MedallionNet experience

ccruzer123

4 minutes ago, dogdoc2002 said:

We have 2 upcoming cruises, and the option to purchase a medallion voyage package for $8.99/d on a 3 day cruise, or $14.99 for up to 4 devices. For the 7 day, only the multidevice plan shows up for some reason. Can the multidevice plan be shared by occupants of the same cabin?  I'd rather get the multidevice plan to share with my wife, instead of 2 separate plans

Thanks

Interested in this answer but assumed if you got a plan for 4 devices it would be shared.

37 minutes ago, dogdoc2002 said:

We have 2 upcoming cruises, and the option to purchase a medallion voyage package for $8.99/d on a 3 day cruise, or $14.99 for up to 4 devices. For the 7 day, only the multidevice plan shows up for some reason. Can the multidevice plan be shared by occupants of the same cabin?  I'd rather get the multidevice plan to share with my wife, instead of 2 separate plans

Thanks

It seems when booking B2B's as one, Princess doesn't have the full cruise single device pricing for the Cruise Personalizer.  Based on your wording, I presume you booked these separately, so I am a bit puzzled.  There will be a full-cruise package for the 7-nighter.  You can share the single plan with multiple devices - be they your own or perhaps one is your travel partner.  You would be sharing the login credentials and only once device can be connected at a time.  When connecting a new device, the system recognizes another one is logged in and asks you to confirm knocking it off and going ahead.  You may find the 4 device plan more costly than two single plans (it might the same price on some voyages).  But, a multi-device plan can be shared by up to four people (or at least four people can be logged in simultaneously.  They don't even have to be in the same cabin as the person who books the plan has the login credentials and up to them with whom to share.  

You can call and ask Princess about single device rate, but you may need to wait until on board.  I have posted Princess price list before.  Your 7-night voyage single device plan should be $60 pre-cruise (Personalizer) and $70 on board (embarkation day only).  If you have Platinum/Elite status, you should wait and book on board in any case as you can get 25% off the on board price ($52.50), which is better than pre-order price.

Edited by steelers36

14 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

It seems when booking B2B's as one, Princess doesn't have the full cruise single device pricing for the Cruise Personalizer.  Based on your wording, I presume you booked these separately, so I am a bit puzzled.  There will be a full-cruise package for the 7-nighter.  You can share the single plan with multiple devices - be they your own or perhaps one is your travel partner.  You would be sharing the login credentials and only once device can be connected at a time.  When connecting a new device, the system recognizes another one is logged in and asks you to confirm knocking it off and going ahead.  You may find the 4 device plan more costly than two single plans (it might the same price on some voyages).  But, a multi-device plan can be shared by up to four people (or at least four people can be logged in simultaneously.  They don't even have to be in the same cabin as the person who books the plan has the login credentials and up to them with whom to share.  

You can call and ask Princess about single device rate, but you may need to wait until on board.  I have posted Princess price list before.  Your 7-night voyage single device plan should be $60 pre-cruise (Personalizer) and $70 on board (embarkation day only).  If you have Platinum/Elite status, you should wait and book on board in any case as you can get 25% off the on board price ($52.50), which is better than pre-order price.

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. When I logged back in again, it lists both options on the 7 day cruise- but the single device plan is listed with the total price ($59.99), which comes out to $9.99/day ($1 more a day for some reason), but lists the multidevice plan at the daily rate. Weird

And we do have back to back cruises, booked separately  months apart and 2 different travel agents. The did get linked in the system somehow so they wouldn't move our cabin (have the same cabin on both voyages) and the Ocean Medallion app lists the trip as a continuous date range with 2 booking numbers.  It's our first back to back, so we're not sure how it's working behind the scenes

5 minutes ago, dogdoc2002 said:

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. When I logged back in again, it lists both options on the 7 day cruise- but the single device plan is listed with the total price ($59.99), which comes out to $9.99/day ($1 more a day for some reason), but lists the multidevice plan at the daily rate. Weird

And we do have back to back cruises, booked separately  months apart and 2 different travel agents. The did get linked in the system somehow so they wouldn't move our cabin (have the same cabin on both voyages) and the Ocean Medallion app lists the trip as a continuous date range with 2 booking numbers.  It's our first back to back, so we're not sure how it's working behind the scenes

The 4-device plan is always quoted on a per-day basis.  That is why it can be shown in the Personalizer for any type of booking.  For some reason, Princess has not got the program coding or flexibility to always show the single device plans for B2B type voyages (I am basing this on several posts here on Cruise Critic reporting similar situation as you).

You chose to divide the single device plan by 6 to get $10/day.  Your voyage is actually considered 7 days.  Therefore, $60/7 is the per day price ($8.57).

One more question....If one of the occupants gets the 4 device plan and gets it at a discount for turning in their Plat/Elite minutes, can the other occupant keep the free Plat/Elite regular minutes?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steelers36 said:

The 4-device plan is always quoted on a per-day basis.  That is why it can be shown in the Personalizer for any type of booking.  For some reason, Princess has not got the program coding or flexibility to always show the single device plans for B2B type voyages (I am basing this on several posts here on Cruise Critic reporting similar situation as you).

You chose to divide the single device plan by 6 to get $10/day.  Your voyage is actually considered 7 days.  Therefore, $60/7 is the per day price ($8.57).

Actually, it's the numbers that Princess themselves put up in the descriptions; I hadn't bothered to do the actual calculations 
Thanks again for your help though 🙂

15 hours ago, suzyed said:

One more question....If one of the occupants gets the 4 device plan and gets it at a discount for turning in their Plat/Elite minutes, can the other occupant keep the free Plat/Elite regular minutes?

Yes.

But if you can use one of the unlimited ones of the 4 devices plan, why worry about using your minutes?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Yes.

But if you can use one of the unlimited ones of the 4 devices plan, why worry about using your minutes?

Not worried, Bill, just wondering. 😉   If Chuck is working on the laptop and I want to do something on my phone, it would be nice to be able to using my minutes since I hear you can only use one device at a time even on the 4 devices plan.

Edited by suzyed

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

since I hear you can only use one device at a time even on the 4 devices plan.

not the way I understand it from posters here ...but ... we've never purchased a plan at all ... never ...

not since free minutes , which is more than enough for us now ...  and seriously, I don't even remember even purchasing one before that ... but we may have, dunno

3 hours ago, suzyed said:

Not worried, Bill, just wondering. 😉   If Chuck is working on the laptop and I want to do something on my phone, it would be nice to be able to using my minutes since I hear you can only use one device at a time even on the 4 devices plan.

NO.  If what you posted were true, it would invalidate such a thing as the 4 device plan.  It means what it says - up to 4 devices can be connected at once.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 1:07 AM, chinita415 said:

Maritime Net or something. I messed up and roamed $18 for 4 mins. Doh. Had paid for $5 a day roaming in Mexico and didn't turn on airplane mode again when we boarded. I caught the error soon though. 

I think Cellular At Sea / Maritime is not available on Medallion ships.  Last week I asked this question six times to six Princess reps, and got various answers.  (Apparently, customer service training isn't Princess' strong suit.)  We've relied on cellular for past cruises, and if we find out it's gone, so are we.  We have two weeks before final payment, so I hope to get some true answer by then.

On 10/7/2019 at 6:28 AM, suzyed said:

Susan,

You can be logged in at up to 4 devices simultaneously.  You only log in once at each device, and you do not need to log out.  Pat and I both had our cell phones logged in, and one of our travel companions had a problem printing their boarding passes on the last day, so I went to the Internet Cafe with them, logged in to one of the terminals there.  That was our third device logged in.

The speed was also fantastic for us, on a Ft Laud to Quebec City cruise.

Stan

I have posted before about Medallion Net pricing plans, including the Platinum/Elite discount.  While it is still best - barely in some cases - to wait until on board and book to get a CC Member status benefit, Princess has effectively devalued this benefit for most cruises to 10% or much less.  A while back, I thought I had received a full price list with all categories from Princess HQ.  But something was off based on Colo Cruiser's current trip on CROWN.  I called in today and here is a more complete price list.  Note that for the 8-10 night range and the 11-12 night range, the ON-BOARD price changes with the number of nights, but the PRE-CRUISE price remains the same.  The effect is that the savings for 10 nights is only $6.25 and no savings at all for a 12 night cruise.

Here is the updated chart for the single device plan:

CRUISE LENGTH PRE_CRUISE PERSONALIZER ON BOARD PRICE (Day 1)
(nights) List Price Member Discount On Board Price Member Discount Price
<7 $45.00 n/a $55.00 $41.25
7 $60.00 n/a $70.00 $52.50
8 $70.00 n/a $75.00 $56.25
9 $70.00 n/a $80.00 $60.00
10 $70.00 n/a $85.00 $63.75
11 $75.00 n/a $90.00 $67.50
12 $75.00 n/a $100.00 $75.00
14 $100.00 n/a $120.00 $90.00
15 - 30 $130.00 n/a $150.00 $112.50
31+ $180.00 n/a $200.00 $150.00

On 10/21/2019 at 12:41 PM, steelers36 said:

Here is the updated chart for the single device plan:

CRUISE LENGTH PRE_CRUISE PERSONALIZER ON BOARD PRICE (Day 1)
(nights) List Price Member Discount On Board Price Member Discount Price
<7 $45.00 n/a $55.00 $41.25
7 $60.00 n/a $70.00 $52.50
8 $70.00 n/a $75.00 $56.25
9 $70.00 n/a $80.00 $60.00
10 $70.00 n/a $85.00 $63.75
11 $75.00 n/a $90.00 $67.50
12 $75.00 n/a $100.00 $75.00
14 $100.00 n/a $120.00 $90.00
15 - 30 $130.00 n/a $150.00 $112.50
31+ $180.00 n/a $200.00 $150.00

With cruises that have the promised MedallionNet performance, many people can make due with the platinum/elite benefit minutes and not have to purchase any of these plans.

22 minutes ago, caribill said:

With cruises that have the promised MedallionNet performance, many people can make due with the platinum/elite benefit minutes and not have to purchase any of these plans.

Can't argue with that but I know from past experience that it isn't enough for me.  Our next cruise my wife is going to use her 250 and I will get the package.

On 9/26/2019 at 8:57 PM, steelers36 said:

Okay, now here comes the Rule:

If you are cruising and do not have Captain's Circle Platinum/Elite status, then you should order the internet package via Cruise Personalizer for the best price.  This is because the package price will be higher on board Day 1 (embarkation). 

If you do have Platinum/Elite status, then do not pre-order internet.  Order it on board upon embarkation because you will receive 25% of the on-board price in lieu of using free minutes. 

The 25% discount off the higher on board price always results in a lower price than what is offered in Cruise Personalizer.

This means Princess isn't really giving Captain's Circle eligible members full 25% value.  The net price after discount is typically about 10% off the pre-cruise package.  I have NO IDEA why we do not get 25% off the pre-cruise pricing.  (I only mention this because I was informed we get a 25% discount benefit in lieu of free minutes, but the real value is only about 10% in most cases considering anyone can book at the Cruise Personalizer price point).

So this is when 25% is not 25%!  Typical marketing hype!  Princess should be above this, especially to loay cruisers.  Seems like this is a group to cater to not P___ off!

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2019 at 8:47 PM, steelers36 said:

Can't argue with that but I know from past experience that it isn't enough for me.  Our next cruise my wife is going to use her 250 and I will get the package.

Have you done this yet?  This is exactly what my DH and I plan to do on the Grand next month.  I was wondering that if he purchased the unlimited package pre-cruise, if I could use his 250 minutes.  If I can't use his minutes, should he wait till Day 1 to buy package at slight discount?

Edited by dyxiegirl

32 minutes ago, dyxiegirl said:

Have you done this yet?  This is exactly what my DH and I plan to do on the Grand next month.  I was wondering that if he purchased the unlimited package pre-cruise, if I could use his 250 minutes.  If I can't use his minutes, should he wait till Day 1 to buy package at slight discount?

That's a long time back.  If I was writing about our Nov cruise, things changed.  We got a 4-device package and shared among the four of us. 

I am gathering from your note that he is Platinum or Elite and you are not.  If he gets the package on board at a discount (best to wait until then for best price), then he is exchanging his minutes for the 25% discount.  You cannot have both free limited minutes and the discount. 

Either you get your own package (for you best to order in Personalizer), or you can use his login, but only one of you can be online at any one time.

• 5 weeks later...

When Princess was doing trials of Medallion net   a year or so ago it was awesome.  Nearly like being at home and they gave unlimited internet to its elite passengers during the trials.   That was then,  this is now.

I am currently aboard Royal Princess on a quick 4 day Catalina cruise.  The Medallion net is virtually useless.  Many disconnects,  speed tests typically well under 1Mbit download,  and a respectable 6-8 Mbit up on multiple devices in multiple locations around the ship.  This would indicate Princess has not purchased enough bandwidth to support the over 3,000 devices connected to the network.
On top of that the “Internet Manager” is absolutely useless,  and any dialogue about the situation with the purser desk is a futile.

I am self employed and the ability to stay in touch and support clients is critical and is what has allowed me to cruise frequently.  And I don’t mind paying for premium services.  The previous time metered internet service was much better.

2 days into the cruise an the situation has not improved.  It is very frustrating an unless something is done,  would render medallion net a failure and will seriously impact my ability to continue cruising Princess.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scotcro said:

When Princess was doing trials of Medallion net   a year or so ago it was awesome.  Nearly like being at home and they gave unlimited internet to its elite passengers during the trials.   That was then,  this is now.

I am currently aboard Royal Princess on a quick 4 day Catalina cruise.  The Medallion net is virtually useless.  Many disconnects,  speed tests typically well under 1Mbit download,  and a respectable 6-8 Mbit up on multiple devices in multiple locations around the ship.  This would indicate Princess has not purchased enough bandwidth to support the over 3,000 devices connected to the network.
On top of that the “Internet Manager” is absolutely useless,  and any dialogue about the situation with the purser desk is a futile.

I am self employed and the ability to stay in touch and support clients is critical and is what has allowed me to cruise frequently.  And I don’t mind paying for premium services.  The previous time metered internet service was much better.

2 days into the cruise an the situation has not improved.  It is very frustrating an unless something is done,  would render medallion net a failure and will seriously impact my ability to continue cruising Princess.

Thats not good...........thanks for the update.

Apparently if you cruise Ruby Princess to Australia the MedallionNet Internet service is totally awesome. If you then cruise around Australia/New Zealand on the same ship the service remains amazing. If you then switch to Majestic Princess and continue to cruise in the same area the service is beyond abominable. Princess really needs to get their act together if they are going to charge for this service and advertise it as "the best Internet at sea".

• Like 1