MedallionNet experience

ccruzer123

12 hours ago, idahospud said:

FYI- we recently received an email pre-cruise about being able to keep or turn in our minutes. It had to be purchased onboard, though.

And yes, you will get lightning fast speed in the Caribbean.  My husband was streaming MLB games on the balcony with the door closed.

9C96D63C-A783-411D-9347-4D3569BE15D4.jpeg

Thanks for posting. When you click on "Learn More" for the unlimited package, how much are you quoted? For our November trip on the Regal, I'm seeing $US60 for the week, buying online pre-cruise, which they claim is "50% off" Can we assume that this offer means that when signing up on board, we would be paying $US45? Heck of a good deal if true.

11 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks for posting. When you click on "Learn More" for the unlimited package, how much are you quoted? For our November trip on the Regal, I'm seeing $US60 for the week, buying online pre-cruise, which they claim is "50% off" Can we assume that this offer means that when signing up on board, we would be paying $US45? Heck of a good deal if true.

Yep, you are correct. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Am on royal and the medallionnet speed is fast.  Almost 60 meg download for WiFi.  Only precaution is the connection is still on even if you turn off WiFi and phone.  Be sure to log off or your minutes will be gone fast.  Lots of pax had to request a one time get my minutes back.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:46 AM, lx200gps said:

On 8/29/2019 at 10:58 AM, idahospud said:

Yep, you are correct. 

I just noticed these postings because Post #53 reactivated this thread.  I will repeat my new Internet Rule for Princess in a minute, but first you will not be getting that $60 pre-cruise package for $45 on-board.  The "50% off" claim is at least somewhat marketing hype because it doesn't compare apples to apples.  If you are on board and were to purchase the unlimited internet on a PER DAY basis, an individual day apparently costs $20.  They are offering a full-cruise package price and you can also book that on board.  You are not saving anywhere near 50% by pre-purchasing if comparing package price to package price.

Okay, now here comes the Rule:

If you are cruising and do not have Captain's Circle Platinum/Elite status, then you should order the internet package via Cruise Personalizer for the best price.  This is because the package price will be higher on board Day 1 (embarkation). 

If you do have Platinum/Elite status, then do not pre-order internet.  Order it on board upon embarkation because you will receive 25% of the on-board price in lieu of using free minutes. 

The 25% discount off the higher on board price always results in a lower price than what is offered in Cruise Personalizer.

This means Princess isn't really giving Captain's Circle eligible members full 25% value.  The net price after discount is typically about 10% off the pre-cruise package.  I have NO IDEA why we do not get 25% off the pre-cruise pricing.  (I only mention this because I was informed we get a 25% discount benefit in lieu of free minutes, but the real value is only about 10% in most cases considering anyone can book at the Cruise Personalizer price point).

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2019 at 7:52 PM, Thrak said:

Isn't that $59 per day? No way will I pay that for Internet access. I'm glad it's worth it for some but, even with the crummy Internet access Princess is famous for neither of us has used all of our free minutes on our last 3 cruises (14 day, 7 day, and 19 day). On a 28 day cruise not too long ago we had plenty of minutes to satisfy our needs. I may spend hours online at home but, on a cruise, I can do fine without constant access.

The cost on the recent 16 day TA on the Regal was $109.99 with a $27.50 refund (25% discount) and the speed was great once I discovered that my Kaspersky security problem was causing severe slow-down problems and solved that problem.

Tom

2 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

The cost on the recent 16 day TA on the Regal was $109.99 with a $27.50 refund (25% discount) and the speed was great once I discovered that my Kaspersky security problem was causing severe slow-down problems and solved that problem.

Tom

Yes, it was an obvious error and was 5 months ago...

• Like 1

If you have not seen this video check it out. It explains why speeds are what they are depending on where you are in a way that is easy to understand. I was on the Grand in May and streamed the final episode of GoT. While they claimed at the time they were not Medallion.net yet. I suspect they were testing it out. I was Facebooking in Yakutat bay which is clearly north in the geo satellite system. Those complaining of the Alaska coverage on the Royal I beleive are expecting more than is physically possible that far north. 

From the CCL Corp stockbrokers conference call:

Also, we are beginning to see a lift in ticket price from our MedallionClass as we ramp up our marketing efforts in that trade and as we continue to expand Medallion throughout the Princess fleet.

6 hours ago, #1Nanna said:

I am wondering if I can use FaceTime with medallion net and not be charged additional roaming ?

Every time I have used the Internet on a Princess ship, the connection is via HQ in California. So any application you use should think you are in California, not at sea somewhere.

On 4/25/2019 at 6:50 AM, Ferd Berfle said:

It's the same speed whether you buy the package or use your perk minutes.  Buy onboard if you are Platinum/Elite to get a 25% discount and/or use OBC, but ...  The Voyage package is quoted at $9.99 per day for the whole voyage or $15.99 per day when bought by the day onboard.   

Our 28 dayer is quoting $129.99 for the whole voyage package when purchased ahead of time - so it's still about 50% off when buying ahead online.  Therefore on a longer cruise your perk 25% off may not be as good as the 50% off ahead of time.    We did note they stopped selling online about a week before sailing. 

On the 7 dayer, it was $7.54 less to buy onboard with Platinum/Elite 25% off the 7 times $9.99 per day whole voyage rate.  $59.99 versus $52.45 (forgive the roundings).

Streaming TV worked fine and I found no WiFi dead spots on the Royal March 23rd - April 6th this year.  The service is based on middle orbit satellites, Google "O3b" 

To quote Colo - it is very cool not to have to worry about logging off.  I even got a travel router for the cabin to allow Kindles and multiple devices to share an uplink. 

Your name will be mud on here. Some say that's stealing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2019 at 9:08 PM, Thrak said:

Several people on our roll call for November 4 TA from Barcelona have already purchased the new plans. Many others (myself included) don't even see the option available. All we see in the personalizer is the ship-t0-shore calling - 10 minutes for $49.50. One person who doesn't see the Internet packages called Princess and was told it's not available yet. Weird since several have actually purchased it via the personalizer.

I thought I saw it on my personalizer..let me take a look again.

Ok, here is what's on my personalizer:

All prices include account activation fee. All prices are subject to change without notice. No other onboard bonuses are applicable.

Couple sitting on a couch looking at tablet

Multi-Device MedallionNet Voyage Package$14.99 4 devices, per day

Save 50% when you purchase pre-cruise! Enjoy an unlimited internet voyage package for as low as $14.99 per day.

Stay connected like never before with the best Wi-Fi at sea. From email to streaming, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access! Package provides connectivity for up to four devices at a time.

*All Internet usage subject to Princess Cruises' standard policies, which may limit browsing of sites due to network security and bandwidth usage. Applications that use high bandwidth may be blocked and offerings subject to change.

Select
Couple sitting on a couch looking at tablet

MedallionNet Voyage Package – Save Over 50% Pre-Cruise!$99.99

Purchase an unlimited internet voyage package for as low as $9.99/day and save over 50%!

Stay connected like never before with the best Wi-Fi at sea. From email to streaming, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access!

*All Internet usage subject to Princess Cruises' standard policies, which may limit browsing of sites due to network security and bandwidth usage. Applications that use high bandwidth may be blocked and offerings 

Edited by suzyed

Is it feasible to use the Elite "free" minutes first and then purchase a package?  Does that make sense?  If one purchases the $99 voyage package, I'm assuming that is just for just one device? 
Very confusing.

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Is it feasible to use the Elite "free" minutes first and then purchase a {Medallion net} package?  Does that make sense?  If one purchases the $99 voyage package, I'm assuming that is just for just one device? 
Very confusing.

You could, but once the voyage has begun and you come back to do that on Day 3 or 4 or whatever, the package price is gone.  It seems the per-day price at that point is $20.  IDK if you can get a "rest-of-the-cruise" price for less.  You might have to ask the Internet Cafe Mgr.  If there is an offer it should show up when you login into the ship's INTRAnet. 

Seems like most elite members are using their elite minutes to reduce the price of the internet package for the cruise. So pre-purchasing for them does not make sense;  just wait till you board and go to internet cafe and set things up

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Seems like most elite members are using their elite minutes to reduce the price of the internet package for the cruise. So pre-purchasing for them does not make sense;  just wait till you board and go to internet cafe and set things up

As I understand, this has to be done on the first day.

My understanding is that we had to purchase the cruise-long package the first day. I'm currently on the Crown's transatlantic cruise. The internet has been horrible. I plan to ask for a refund. The internet manager has promised it will get better tomorrow--for the last four days. If so, I'll ask for a 75 percent refund for the 12 days of horrible connection we had. I started another thread that details it;  download speeds have averaged under 2 Mbps.

• Haha 1

We have 2 upcoming cruises, and the option to purchase a medallion voyage package for $8.99/d on a 3 day cruise, or $14.99 for up to 4 devices. For the 7 day, only the multidevice plan shows up for some reason. Can the multidevice plan be shared by occupants of the same cabin?  I'd rather get the multidevice plan to share with my wife, instead of 2 separate plans

Thanks