Cruise Critic Community
skidawg79

Booked! Surprise 1st cruise for my Mom!

Posted (edited)

So I have been lucky enough to have gone on a few cruises.  Every time I go my Mom talks to me about how she would love to go on one someday but none of her sisters or friends want to go.   Soooo I just booked a cruise for March 2020 and going to surprise her with it as a Christmas (and early bday/mothers day) present.   Booked the 3/1/20 sailing 6 night out of Miami on the Carnival Horizon (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel).   I booked us a cove balcony.  Her bday is 3/7 so we will be able to spend the day in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale on her bday when we disembark.   Cant wait to see her face, she won't believe it!  Now the hardest part is keeping this a secret for the next 8 months!!  haha 

Edited by skidawg79

Posted (edited)

I'm a Mom, and what a thoughtful son!  Our son works on Carnival Ships (Fun Squad), so it's me who visits him at "work".  🤗🛳🏝!!

Does your Mom have a current Passport?  

SHhhhhh .... as long as you can. But, on the other side . She might like the time to go cruise ship clothes shopping, or even to save some extra cash. You'd know better than any of us.

🌸🌸 Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18

43 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

I'm a Mom, and what a thoughtful son!  Our son works on Carnival Ships (Fun Squad), so it's me who visits him at "work".  🤗🛳🏝!!

Does your Mom have a current Passport?  

SHhhhhh .... as long as you can. But, on the other side . She might like the time to go cruise ship clothes shopping, or even to save some extra cash. You'd know better than any of us.

🌸🌸 Bobbi 

She does have a current passport, so good on that front.  I thought the same thing about the shopping, but she is retired and has 2 full months after I tell her  to go shopping haha.  Good call on saving money....the dilemma lol   I'll try to keep it a secret, but might get tough as we get closer!  Also, That's awesome your son works on Carnival!  

Give her the cruise as a Christmas gift. Then she will have time to pack, get passport, etc.

Karen

I KNOW YOUR PAIN!! I booked a surprise Christmas cruise for my children (16 and 13) for this year. Our passports were expired so I HAD to book another cruise (oh the horror) to not tip it off. I'm having a very rough time with saying cruise instead of cruises lol. I'm not sure what I'll do between June and December! I'm sure she'll LOVE the surprise and having 3 months for her to prepare (we know how mothers can be) will be awesome. My kids aren't finding out until the night before we leave. If I was in your shoes I'd do some type of countdown object as a gift. Then she can be hyped and excited every day from Christmas until you leave 🙂

On 4/24/2019 at 11:26 AM, BBigfoot613 said:

I KNOW YOUR PAIN!! I booked a surprise Christmas cruise for my children (16 and 13) for this year. Our passports were expired so I HAD to book another cruise (oh the horror) to not tip it off. I'm having a very rough time with saying cruise instead of cruises lol. I'm not sure what I'll do between June and December! I'm sure she'll LOVE the surprise and having 3 months for her to prepare (we know how mothers can be) will be awesome. My kids aren't finding out until the night before we leave. If I was in your shoes I'd do some type of countdown object as a gift. Then she can be hyped and excited every day from Christmas until you leave 🙂

I love that idea!  Countdown clock is an awesome idea!   I actually had to move the cruise to the 3/29 which will give her a little extra time to get ready for it.  Thank you for that idea!

We did this for my parents one year and gave them a cruise ship ornament for the tree. My mom got it right away, jumping up and down. It was a great time. Both the telling and the cruise. It was pretty far out in our case, so they had time to get passports and such.