Killing Time Between Flight and Ship?

Our flight gets into Miami at 5am the day our cruise leaves the port.  If all goes well and our flight does not get delayed, that will leave us about 6-7 hours to kill, until our ship boarding time.  We don't want to sit in the airport/cruise port the entire time.  Any suggestions of what we should do - if anything, around the port in Miami?  Would you stay put in the airport/cruise port or would you go out adventuring?? 

Edited by CruiseFamilyx1215

Which airport? which port? how long a flight before? how soon do you want to be on board? or how late are you willing to board? what's an adventure for you? are the adventures open before 10AM?

Just now, naxer said:

Which airport? which port? how long a flight before? how soon do you want to be on board? or how late are you willing to board? what's an adventure for you? are the adventures open before 10AM?

Miami - we leave our city at 11pm the night before and get to Miami at 5am.. our ship boarding time is noon.  We want to be back to the port by 11:30. We would need options that are open before 10am.

Miami is a good place to adventure and kill time.  Luggage is the problem--there are storage places, but they don't open until latter.  In this instance I'd go to South Beach, arrange with a hotel ahead of time to drop the luggage (or maybe you can find a storage place that's open earlier), get a cool breakfast, and take an art deco tour, either self-guided from internet info, or find an early one at the tourist office.  Just the hotel lobbies are incredible.  South Beach is fun to just hang in.  But 7AM is pretty early for them 😉.  And then there is the beach; you might be there early enough to see your ship arriving. 

• Like 2

Miami Airport does have a place to store your luggage, I believe it is in Terminal E on the 2nd floor.  We use this all the time when traveling internationally through there.  We put our luggage in storage and head to Dolphin Mall.  You could store your luggage there and get a rental car to drive around the city to do shopping or get something to eat.  If you use Alamo, they have a free shuttle from the airport to the port.  Not sure what would be open at 5AM, but you could drive and get some breakfast and some last minute things for the trip.

Another option is that there is a hotel inside the airport.  Maybe they would sell you a day room.  Rest up before you set sail.

• Like 1

The best option I can think of is getting a hotel room like the Hilton Blue Lagoon next to the airport.  Then enjoy their pool, grab breakfast, etc.  Or just relax in the room.  Whether it's worth the cost is up to you.

Miami airport has pretty big baggage claims and you can almost certainly find a quiet corner with seating.  They also have little coffee stands you can grab coffee and what not, in the baggage claim.  It might be something to consider.

It's really dependent on what you feel like spending to kill a few hours.  The issue is that nothing is going to be open at 6AM to get out and do.  And when anything does open, you are close enough to check-in that it's not worth it.

• Like 1

I would do as some others suggested and see if you can get a hotel for the day.  A flight like that sounds exhausting.  I am one of those people who find it very difficult to get any sleep on a plane.  I would really want a place to rest and shower after that kind of a flight.  Then maybe I would relax by the pool until I was ready to go to the port.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

It may not help now, but for the future I recommend just coming in the day before and enjoying a night in the hotel. That eliminates a lot of time to kill. Instead, you can enjoy yourself before your vacation even starts!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BNBR said:

The best option I can think of is getting a hotel room like the Hilton Blue Lagoon next to the airport.  Then enjoy their pool, grab breakfast, etc.  Or just relax in the room.  Whether it's worth the cost is up to you.

Miami airport has pretty big baggage claims and you can almost certainly find a quiet corner with seating.  They also have little coffee stands you can grab coffee and what not, in the baggage claim.  It might be something to consider.

It's really dependent on what you feel like spending to kill a few hours.  The issue is that nothing is going to be open at 6AM to get out and do.  And when anything does open, you are close enough to check-in that it's not worth it.

These are all great ideas - thank you! 

59 minutes ago, CruiseFamilyx1215 said:

Do you know if you can get an actual room for day use?? I was thinking about booking a hotel room but that's a lot of money for only 6 hours.. 

Google day use hotel and you will get a few sites that offer them.  You pay around half the price of a room.  Basically you get the room from early morning until 1 or 2pm.  Then they clean the room and rent it to someone for a typical 3 check in.  You shouldn't have to pay until you get there and they have free cancelation incase something comes up with your flight.  This is what I do after a cruise if I have a late flight.  It's nice to relax, shower and  lay around instead of trying to keep busy.

1 hour ago, CruiseFamilyx1215 said:

Do you know if you can get an actual room for day use?? I was thinking about booking a hotel room but that's a lot of money for only 6 hours.. 

Normal checkout is 11AM at most hotels.  So if you just got a room for the night before, you would be checking out typical time anyways.  I would just notify the hotel that you won't actually be arriving until the morning and only need the room for a few hours.  They may be able to give you better rates or you might be able to find a better day use hotel option.

Obviously, it's much, much better to come in the day before the cruise and get on the ship rested, feeling better, and eliminating the risk that an airline IT failure, mechanical failure, or a weather glitch could make you miss your ship.

However, if you can't do that, and you can sleep on the plane, and feel up to it on the morning of the cruise, here's something we love.

Just a ten-minute cab ride from the Miami cruise terminal is South Beach. You can have the cab cross over from downtown Miami to South Beach on the McArthur Causeway, and on the right, you'll see your ship, and all the other ships at the cruise terminal, and on the left, you'll see Star Island and some of the most expensive waterfront mansions in Miami. It's a very beautiful sight. You might even see a seaplane land or take off in the canal next to the cruise ships, as the plane comes or goes from the Bahamas. 

It's a little pricey, and I'm biased because it's sentimental to me, but go to the Loews Miami Beach. It's right on the beach in South Beach. They have a beautiful outdoor terrace that overlooks their pool complex and the beach. Last time we were there you could order ala carte or they had a buffet. If the weather is nice, nothing will get you in the mood for your cruise better than a leisurely breakfast on that terrace. 

As a bonus, walk out the back of the hotel, turn left, and you'll be on the boardwalk that goes along the back of the all the hotels along the beach for a couple of miles for a pretty walk. If you turn right going out the back of the Loews, and go about 500 feet, you'll be in Lummus Park overlooking the ocean and beach. Lummus Park faces all the famous 1930's art deco hotels that make South Beach so unique and beautiful. 

Then when you're ready, take a cab back to the cruise terminal which is only a few minutes away. 

If you're whipped, maybe instead you'll want to try to find a day room at a hotel, but I don't know anything about that. 

20190423_155627.jpg

Edited by Squadleader
  • Like 1