Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 17

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, April 12 and Sunday, April 28.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

One more.  Never thought I'd use a 400mm lens for insect photography.  AF didn't work on such a small target (though it may be user error).  My manual focusing leaves something to be desired; but at least it was close.  2T1A6636.thumb.jpg.c7bd4448fdac695babf43119edc8d985.jpg

Springtime brings color back to the wintry California landscape. Technically, it brings colors other than green, but that's still Spring to us. Misty mornings are also a common feature and combining the two always makes me grab my camera and go hunting. The last few years have been pretty dry and with the drip irrigation set to avoid the exorbitant surcharge for using too much water during the drought (surely to be replaced by a flooding recovery surcharge this year), our plants have done ok. Just ok. Not spectacular. This year, our Bottle Brush plants awoke from their usual trimmed  topiary shapes to erupt with hundreds of blooms. For a great photo-op, just add water!

Do the Dew

p3392786802-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 5:39 AM, pierces said:

Springtime brings color back to the wintry California landscape. Technically, it brings colors other than green, but that's still Spring to us. Misty mornings are also a common feature and combining the two always makes me grab my camera and go hunting. The last few years have been pretty dry and with the drip irrigation set to avoid the exorbitant surcharge for using too much water during the drought (surely to be replaced by a flooding recovery surcharge this year), our plants have done ok. Just ok. Not spectacular. This year, our Bottle Brush plants awoke from their usual trimmed  topiary shapes to erupt with hundreds of blooms. For a great photo-op, just add water!

Do the Dew

p3392786802-5.jpg

Dave

Dave: Photo didn't show up for me

54 minutes ago, tommui987 said:

Dave: Photo didn't show up for me

It showed up in your response. I tried Explorer, Edge and Chrome in incognito mode so I wouldn't have any special permissions and it was fine. Are you using one of those fruit machines?

Link to gallery: https://galleries.pptphoto.com/paw2019

Dave

2 hours ago, pierces said:

It showed up in your response. I tried Explorer, Edge and Chrome in incognito mode so I wouldn't have any special permissions and it was fine. Are you using one of those fruit machines?

Link to gallery: https://galleries.pptphoto.com/paw2019

Dave

iMac!  I switched from Windows way back when Apple did Photoshop better.

On 4/30/2019 at 1:43 PM, tommui987 said:

iMac!  I switched from Windows way back when Apple did Photoshop better.

Their latest iPhone update bricked almost all non-Apple charging cords so maybe Apple changed something in Safari so you can only see images processed on a Mac by someone who owns an iPhone. 😉 

Dave

Edited by pierces

My weekend birds again - a little slow to get around to processing since I didn't get out to shoot until Sunday this time, and have had a busy week...

Starting with the super-rare and amazingly exotic bird, the pigeon!  OK, I know...why is a birder posting a pigeon shot?  Well I just thought this white morph version was very pretty:

original.jpg

One of the migrating birds passing through S. Florida for Spring, on his way back north - a black-throated blue warbler:

original.jpg

A less common sandpiper for my area - we normally see the yellowlegs, the solitary sandpipers, and the dowichers, but this spotted sandpiper is one I've only 'spotted' a few times before:

original.jpg

A mottled duck momma with some ducklings hanging close around her:

original.jpg

A distant black-necked stilt sitting on her low nest, just off the waterline:

original.jpg

I did mention we commonly see the yellowlegs...well, here's the common lesser yellowlegs, to prove it:

original.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...