Weather in Alaska in September

K D cruiser

We were on the Grand in Alaska out of SF last September on the last one of the season and we had near perfect weather.  We had no rain at all, which is pretty rare I guess.  It was extremely pleasant!  The only time I was cold was on our early morning excursion on the White Pass rail, but it warmed up once the sun rose and turned out to be a very nice day.  We had an incredible trip!  

The weather in Alaska can be anywhere from freezing cold to short wearing highs. Best thing to do is to take clothing that can be layered to provide warmth and dryness. Weather can change in a matter of hours so be prepared for anything. Mostly warm and wet but anything is possible.

A few years ago we took the last cruise up the Alaska. We had freezing weather a few mornings, there was fresh snow on the hills above Skagway. The train ride out of Skagway the trees were beautiful with the changing colors of the leaves. During the day it was nice, no rain just cold. Overall it was one of the nicest trips we've taken to Alaska.

• Like 1

We did a mid Sept cruise to Alaska many moons ago. We saw some rain in the afternoon in Juneau which put a dampener on the whale watching tour, but we just retired indoors and watched the whales out of the windows of the boat. There was some rain early morning upon our arrival at Skagway, but it cleared up in time for our heli hike later that morning. It was a little chilly on the scenic cruise, but we were right at the front of the ship in one of the wraparound balconies, but we hit the jackpot in Ketchikan where it was around 80F that day. 

We really couldn’t have hoped for a better mix of weather as the rest of the time it wasn’t too warm and it wasn’t too cold.

5 hours ago, K D cruiser said:

I'm thinking about booking a cruise in Alaska in September.  How cold might it get?  Any snow?  The last two cruises we took were in July and it was so warm, it didn't even feel like Alaska so I'd appreciate any information.

Weather in Alaska is like weather in Colorado.

Wait 10 minutes and it will change.

Alaska=layers layers layers.

We have had snow, freezing rain, warm temps and sunburn in July/August

In May/June have had snow and temps in the 70's.

September it poured rain.

• Like 1

I've done AK cruises in September twice so far. The first time it was damp, drizzly and chilly enough to need an extra layer under the waterproof hooded windbreaker each day. The 2nd time, last year, it was shirt-sleeve warm and nary a drop of rain the whole week.

I'll be going again this coming September, and will pack for any weather possibility!

Some great things about Alaska in September......we saw the Northern Lights off our balcony at midnight out of Skagway because it's so late in the season better chance to see it.  Our sailing was the LAST sailing that year by that ship the next week it was going to Hawaii so everything on board for Alaska was being sold at 30% off regular price so we bought lots of great stuff to bring home,  we could have not packed any cold weather clothes and purchased it all then,  and all shops on land were selling cheap to close for the season.  We had two nice warm sunny days to have pool time as well.

My sister and I did a 7-day RT cruise to Alaska from Vancouver in Sept. 2005 to celebrate her retirement.  Beautiful weather in Vancouver, not so much in Alaska.  Definitely rained in Juneau where we did whale watching in the rain.  Area around Margerie Glaicer in Glacier Bay was a muddy mess.  My DH and I have visited Glacier Bay in May several times and it's usually been pretty good weather with lots of snow on the hillsides around the Margerie Glacier--so much prettier.

The weather in Alaska is always unpredictable!!! Last May it rained and rained and rained (was in Copper Center) in middle of June the sun came out and it was hot hot hot  for the rest of June and all of July. Usually rainy in July. August was off and on rain and then I understand that Sept was nice. I had already left to go back to Az. You really cannot predict what Alaska will do weather wise. Like everyone else says LAYERS!! I would also add you will probably need gloves.

I have cruisedd to Alaska twice in September         once it was sunny and I never wore a jacket (it was 75 in Ketichian) and the next time it was cold and we had snow!

don't plan your trip around the weather. 

A number of years ago, I completed 2 seasons cruising to SE Alaska R/T from Vancouver. From memory, every week was different, some days were warm & sunny, but mostly cooler, with lots of rain and at least 1 good storm each year. Don't recall getting any snow.

We did Alaska the first week of September a few years ago and had everything from shorts weather (sunny and in the 80s) in Seattle and Victoria, rainy and chilly in Juneau and Sitka, sunshine in Ketchikan (really rare), to a beautiful sunny day in Glacier Bay that ran the gamut starting out with over-cast misty and light rain and multiple layers that we slowly peeled off to where we were in tshirts and jeans at Margery Glacier, then the closer and closer we got to Johns Hopkins Glacier the colder and colder it got to where we were bundled up in multiple layers again with ski jackets and rain pants pulled over top of jeans and long johns, gloves and beanies and still shivering and freezing our booties off. Pack for everything in September.