Jump to content

Potential Edge Modifications Revealed By Cruise Critic Editor


vtcruising
 Share

Recommended Posts

It is obviously women getting off track and sharing things that are not pertinent to title of thread...that’s all!..

 

.I do think adding the shower doors to S1’s and S2’s to be so much better; too bad the S1afts have the shower curtain, but I have yet to have an issue with water on the floor.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am quite curious to hear from those who are winding down on the current TA if they think Edge has addressed a number of concerns people had on the December/January cruises.  We noticed quite a few changes when we sailed April 7th but others have been suggested by X management.  Thanks

Edited by Oville
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2019 at 7:50 AM, Lastdance said:

It is obviously women getting off track and sharing things that are not pertinent to title of thread...that’s all!..

 

That's because there is little that Celebrity can do to address the inherent problems with the design or furniture ( I doubt they will throw the furniture overboard during the TA).  Not much left to say.  Sure they can change the costume and the length of the show in Eden, but that won't help with the significant issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Oville said:

I am quite curious to hear from those who are winding down on the current TA if they think Edge has addressed a number of concerns people had on the December/January cruises.  We noticed quite a few changes when we sailed April 7th but others have been suggested by X management.  Thanks

Yes, hope they are enjoying their last couple of days on the Edge and will report back after they are rested up.  It will be interesting to see if they got any inside info. 🙂

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Oville said:

I am quite curious to hear from those who are winding down on the current TA if they think Edge has addressed a number of concerns people had on the December/January cruises.  We noticed quite a few changes when we sailed April 7th but others have been suggested by X management.  Thanks

Katie (and Marilyn), I have managed to speak with some officers and staff regarding changes in progress & those planned for the near future, as well as those still under discussion. No time to elaborate now, as I'm still trying to get photos for my review (coming soon lol) pack, and say goodbye to friends. I can't leave without saying goodbye to Mr. Edge, the haunted forest, and the wooden people😉 I can't believe we must leave tomorrow! More soon! Michelle

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Katie (and Marilyn), I have managed to speak with some officers and staff regarding changes in progress & those planned for the near future, as well as those still under discussion. No time to elaborate now, as I'm still trying to get photos for my review (coming soon lol) pack, and say goodbye to friends. I can't leave without saying goodbye to Mr. Edge, the haunted forest, and the wooden people😉 I can't believe we must leave tomorrow! More soon! Michelle

I feel sad for you - saying good bye to friends is bad enough, but also saying good bye to  Mr Edge, the Faceless People and Avalon makes it even harder!

 

I can't wait to read your review! Safe travels!!🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick teasers lol...Chairs in IVs to be replaced, presumably with something less massive. 50 IV bifold doors have been frosted.  I managed to see one today (thanks to Guest Relations). Pics to follow later. Sorry. Must go. More later...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Silkroad said:

Quick teasers lol...Chairs in IVs to be replaced, presumably with something less massive. 50 IV bifold doors have been frosted.  I managed to see one today (thanks to Guest Relations). Pics to follow later. Sorry. Must go. More later...

Ooh, you are a tease!! Can’t wait to see your pictures!!

 

Enjoy your last night, Michelle! Say hi to all the rest of the gang for me!🙂

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the opportunity to twice speak with the Hotel Director, Niyazi Korkmaz, regarding planned changes for the IVs, as well as planned changes for the RTG Grill & Fine Cut Grill. He said the following (and showed me photos of a frosted bifold door). During our conversations, he said:

 

  • Fifty IV cabins already had frosted bifold doors, and the rest will be done soon.
  • New chairs (but not tables) are on order for the IV cabins.
  • There are no plans to remove the blinds in the IVs.
  • An awning will be added to the RTG Grill, but no wind shield panels are planned.
  • Panels are being discussed for the FCG (already done on Apex) to reduce noise from the Grand Plaza during dinner.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ship was completely full for our cruise, so all fifty IVs with frosted bifold doors were occupied. Knowing quite a few PAX had intended to disembark early, in Le Havre, I asked Guest Relations if I could see one, if one became free. Fortunately, one did, so Guest Relations arranged for the cabin attendant to let me see the cabin. I was able to spend just a couple minutes in IV cabin 7267, but I got some quick photos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that with smaller - and hopefully more comfortable - chairs, the bifold doors may be easier to open/close without moving furniture. That would allow those who want to avoid using the blind (which turns the cabin into a dark cave IMO) to have privacy for one occupant while the other is on the veranda. BTW the fifty cabins that already have frosted doors are all located on deck 7, aft (both port & starboard).

Edited by Silkroad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO, the current chairs are quite uncomfortable, not because of the size, but because the angle of the back placed undue strain on my lower back. They have no neck support (as the chairs on M & S class do) which placed undue strain on my neck. I had to sit upright, not using the back at all, much like a Victorian lady wearing a corset lol. My hope is that they'll be replaced with chairs like the ones that have been on M & S class verandas for the past few years. I'll post a photo demonstrating how massive the current chairs are.

Edited by Silkroad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also had the opportunity to twice discuss entertainment with the CD, Damian de Lorenzis. I first highly praised one of the shows, which was the best Celebrity production show I've seen since my first cruise (on Millennium in 2006). Everything worked. Timing, performance, story. DH & I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I managed to completely lose myself in the performance. Excellent job by Damian, musicians, cast, and backstage crew (more on this production will be in my review).

 

I also praised the fantastic Celebrity Theatre Musicians, and told Damian I'd love to see them perform their own music around the ship. He said that sometimes happens, but this cruise had a lot of guest musicians.

 

I mentioned that many of us like varied music & productions, and that we hoped X would continue to balance the golden oldies with music of the present & recent past. He quite naturally couldn't commit to any path, but did say that the musicians (house band etc) are trained to "read the audience" on each cruise, and adapt their performance choices to the audience. We shall see. I guess we'll need to keep commenting on what we like & dislike, and hope for the best.

 
Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for this great update and sharing your discussions with the CD and others,,  So far, it all sounds and looks  good.  Smaller chairs will assist opening and closing the IV bifolds  although we were fune with leaving them open...fir more A /C space.  I lke the frosted look at least in the photos!

 

  We are looking forward to EDGE again in Nov...but will have a Sunset Veranda...not the IV...

 

(Hope to see you on the APEX Edgie cruise Nov 2020)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2019 at 7:50 AM, Lastdance said:

It is obviously women getting off track and sharing things that are not pertinent to title of thread...that’s all!..

 

.I do think adding the shower doors to S1’s and S2’s to be so much better; too bad the S1afts have the shower curtain, but I have yet to have an issue with water on the floor.

We had no curtain or door, flooded floors and fogged mirrors.

awrful for a sky 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/2/2019 at 3:32 PM, UnorigionalName said:

RCL's 2019 Q1 report and call is out:

 

CEO: 

 

"First, we continue to enjoy delicious yields on our new ships from last year, Celebrity Edge and Symphony of the Seas. We continue to find that our guests appreciate the innovation and the focus that characterize our new ship and more importantly they're willing to pay for it."

 

"So Celebrity Edge has just been going gangbusters ..."

 

CFO:

"If you look at Celebrity -- especially with Celebrity Edge, and the yield growth associated with that or the overall demand for Edge has really been exceptional."

 

Yeah, I don't think they're buying a 5th ship because it is doing so poorly. And I don't see any signs they are unhappy with the direction of Celebrity.

So many unsold cabins. They filled the TA because of the accident the Oasis had and Europeans needed to get home. Also, others were looking forward to their vacation and had flights back to the states.  Before this happened, the ship was at least 1/3empty.

if they say, they are doing well, they think you might believe it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2019 at 11:17 AM, Silkroad said:

IMO, the current chairs are quite uncomfortable, not because of the size, but because the angle of the back placed undue strain on my lower back. They have no neck support (as the chairs on M & S class do) which placed undue strain on my neck. I had to sit upright, not using the back at all, much like a Victorian lady wearing a corset lol. My hope is that they'll be replaced with chairs like the ones that have been on M & S class verandas for the past few years. I'll post a photo demonstrating how massive the current chairs are.

My hope is that they replace them in the SS too. I do like chairs that have a footstool. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

My hope is that they replace them in the SS too. I do like chairs that have a footstool. 

I agree, on both points! I sometimes wonder what they thought people would do with their large, empty verandas. Practice their Tango? Bit by bit, the furniture is improving, especially in the suites. We can have hope😊

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I agree, on both points! I sometimes wonder what they thought people would do with their large, empty verandas. Practice their Tango? Bit by bit, the furniture is improving, especially in the suites. We can have hope😊

I would like furniture like this with a taller, larger table. We're in a S1 port side and are definitely hoping the balcony furniture is changed by our Sept 30 cruise. 

balcony furniture.jpg

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...