Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

CURRENT LISTING OF WINE/CHAMPAGNE FOR PURCHASE ON-BOARD CRYSTAL SERENITY

This is the current list of Wine and Champagne that can be purchased on-board Serenity which I thought might be of interest for some of you.

It does not include the inclusive wine/champagne.

WatersideWineList.pdf

Keith

Wow, that's a lot of DRC.  Going to have to talk to my TA about a more generous OBC stipend.... 

8 minutes ago, vistaman said:

i am curious : who will drink the La Romanée ? :classic_smile:

I would if it were on the inclusive list. 🙂

i cannot afford those however if i may choose :

probably the greatest "treasuries" are the Mouton 1982 and the Ch Latour 2000

The Meritage & Cabernet list is more my taste.  Why can't they be in the inclusive list.  🙂  

Thanks Keith, I just sent this to our friend who may be sailing with us in September.  He is a huge Del Dotto fan.  This may sway him!

4 hours ago, kent9xxx1 said:

The Meritage & Cabernet list is more my taste.  Why can't they be in the inclusive list.  🙂  

Oh now this is just silliness.  It amounts to "why can't Crystal price PS like the standard cabin I can afford?"  They're running a business, and probably work very hard at making price/value decisions every day.  Then, as consumers, we each make our own price/value decisions in response. YMMV, as they say on the internet.

4 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Oh now this is just silliness.  It amounts to "why can't Crystal price PS like the standard cabin I can afford?"  They're running a business, and probably work very hard at making price/value decisions every day.  Then, as consumers, we each make our own price/value decisions in response. YMMV, as they say on the internet.

Of course it is just wishful thinking.  Although I feel PS should have access to them.  The price they are paying is similar to Emirates F.  Last time, they were serving Opus One and Chateau Haute Brion.  Immediately before that, it was the Au Sommet by Heidi Barrett.  

If you are paying 20k for the PS, you better demand better wine than C collection cabernet.  That's all I'm saying. 

For the regular folks who pay $3-500/night, I certainly hope Crystal can up their game a little.  

4 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

The price they are paying is similar to Emirates F.  Last time, they were serving Opus One and Chateau Haute Brion.  Immediately before that, it was the Au Sommet by Heidi Barrett.  

As I mentioned in an earlier post the only reason airlines with first class cabins can afford to serve the calibre of wine that they do is because they are only serving it for about 10 hours not 10, 15 or even 86 days! 

I think Kent9xxx1 you may need to find another type of holiday that is more in line with your tastes - I personally can't think of anywhere on land or sea that will serve the calibre of wines you prefer gratis, if you find somewhere please let me know.

1 minute ago, ClefsDor said:

As I mentioned in an earlier post the only reason airlines with first class cabins can afford to serve the calibre of wine that they do is because they are only serving it for about 10 hours not 10, 15 or even 86 days! 

I think Kent9xxx1 you may need to find another type of holiday that is more in line with your tastes - I personally can't think of anywhere on land or sea that will serve the calibre of wines you prefer gratis, if you find somewhere please let me know.

Why is it gratis?  Even C collection isn't gratis.  You paid to be on there.  

Sorry, you are comparing someone who's stuck in a metal tube for 16 hours without anything to do but some movies & some wines vs someone who is on vacation and cannot be drunk because you still need to be able to walk and see things.  

I think I had more to drink in 4 segments on EK F than the entire week in crystal cruise.  

If you are perfectly content, then that's you.  I simply ask for more.  As for price point, EK F is still cheaper than Crystal PS.  Why can't PS guests demand for more?  Why are you so easily pleased?  

3 hours ago, kent9xxx1 said:

For the regular folks who pay $3-500/night, I certainly hope Crystal can up their game a little.  

Kent9,

Well, perhaps you can help me up my game a little (always love to expand my horizons.)

Which cruise line(s) have you sailed, at a per diem you find acceptable, that include wines you deem of sufficient quality?

And please, show your work, to include:

Cruise line

Last cruise

Category cabin you sailed

Per diem you paid

Included wines that met your standards

Also, please note:

Emirates is not a cruise line (their vehicles move, but above the water)

Peninsula hotels are not a cruise line (barring tectonic shifts, they don't move at all)

My purpose of posting this wine list is because I know from time-to-time people ask what wines are available for purchase.  I do want to note that the variety of wine available on board is fluid as sometimes they get in new varieties and sometime they run out of a variety.

Crystal does provide additional amenities in the PH, PS and CP and those additional amenities vary between those three categories.  I would just note that many people are satisfied with the wine that is inclusive and some do not drink wine or do not drink at all so while one person might want to see a higher priced wine provided to someone in a PS I would tell you that it would provide no value for many people.  

Anyway I hope this list is helpful to those who might want to get an idea as to what wines/champagne are available for purchase.  While many people do not purchase any we know some people who purchase a bottle when celebrating a special occasion.  We also know some people who purchase wine all the time and/or bring their own wine on board.  

Cheers,

Keith

6 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Kent9,

Well, perhaps you can help me up my game a little (always love to expand my horizons.)

Emirates is not a cruise line (their vehicles move, but above the water)

Peninsula hotels are not a cruise line (barring tectonic shifts, they don't move at all)

You still don´t get my point.  Currently there is no cruise line that has good inclusive wines.  

Before Emirates, there is no airlines that put any serious budget into wines except maybe Singapore or JAL.  All you need is someone to raise the game, then everyone else follow.  

Why can´t you ask for more?  Crystal shouldn´t improve and stay exactly where they are?  

Thank you, Keith.  You are always helpful and have given me good insight into our first Crystal cruise.  I was actually looking for a list like this.  

1 hour ago, kent9xxx1 said:

You still don´t get my point.  Currently there is no cruise line that has good inclusive wines.  

Before Emirates, there is no airlines that put any serious budget into wines except maybe Singapore or JAL.  All you need is someone to raise the game, then everyone else follow.  

Why can´t you ask for more?  Crystal shouldn´t improve and stay exactly where they are?  

I think most people get your point but your point is based on  a subjective view about wine.

I know plenty of people who are very happy with the inclusive wine that is served on board Crystal ships and given a choice of having those wines or paying more for their overall cruise fare I suspect that most people would say no need to increase the fares.

I have been sailing on board Serenity since late December and while I have heard some complaints about items (you do on every cruise) I have not heard anyone complaining about the inclusive wine so I think you are in the minority on your thinking.

Keith

3 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

I think most people get your point but your point is based on  a subjective view about wine.

I know plenty of people who are very happy with the inclusive wine that is served on board Crystal ships and given a choice of having those wines or paying more for their overall cruise fare I suspect that most people would say no need to increase the fares.

I have been sailing on board Serenity since late December and while I have heard some complaints about items (you do on every cruise) I have not heard anyone complaining about the inclusive wine so I think you are in the minority on your thinking.

Keith

Actually I heard a lot of complaints about the inclusive wines on board from a lot of guests.  Their solution is to just go for cocktails.  

Crystal has very good bartenders who went out of their way to please.  

Why do you think Emirates is going all out for their wines?  Why not just serve C collection to their passengers?  After all, it´s subjective.  I think if people pay a little bit more, and get much better wine, maybe they can even be happier.  Who knows.  The point is it can be improved.  I am sure Crystal can cut a deal with some wineries.  

1 hour ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Actually I heard a lot of complaints about the inclusive wines on board from a lot of guests.  Their solution is to just go for cocktails.  

Why do you think Emirates is going all out for their wines?  Why not just serve C collection to their passengers?  After all, it´s subjective.  I think if people pay a little bit more, and get much better wine, maybe they can even be happier.  Who knows.  The point is it can be improved.  I am sure Crystal can cut a deal with some wineries.  

Interesting.

I must run around with a different crowd because I don't hear complaints about the wine that is offered.  I do hear other complaints but not about wine. 

Crystal does cut deals with wineries and that is fact.  IMHO (so my opinion) this is why I have found them offering wine that is better than that offered by luxury lines we have sailed.  For example, on the last voyage we sailed on another luxury line three years ago they were serving Bogle. 

I am sure they will continue to cut deals and find wines that meet the price points that are in their budget while continuing to offer wines that appeal to the majority of the guests.  This can be done.  Price doesn't always equate to a better wine. 

Crystal has been creative offering wines that many of us recognize while offering wine that most people have not had before.  I continues to see many examples of this and that includes our current sailing.

You keep talking about Emirates but like most things you pay more on a flight with them and what they serve in First or Business Class is not the same as Coach. 

Given a choice of raising the cruise fare to offer high priced inclusive wines or keeping the fares as they are I suspect that most guests would say keep them where they are.  Again, one can bring on board their own wine or purchase wine if that is important to them.

Keith

6 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

and in the case of Emirates F, only to a maximum of 14 Pax (on an A380) or 8 pax (on a 777)!!!!  As someone who knows both Emirates and Crystal very well, I find this whole comparison of the wines served on one to the other quite laughable...Apart from them both being modes of transport, there's absolutely no comparison in the onboard product whatsoever!!!...

Anne...

4 hours ago, kent9xxx1 said:

...Because one of the things that most of us value is that Crystal DOESN'T differentiate every onboard aspect based on what you pay, the way Emirates (or almost any airline) does.  I don't want a cruise line that pours entirely different wines for 12 passengers in Waterside or the Palm Court than they do for the other 500.  I'm fine that certain passengers get subtle extras, but entirely different food and beverage menus is a bridge WAY too far for me.

Vince

I must agree with Vince in full. Different food  etc  is done on Cunard in different dining rooms   and on those companies with separate area's like on MSC NCL …

It must be said that in the luxury all inclusive segment Crystal maybe is serving the best complimentary wines  and i must agree with Keith concerning another company where the complimentary wines are extremely (very)  basic ( will not mention the name )

Crystal never was cheap with the wines and I wonder if all those big names are necessary on a cruiseship  - probably Crystal does have occasional clients for those +1000$ and more wines.  

On every wine list there is space for improvement - a better Meursault is maybe appropriate and a more pleasant Pouilly Fumé  

but as always : personal opinions.

Comparing a cruise ship with a plane is difficult( completely different) : Emirates is mentionned . For the moment a First class Brussels to Dubai does cost more as 10 times the fare in coach … 7 hours  around 5000€ (cheapest return) some  Dom Pérignon is maybe warranted:classic_smile:??

I simply think it is out of the question to serve better wines to PH and higher  on Crystal as all the passengers are served in the same restaurants. ( and not in different area's as on planes )

I find the standard wines, etc fine for us.  Some are better than what is in my normal fare.   Are they what I'd choose for a very special occasion - probably not but that is what the pay collection is for.

Can't make everyone happy - I remember when Crystal changed brand of catsup and sweetener or ice cream - boy were there long threads about the world ending with each of those announcements.  

13 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

You keep talking about Emirates but like most things you pay more on a flight with them and what they serve in First or Business Class is not the same as Coach. 

Keith

Is Crystal equivalent to coach?  

I think Crystal should be striving for first class status, not coach.  If they are going for the coach class, I commend them for being so outstanding.  

10 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

and in the case of Emirates F, only to a maximum of 14 Pax (on an A380) or 8 pax (on a 777)!!!!  As someone who knows both Emirates and Crystal very well, I find this whole comparison of the wines served on one to the other quite laughable...Apart from them both being modes of transport, there's absolutely no comparison in the onboard product whatsoever!!!...

Anne...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both are in the luxury travel market.  If you know both Emirates and Crystal very well, looks like you are kind of clientele they are going after.  Since when do business stop improving? They shouldn't look at another similar demographic and improve upon themselves?   

Why is it that you can't compare them?   Please tell me what cruise should be compared to.