Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sofietucker

HAL farewell cruises for ships leaving fleet

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Has anyone sailed the last voyage of another HAL ship as it left the fleet? What do you remember about the number of fancy evenings, types of events, etc.?

We'll be on the Prinsendam for her final cruise in June (14 days in Norway); have sailed on her 2x before and will greatly miss the ship! Looks like several previous captains will be on the cruise with us, and there will be all kinds of celebrations! We're wondering about the festivities, specifically about the expected number of formal/gala nights. I will pack my waterproof mascara 😉, and my little black dress will be especially appropriate, but don't want to wear it more than a couple of times...While HAL site says 2 formal nights for up to 20 days, we've had 3 on a 12-day Prinsendam cruise... And should we plan to wear our medallions? Thanks!

Edited by sofietucker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Statendam farewell, there was an auction for the ship's port plaques (first time of calling). I wound up with two (Guatemala and St. Malo) at slight expense, but the ones for popular ports where cruisers live, like Seattle or Victoria, got some quite frenzied bidding. It was a silent auction on the Lido deck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

On the Statendam farewell, there was an auction for the ship's port plaques (first time of calling). I wound up with two (Guatemala and St. Malo) at slight expense, but the ones for popular ports where cruisers live, like Seattle or Victoria, got some quite frenzied bidding. It was a silent auction on the Lido deck.

 

How nice! I always try to find those plaques to see which ports I "know." Some are very pretty. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I do not live in a port city, I didn't try for one of the popular ones. I bid on five and got two. I could not stay for the end as the auction ended at the same time trivia began, but I heard that people were still writing bids on the sheets for the popular ports as the crew was trying to gather them up.

 

When we left Seattle, where the final voyage began, many HAL employees gathered on the pier to wave goodbye and there were tugs spraying water in the air (not at us) as the ship's horn was sounded in long blasts as a farewell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sir PMP said:

Cpt Gunderson will most likely be there...

 

 

You just might be right on that one since there will be a stop in Bergen, his home town

HAL Captain Hale Thon Gundersen (Retired 05 JAN 13) #2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She was a great ship. I did the 14 day Alaska itinerary on her shortly before she left the fleet. The ship performed flawlessly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have made it a point to hunt down the various plaques on all the ships we have sailed on.  Some are very unusual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Since I do not live in a port city, I didn't try for one of the popular ones. I bid on five and got two. I could not stay for the end as the auction ended at the same time trivia began, but I heard that people were still writing bids on the sheets for the popular ports as the crew was trying to gather them up.

 

When we left Seattle, where the final voyage began, many HAL employees gathered on the pier to wave goodbye and there were tugs spraying water in the air (not at us) as the ship's horn was sounded in long blasts as a farewell. 

 

I was there, too.  Andrea Bocelli's Time to Say Goodbye was being played over the P.A.   My eyes were moist during this farewell.  Our cruise to Singapore was nothing short of being a great one!  HAL went all out  to make this cruise a memorable one for us.  (And, this was at a time when CC posters were discussing what they saw as new cutbacks.)  I disembarked the Statendam with the feeling that I had experienced the HAL cruise experience when I first began cruising.

 

As to more gala nights than usual, I don't recall anything out of the ordinary.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I participated in the port plaque auction.  I placed what I thought was a reasonable bid for a small port's plaque at 11:59 A. M. with the closing time for bids at Noon.  I was out-bid even at that late time!  It was an interesting experience in which to participate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny that you should bring this up.

 

We'll be on the 'Farewell' Prinsendam cruise for the month of June..

It's our favorite HAL ship actually & enjoyed the company of both "master's"  Capt. Turner & Capt. Gunderson.   

 

Since it's such a port intensive itinerary it's difficult to see when an appropriate farewell night might occur.

I just envisioned a final awesome dinner, a 'clean out' of the wine cellar and a last 'Gala' night with toasts, memories and, perhaps, some tears shed.

 

It appears from prior posts thus far that such farewells are not to be had. And so it goes...

 

BTW, we were great fans & past cruisers of both the Ryndam & Statendam. RIP.

 

Be well & safe travels to all.

Bob

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sofietucker said:

Has anyone sailed the last voyage of another HAL ship as it left the fleet? What do you remember about the number of fancy evenings, types of events, etc.?

We'll be on the Prinsendam for her final cruise in June (14 days in Norway); have sailed on her 2x before and will greatly miss the ship! Looks like several previous captains will be on the cruise with us, and there will be all kinds of celebrations! We're wondering about the festivities, specifically about the expected number of formal/gala nights. I will pack my waterproof mascara 😉, and my little black dress will be especially appropriate, but don't want to wear it more than a couple of times...While HAL site says 2 formal nights for up to 20 days, we've had 3 on a 12-day Prinsendam cruise... And should we plan to wear our medallions? Thanks!

Mourning is usually worn without shiny things, but under the circumstances, medallions for a tribute sound quite appropriate.

 

I hope they have the details of any celebrations in the Docs.  We’re about a week away from them, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

On the Statendam farewell, there was an auction for the ship's port plaques (first time of calling). I wound up with two (Guatemala and St. Malo) at slight expense, but the ones for popular ports where cruisers live, like Seattle or Victoria, got some quite frenzied bidding. It was a silent auction on the Lido deck.

Ooooh, that auction sounds like fun.  I love the Prinsendam and wish I was on her final voyage.  Waaaaah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Ooooh, that auction sounds like fun.  I love the Prinsendam and wish I was on her final voyage.  Waaaaah.

 

I was unable to go on the Prinsendam final voyage due to my elder nephew's high school graduation.

 

Here are my two port plaques, paid for with $34 of OBC. I would not expect many of the Prinsendam ones to go cheap.1742926442_statendamplaques.thumb.jpeg.e5f8b43cff6914c27ac7bb2a7a2330b5.jpeg

 

 

 

Edited by Wehwalt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

On the Statendam farewell, there was an auction for the ship's port plaques (first time of calling). I wound up with two (Guatemala and St. Malo) at slight expense, but the ones for popular ports where cruisers live, like Seattle or Victoria, got some quite frenzied bidding. It was a silent auction on the Lido deck.

 

 

Just a heads up for the Prinsendam's final cruise.

 

My understanding is that there will not be an auction as the ship was sold with contents.

 

The exception was some of the models and all of the Stephen Card paintings thankfully.  They remain with HAL. 

 

Not sure what the other exceptions are but generally speaking contents are included.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would expect few if any of the port plaques to stay with the ship.  Phonex-Reisen will be collecting many of it's own and need space to put them.  They will want many of the memorabilia but that will nearly certainly be one of the exceptions.

 

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I would expect few if any of the port plaques to stay with the ship.  Phonex-Reisen will be collecting many of it's own and need space to put them.  They will want many of the memorabilia but that will nearly certainly be one of the exceptions.

 

Roy

 

9 hours ago, kazu said:

 

 

Just a heads up for the Prinsendam's final cruise.

 

My understanding is that there will not be an auction as the ship was sold with contents.

 

The exception was some of the models and all of the Stephen Card paintings thankfully.  They remain with HAL. 

 

Not sure what the other exceptions are but generally speaking contents are included.

 

 

 

Roy's thinking sounds reasonable to me.  The port plaques are ship specific.  Why would the new Company have any use for them?  When I was aboard Prinsendam, I don't recall seeing any port plaques from the years when she sailed as Royal Viking Sun or when she sailed under the Seabourn flag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I would expect few if any of the port plaques to stay with the ship.  Phonex-Reisen will be collecting many of it's own and need space to put them.  They will want many of the memorabilia but that will nearly certainly be one of the exceptions.

 

Roy

 

 

Yup; Phoenix Reisen want's their own "first visit plagues" for Amera. Those Prinsendam's plagues will be taken down and removed from the ship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

 

 

Yup; Phoenix Reisen want's their own "first visit plagues" for Amera. Those Prinsendam's plagues will be taken down and removed from the ship

 

If they are not sold during her final voyage.  If my memory is correct, we were told that the funds raised from the sale of Statendam's plaques would be donated to a charity that HAL supports.  Maybe in Asia?  I don't recall which charity.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

If they are not sold during her final voyage.  If my memory is correct, we were told that the funds raised from the sale of Statendam's plaques would be donated to a charity that HAL supports.  Maybe in Asia?  I don't recall which charity.  

 

 

Have not heard that one before but could very well be the case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just for all PRINSENDAM fans, the MS Almera, aka Prinsendam is doing a 99 day circle S.America, on January 6, 2020, Monaco to Monaco...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

And just for all PRINSENDAM fans, the MS Almera, aka Prinsendam is doing a 99 day circle S.America, on January 6, 2020, Monaco to Monaco...

 

Are you going to be a passenger on that one, Herr PMP? :classic_wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure yet, the Ms Amsterdam just published the Grand Africa, Boston to FLL, on Oct 3 2020..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...