Cruise Critic Community
jordanaire

Soot everywhere on rear of Allure!

We just returned from the April 7th sailing of the Allure. While on the ship, we went to play putt putt one morning. One of our family members didn't want to play, so she sat down on one of the benches alongside of the course. When she stood up to leave, the bottom of her first-time-ever worn slacks were covered in soot from the smokestacks! We even had it on our hands from the golf clubs. I took my finger and swiped every bench and found them covered with soot. After she changed her slacks, she showed them to her cabin steward, who took them to his supervisor. She was told that the slacks would be cleaned, free of charge, and returned to her by the end of the day. Well, the cleaning didn't work and the slacks were ruined. The rep at Guest Services said there was nothing else that they could (or would) do. So be alert when it comes to sitting on any chair or bench on the rear of the ship. This goes for the seating at the Ocean Aria theater as well. We found soot there as well.

Thanks for sharing the information. We had something similar when we had an aft balcony. At least the cabin steward warned us and he brought extra towels to put on the outside furniture.

Circumstantial Mother Nature situation of  wind direction and direction of ship . 

As much as we have cruised and having aft cabins many times, we have never experienced this situation . 

4 minutes ago, ssb said:

Circumstantial Mother Nature situation of  wind direction and direction of ship . 

As much as we have cruised and having aft cabins many times, we have never experienced this situation . 

Good to know I have aft cabins on my next cruises.

To OP: So sorry this happened to you! Hope that bad experience didn't affect the rest of your cruise. We've sailed numerous times on Oasis class and in aft cabins on other class ships and have never seen soot anywhere, though I'm aware of the potential and have read of others who've experienced it. It sounds like what ssb said - basically bad luck.  We were supposed to be on the April 7 sailing of the Oasis, so at least you got to go on your cruise! 😉

We had the same thing happen on the Allure in December. We attended the aqua show and my white shorts were spotted with black soot from the seat. Fortunately the laundry service was successful and all the stains were removed. We made a point of taking a towel to sit on for future events in the aqua theatre.   

That happened to us on Harmony a couple of years ago -- they attempted to wash everything and those items that did not come clean, they reimbursed us for!

Posted (edited)

Hit and miss, 30yrs on Cruises and only once a minor issue. And I do weeks in Aft cabins every yr. Salt build up on furnishings bigger issue for me. Like was said wind, ship movement/engines, happens at times. Like driving an older Diesel truck at times...

Edited by ONECRUISER

According to posts a few months ago, it happens because of cleaning the boilers. If there is a crosswind, soot and ash will blow out to sea, but in a headwind some may fall on the aft decks. Sometimes the captain will have the ship turned across the wind at the strategic time, but that's not always feasible.

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2019 at 1:36 PM, TBone2K said:

Thanks for sharing the information. We had something similar when we had an aft balcony. At least the cabin steward warned us and he brought extra towels to put on the outside furniture.

I’m laughing because we too just had aft on symphony and on our 2nd day the chairs were neatly covered with pool towels and I though how thoughtful of our room attendant..... now I get it!  Our deck was washed a few times too.  It was always when we were out.  I would not let this negatively impact ones decision to book aft.  

I would on the other hand be sure to bring towels to sit at the aqua theatre show.  Good advice 😀

Edited by Zendeck

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2019 at 7:35 PM, kochleffel said:

According to posts a few months ago, it happens because of cleaning the boilers. If there is a crosswind, soot and ash will blow out to sea, but in a headwind some may fall on the aft decks. Sometimes the captain will have the ship turned across the wind at the strategic time, but that's not always feasible.

Not just the boilers, the turbochargers on the diesel engines get cleaned nightly as well, sending soot aloft.  And, since this typically takes place at 2 am, the Captain has little to do with the decision, it is a discussion between the duty engineer and the bridge officer on watch.

Edited by chengkp75

Posted (edited)

I have also heard from a crewmember on Brilliance that, during certain wind conditions, the open design on the back of the Oasis Class ships cause a downward vortex from the stacks that drag the soot on to everything.

Edited by johnjen

16 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not just the boilers, the turbochargers on the diesel engines get cleaned nightly as well, sending soot aloft.  And, since this typically takes place at 2 am, the Captain has little to do with the decision, it is a discussion between the duty engineer and the bridge officer on watch.

On Navy ships, the word was passed on the 1MC "setting the safeties" which meant they were cleaning the stacks. One evening I watched this event on my first ship USS Forrestal. I thought the stack was going to explode!