Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Mickb

Transfer Red Hook to Newark

Recommended Posts

A very dear friend of ours who is in her late 80s is sailing on the QM2 westbound departing from Southampton next Sunday 29th. She is flying out of Newark at 1pm on Sunday 5th - the day of arrival into New York. She’s pretty much together but is slightly daunted by the transfer process.

Can anybody recommend a reliable limo firm for her transfer from Red Hook to Newark? She will need a help with her case and is likely to be phased by a sea of faces in the baggage hall. Is there a company where the driver will greet her as she comes through customs? Or is she better to wait until she boards and arrange the transfer through the front desk. She does not want to travel on a Cunard Transfer bus.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use Dial7 car service. We “discovered” them here on CruiseCritic on a similar thread. Every driver we’ve had has been professional and courteous.  We plan on using them again on our next trip. You can find them online or call them. Be specific about your needs and concerns. They will ask you which airline and probably flight number. They are not inexpensive, but imo worth every penny.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tonopah said:

We use Dial7 car service. We “discovered” them here on CruiseCritic on a similar thread. Every driver we’ve had has been professional and courteous.  We plan on using them again on our next trip. You can find them online or call them. Be specific about your needs and concerns. They will ask you which airline and probably flight number. They are not inexpensive, but imo worth every penny.

 

Ditto......Our favorite choice even within city transportation needs..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

What's the typical Dial7 fare to Newark? 

 I just went to the website and they quote $84 for a standard sedan, $97 for "Luxury" towncar and $180 for a SUV. (When we travel with an oversize garment bag, regular large rolling garment bag, large 22" "rolling box" and a rollaboard carryon, it fits in the trunk of a sedan/towncar).  This doesn't include tolls (I think 2 of them no matter the route) tip or waiting extra. 

(We use them on all our NY visits - they're already booked for our June trip for JFK-Hotel and Hotel-Ship. ..We'll play it by ear for the return Ship-JFK since our debark time might be very fast (we'll already have cleared customs unlike on a crossing, so I'm unsure what time to reserve. I'll probably do it before leaving the ship, but am leaving my options open before pre-reserving)

Google for $5-10 discount codes for new customers.

https://www.dial7.com/rates.html

Edited by MarkBearSF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's essentially the same as the Cunard-booked coach in my experience, after you add the tolls for the car.

 

I can see the appeal of a private car but the bus won't break me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you

we shall contact Dial 7 today. Is there a clearly defined place at Red Hook where drivers wait for passengers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mickb said:

Thank you

we shall contact Dial 7 today. Is there a clearly defined place at Red Hook where drivers wait for passengers?

When we've used Dial7 (& I too recommend them) they swoop in at the time they say they will about 50 yards to the left of the terminal door, no need to cross any road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Arecibo is the local Brooklyn cab company.

 

Here are their rates: https://arecibocc.com/rates/

 

We use them every time we are in NYC.

 

Stewart

Hi Stewart 

 

We are using arecibo this time to take us to Newark. I've reserved online & had an email saying "Submission confirmed Thanks for the reservation. Your car will be there on time" Theres no reservation id or confirmation of times. Will I need to call them as we clear customs or will they wait/arrive in the same bit the town cars wait at? Just edgy cos we're doing something different and trying to prempt any problems on the day as hubby expects me to have all the answers to situations we might encounter while travelling in America because I lived in MD for a little while almost 20 years ago! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mickb said:

A very dear friend of ours who is in her late 80s is sailing on the QM2 westbound departing from Southampton next Sunday 29th. She is flying out of Newark at 1pm on Sunday 5th

We are on the same crossing (Sunday's the 28th) we're picking a rental car up at Newark & will self disembark first thing. Perhaps we'll see her, I'll keep my eyes peeled 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wenlyn said:

Hi Stewart 

 

We are using arecibo this time to take us to Newark. I've reserved online & had an email saying "Submission confirmed Thanks for the reservation. Your car will be there on time" Theres no reservation id or confirmation of times. Will I need to call them as we clear customs or will they wait/arrive in the same bit the town cars wait at? Just edgy cos we're doing something different and trying to prempt any problems on the day as hubby expects me to have all the answers to situations we might encounter while travelling in America because I lived in MD for a little while almost 20 years ago! 

 

We've never booked in advance. We just call them once we are out of the terminal and stand at the chain fence, after giving them the number on the fence.

I think I would let them know that I'd prefer to call to confirm once I'd cleared immigration.

Good luck!

Stewart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Stewart. I will make sure their number is in my phone!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice everyone - we shall try Dial 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update

Phoned Dial 7 to make booking and explain situation. Have to say the operative was less than impressive. I got the impression that she was reading from a script and any request that did not have an scripted answer was  ‘no’! Very disappointing.

She then sent through a confirmation that did not list all the extras that we had previously agreed. I had to call back to request a confirmation that listed all the agreed services.

It may be that she was not accustomed to my English voice but I am not filled with confidence that my $145 + tips, tolls, taxes and possible congestion charge will deliver the requested level of care for our friend.

Maybe I am worrying too much and all will be fine on the day?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure it will be fine. Obviously you have asked for various extras & I can't speak to that as our needs have fortunately been simple enough to do an online booking - perhaps they are just not used to talking to people in this day & age?. Nonetheless Dial7 consistently rate highly when you search NY transport and everyone can't be lying. Sounds like you are paying enough to ensure good service. The only bit thats hard to gauge is the time it takes to get through customs & immigration and unfortunately no one can know how that will pan out and what effect that has on plans. I'm pretty sure even if everything went wrong despite your plans there would be someone who'd step in & help your friend out, people are generally good.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mickb said:

Update

Phoned Dial 7 to make booking and explain situation. Have to say the operative was less than impressive. I got the impression that she was reading from a script and any request that did not have an scripted answer was  ‘no’! Very disappointing.

She then sent through a confirmation that did not list all the extras that we had previously agreed. I had to call back to request a confirmation that listed all the agreed services.

It may be that she was not accustomed to my English voice but I am not filled with confidence that my $145 + tips, tolls, taxes and possible congestion charge will deliver the requested level of care for our friend.

Maybe I am worrying too much and all will be fine on the day?


You very well may be worrying to much - but why worry?  Just cancel the booking and check out Carmel limo or Arecibo. ...and I say this as a big fan of DIal7 who has three reservations with them for our upcoming trip.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Guys.

It’s too complicated to cancel now . I shall keep my fingers crossed 🤞

Thank you for your advice and help.

just leaving to take to Southampton now - how I wish we were going too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 3:08 AM, Mickb said:

Thanks Guys.

It’s too complicated to cancel now . I shall keep my fingers crossed 🤞

Thank you for your advice and help.

just leaving to take to Southampton now - how I wish we were going too!

Could you please let us know how your friend's transfer went? I've been thinking about her and hope all went well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the info about Arecibo.  I just called them to inquire about their rates to go to Penn Sta. NYC and he said there's no need to reserve in advance.  Just call when we get in to port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all

The transfer was complicated by the fact that there was a cycle race that day and many streets were blocked off. The driver arrived a little early and other friends escorted our friend off the ship in a wheelchair and helped her find her bag and found the driver. The run to Newark took 1 hour 45 with the closed streets and extra traffic but she caught her plane in time. I think Dial 7 were fine. She arrives back in the UK tomorrow so if anything is different I will let you know.

Thanks on her behalf to all who offered advice and help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...