paying for the things I didn't need.

I ride Uber and Lyft a lot for work, and I think overall they're a good thing, but I think if you ride them enough you definitely see the underside of the beast they've created. Cabs in the US may be universally unpleasant, but ride sharing services can be exponentially less consistent in what you get, not to mention having a much higher rate of driver's scamming the system in more blatant ways than cab drivers. 

There are definitely times I pick a sedan service for certain uses over ride sharing, but that's just a personal thing.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

As I read the posts it is a reminder why I use Execucar from LAX.

I do enjoy Uber and use them often but we use them mainly when we are already in a city.  For example used them in Beverly Hills to get from Beverly Hills to Hollywood and back.  

When we fly in I just prefer having a service that meets us at the Baggage Claim so I know they are there and I don't have to do any waiting.  They help us with our luggage and I hadn't thought about the issue that Rhonda mentioned about having to get from arrivals to another area of the airport.  

I am at a stage where I taxis are my last choice.  I find that many are very tired and dirty and drivers not very helpful and to some extent not very safe.  I also find that some of the Taxi drivers might take you for a ride.  In other words they might not take the direct route to build up the fare.

I do like Uber within cities as I can choose what kind of vehicle we want and like the features of the app.  I haven't tried Lyft and should sometime.  But as I said foe a pickup at the airport I do prefer services such as Execucar where they are waiting for me and I like their app as well.

Like most things we all have our preferences and this is another example of that.

Keith 

First, in LA Taxis are licensed.  Uber's and Lyft drivers will cancel your request on a moments notice here while you are waiting for them.  I got into a Lyft and about 15 minutes afterwards I was charged for a spill on the seat to have the seat cleaned because they said I damaged the seat.  It was a scam.  I disputed it but lost that although I had no way to defend it. LA Traffic can be a nightmare and the drivers will put you in it to jack the fare.

Also at LAX it's another issue with the pick up at Departures level.

I also don't like that they take advantage of the drivers. 

Carey Limousine is well known also if you want to go high end.

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.
6 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

First, in LA Taxis are licensed.  Uber's and Lyft drivers will cancel your request on a moments notice here while you are waiting for them.  I got into a Lyft and about 15 minutes afterwards I was charged for a spill on the seat to have the seat cleaned because they said I damaged the seat.  It was a scam.  I disputed it but lost that although I had no way to defend it. LA Traffic can be a nightmare and the drivers will put you in it to jack the fare.

Also at LAX it's another issue with the pick up at Departures level

I think a broad all encompassing definition of LA taxis and Uber and Lyft drivers is dangerous and simplistic

There are good and bad operators in all industries - the bad ones don’t last 

In my experience I’ve only ever had good Lyft and Uber operators and experiences who got me to my destinations without incident (including from LAX). If there is one potential problem it’s getting them to locate pick up points in places like the cruise terminal in Manhattan, NYC but at LAX the pick up points are clearly designated (is moving one level from arrivals to departures that difficult?) and work well. I love tracking my rides path to pick us up so we know exactly what car to look for and when to expect it

As for navigating LA traffic gridlock - good luck with that whatever form of transport you choose. Many drivers use WAZE which is great - but you can’t beat gridlock sometimes 

Sure pay for a limo for what could be a 30 minute ride (depending on the time) - enjoy the experience - but be prepared to pay a premium for it 

8 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

If there is one potential problem it’s getting them to locate pick up points in places like the cruise terminal in Manhattan, NYC but at LAX the pick up points are clearly designated (is moving one level from arrivals to departures that difficult?) and work well. I love tracking my rides path to pick us up so we know exactly what car to look for and when to expect it

And LAX is undergoing more construction so good luck with that.  A little secret a friend of mine used is to take a hotel shuttle from LAX to their hotel.  Then call your ride. Easier fro the bellman to call a cab or for your uber driver to find you.

• 7 months later...

For those of you who might not know there was an article in USA Today the other day that Super Shuttle is closing its operation throughout the USA the end of this year.  I contacted Execucar (sister company) and at this point they are closing as well unless someone comes in at the last minute to purchase them.

I suspect it is due to competition particularly by Uber and similar services.

I can't speak about Super Shuttle but we were not notified by Execucar for an existing booking for the spring of 2020 so not sure if they are reaching out to customers with existing bookings so thought I would mention this here for those on this board who have bookings with them or were thinking of them for a future booking.

Keith

Also if you are flying into LAX, they have re-routed all the shared ride services to a special parking lot and have reconfigured the traffic on the arrivals level.  If you have a private car booked, they can pick you up curbside.  If not, you now take a tram like service to the shared ride lot.

If I were flying to LAX for a cruise, I would only use a private car service or Crystal Transfer now. I am sure that it will change. An option might be to take a hotel shuttle to the hotel for a shared ride.

We just learned in my home city that the franchise that operated super shuttle/execucar is being rebranded and as of early next year will operate under a new name.  It will be interesting if something similar happens in Southern California.  

Keith

2 hours ago, rljan said:

If you haven't booked your airfare yet.  Long Beach Airport (LGB) is serviced by JetBlue and Southwest.  I avoid LAX if at all possible.

Concur. Lately we've been avoiding LAX even if it means taking one-stop flights. If the layover time is reasonable it's much less stressful than getting to and dealing with LAX.

Another option is John Wayne Airport about 25 miles south of the LA/LB cruise terminals. American, Delta and United all have service there and adjacent Newport Beach / Costa Mesa is a much nicer area to stay for a day or two if you're flying in early.