Potential Edge Modifications Revealed By Cruise Critic Editor

vtcruising

23 minutes ago, hcat said:

Read your review.  Very well written and honest...good points made. It was not that easy to locate the CC reviews..maybe you should post a link.

I

Thanks.....as I stated, so much of the "interesting" things about the Edge had already been said, so I tried to talk about the "differences" that I enjoyed (like the 4 dining rooms).  I'm not sure how to post a link.  Please enlighten me, and I'll do it.  I assume it would be under a new topic.  

We wanted to enjoy the solarium, but we found it hot and humid, whereas outside on the floor above the sunset bar there was shade as well as a nice breeze.  My husband is a good napper, but he couldn't take the moist environment in the solarium.  There were always people lounging as well as wading in the pool, but we could still always find two lounges in a nice location.

The magic carpet was NOT used to board tenders when we sailed. They told us that there tenders are too small and do not carry enough people.. So they don't use the magic carpet to get on the tenders. As for the EADEN. A total stupid joke. Disgusting waste of time. A sky lounge is needed. No large area for gatherings and drinks. Most all seating is totally uncomfortable. A huge big black horse is stupid as are the wooden statues. We are on the ocean. Ever heard of the work nautical. The buffet food was downright terrible. What some very cold meat loaf, greasy and slimy fish. Go to the buffet. Love to get major heartburn. Go to the buffet. Everything was super spicy. Just returned from the Reflection which basically is a direct copy of the buffet on the EDGE. Completely different quality and taste. Excellent. Another thing about the magic carpet. It fills up immediately. never able to get on and get a drink. Half the time it was on deck 14 locked up. Forget evening dinner on it. Even though they have glass surrounding it. Everyone was hanging on to there table coverings and food. Extremely windy. Needless to say the women hated it. My opinion of this ship is not a beautiful ocean going cruise liner. it is a floating hotel and nothing more. basically no activities that are worth going to. I am sure there are those that will love it. Probably rich people and first time cruisers that do not know any better. Why rich cruisers. EVERYTHING on that ship is expensive. Especially the specialty dining. Way, way over priced. Just thought about this. That might be why the buffet is so terrible. Want you to purchase the specialty dining.

44 minutes ago, welovetahiti said:

Thanks.....as I stated, so much of the "interesting" things about the Edge had already been said, so I tried to talk about the "differences" that I enjoyed (like the 4 dining rooms).  I'm not sure how to post a link.  Please enlighten me, and I'll do it.  I assume it would be under a new topic.  

We wanted to enjoy the solarium, but we found it hot and humid, whereas outside on the floor above the sunset bar there was shade as well as a nice breeze.  My husband is a good napper, but he couldn't take the moist environment in the solarium.  There were always people lounging as well as wading in the pool, but we could still always find two lounges in a nice location.

Found it! Thanks for your insight. Here's the link for others to see it.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=655466

I saw one of those panoramic views and found the view quite impacted by the lifeboats (if the numbers hadn't been there, it would have been better, IMO) and I found the name "Panoramic Ocean View" to be a misnomer.

image.thumb.png.1e96136704aca28e0db7cdae64974c0e.png

image.thumb.png.9b4cb2500177b05dfe9f526f1c1772c3.png

If you want to review your cabin on the cabin sticky so others will know about your obstructed view, it would be great! Here is the link. Just copy the template in the first post and paste it in a new post, complete the info and post it. I will enter it in the spreadsheet. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

2 hours ago, Silkroad said:

I have sought him everywhere, to no avail. I did think I caught a glimpse of him near the Martini Bar last night, but then again, I'd just had two excellent margaritas lol. I'll keep looking...

If the Martini Bar had ice on it, he probably would have been sitting on the bar! Keep drinking those margaritas and I'll bet you will see him. 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Found it! Thanks for your insight. Here's the link for others to see it.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=655466

I saw one of those panoramic views and found the view quite impacted by the lifeboats (if the numbers hadn't been there, it would have been better, IMO) and I found the name "Panoramic Ocean View" to be a misnomer.

image.thumb.png.1e96136704aca28e0db7cdae64974c0e.png

image.thumb.png.9b4cb2500177b05dfe9f526f1c1772c3.png

If you want to review your cabin on the cabin sticky so others will know about your obstructed view, it would be great! Here is the link. Just copy the template in the first post and paste it in a new post, complete the info and post it. I will enter it in the spreadsheet. 🙂

Vt

I knew you would get the link..thanks...but I would have tried my best!

Wow...the view seems quite  obstructed and distracting to me!

Hope it will be noted on the sticky..X should make the same note and discount accordingly

Edited by hcat

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

The magic carpet was NOT used to board tenders when we sailed. They told us that there tenders are too small and do not carry enough people.. So they don't use the magic carpet to get on the tenders. As for the EADEN. A total stupid joke. Disgusting waste of time. A sky lounge is needed. No large area for gatherings and drinks. Most all seating is totally uncomfortable. A huge big black horse is stupid as are the wooden statues. We are on the ocean. Ever heard of the work nautical. The buffet food was downright terrible. What some very cold meat loaf, greasy and slimy fish. Go to the buffet. Love to get major heartburn. Go to the buffet. Everything was super spicy. Just returned from the Reflection which basically is a direct copy of the buffet on the EDGE. Completely different quality and taste. Excellent. Another thing about the magic carpet. It fills up immediately. never able to get on and get a drink. Half the time it was on deck 14 locked up. Forget evening dinner on it. Even though they have glass surrounding it. Everyone was hanging on to there table coverings and food. Extremely windy. Needless to say the women hated it. My opinion of this ship is not a beautiful ocean going cruise liner. it is a floating hotel and nothing more. basically no activities that are worth going to. I am sure there are those that will love it. Probably rich people and first time cruisers that do not know any better. Why rich cruisers. EVERYTHING on that ship is expensive. Especially the specialty dining. Way, way over priced. Just thought about this. That might be why the buffet is so terrible. Want you to purchase the specialty dining.

From your other posts, it is clear you did not like  anything about EDGE. ..Glad you liked the  Reflection better! 

Some of us  have enjoyed EDGE,  so we have to agree to disagree. 

Your thought that  only rich people and first time cruisers who do not know better would pick EDGE is not correct.  We are not rich and certainly have many years of cruising under our belt..Mostly X ( C, M and S class ships)  and Royal C,  but Cunard too!

Not everything is perfect about EDGE but it has a fresh approach is we liked it! We were in BLU so we did not try Specialty dining.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Sorry you had bad experiences on Celebrity.  Good luck with your next cruise line.

20 minutes ago, hcat said:

Vt

I knew you would get the link..thanks...but I would have tried my best!

Wow...the view seems quite  obstructed and distracting to me!

Hope it will be noted on the sticky..X should make the same note and discount accordingly

She was kind enough to do a review so others will be aware. 🙂

As many have said, the IV bifold doors are not airtight. Let's see if I can upload photos of our fully closed bifold doors. You can clearly see DH's shirt through the gap in the center of the doors, and he easily stuck his fingers through the gap at one side of the doors. Not airtight.

20190428_133419.jpg

20190428_133311.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Silkroad said:

As many have said, the IV bifold doors are not airtight. Let's see if I can upload photos of our fully closed bifold doors. You can clearly see DH's shirt through the gap in the center of the doors, and he easily stuck his fingers through the gap at one side of the doors. Not airtight.

Great pictures! I knew you would be our Sherlock Holmes! 😉  I didn't remember the gaps on the sides that twodjs described and didn't have good pictures of the sides when closed. Hope X is taking note as their people didn't seem to know either (the officers, execs in Q&A video). Have you been able to stay comfortable with Go Green turned off when the glass in down or does it get hot in there anyway?

I am wondering if one of the reasons we stayed cool with our IV open is because we were on 12 under an overhang. I hope you have been able to enjoy yours!

Hope you are enjoying the MDRs. A TA is great for getting a good idea, with so many nights. I will be interested in your thoughts (I think you have Select so are going to all?).

Have a lovely day and feel free to continue to toast us all with your margaritas! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

19 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I Am so so so very sorry that your experience on The Edge was less than stellar...

Your experience, as presented, is definitely not that of the vast majority of other posters, so far.

Yes, there are a few posters who have had issues, yet not to the degree that you have had.

Non-Edge class ships are where you may be most comfortable based on your comments concerning The Reflection.

bon voyage

Sorry you are not correct. Please go and read the reviews and see for yourself. 5 stars are NOT the most. Plus, if I was incorrect. Why is Celebrity doing the right thing and already taking the reviews to heart and starting to change things for the better? There is only ONE EDGE class ship to review. I mentioned the REFLECTION to compare the food. Nothing else. However, I can compart a lot more especially the seating to be far more comfortable. The class of ship has nothing to do with that at all. If you found the seating on the EDGE to be comfortable you must be at least 6'5' so you can scoot back to the back and not have your legs stick out. Why else would they supply pillows on a lot of chairs. that does not help anyhow. You feel like a child in those chairs on any deck on that ship. Totally uncomfortable. The only seating that was comfortable was in the dining rooms and the martini bar area. No where else.  It is a totally different type of ship and I hope celebrity did not make a multi billion dollar mistake. Nothing to do on that ship either but drink, eat and sit. Exciting.

14 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Sorry you are not correct. Please go and read the reviews and see for yourself. 5 stars are NOT the most. Plus, if I was incorrect. Why is Celebrity doing the right thing and already taking the reviews to heart and starting to change things for the better? There is only ONE EDGE class ship to review. I mentioned the REFLECTION to compare the food. Nothing else. However, I can compart a lot more especially the seating to be far more comfortable. The class of ship has nothing to do with that at all. If you found the seating on the EDGE to be comfortable you must be at least 6'5' so you can scoot back to the back and not have your legs stick out. Why else would they supply pillows on a lot of chairs. that does not help anyhow. You feel like a child in those chairs on any deck on that ship. Totally uncomfortable. The only seating that was comfortable was in the dining rooms and the martini bar area. No where else.  It is a totally different type of ship and I hope celebrity did not make a multi billion dollar mistake. Nothing to do on that ship either but drink, eat and sit. Exciting.

Is this comment in response to mine or someone else's?

bon voyage

• Like 1

As a reply. We did not have a bad experience on Celebrity. So hoping we have a better experience on another cruise line is not the problem at all. We had a terrible experience on the EDGE only.

We love all the other cruises we have taken with Celebrity. And the other cruise lines we have cruised on.

Nothing comes even close to this waste of money and time. I am sure there are many who loved it. great! That is what celebrity is looking for. They must make changes. Mostly the seating and the buffet. Both were terrible to say the least. get a different chef and I Think that might do it for the buffet. Get the food at least warm. Take all the spice out of everything. You already committed to the magic carpet. A gimmick that does not work.

23 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Just my view. But to reply to yours. The vast majority of the reviews are not 5 star.

Yes, just your view and I respect that, yet believe that your view, well, your view vs those who have posted reviews thus far.

Were they all positive, no, were they all negative (only a few) no.

It is the reviews where there is nothing right at all even in the least bit, many of us discount.

Yes, I was in error in thinking you wrote more than one (1) positive item about The Reflection, as maybe that is the only thing you found worthy enough to mention. My apologies for sure.

I do not necessarily look for a 'majority' of 5 star reviews, as I know it is not quite possible, yet I do look for common areas where it is important to me and my guests sailing.

Thus I really, really, really enjoy the reviews of those with whom I have bonded from the vision inception of The Edge Class of ships to the first sailings, including previews.

Still the reviews were generally fairly good, overall.

Currently, you and a few others are still in the minority with 'valid' complaints about the ship. It sounds to me that this class of ship is not cut out for you, especially knowing it is new, not sure the reason one would sign up for something which requires a work through towards perfection in the first place. Do you enjoy suffering that much or is it a brag or complain factor, possibly?

I do look forward to your 'real' detailed review of the sailing so we can get the full flavour of your dis-taste of The Edge and not just generalities...

I do not and will not discount your right and desire to post 'negatives' about your experience on The Edge or any other ship. Unless you provide something more tangible, then it falls on my deaf ears and quick fingers to respond accordingly... 😉

Thank you again for your input here... and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

7 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

As a reply. We did not have a bad experience on Celebrity. So hoping we have a better experience on another cruise line is not the problem at all. We had a terrible experience on the EDGE only.

We love all the other cruises we have taken with Celebrity. And the other cruise lines we have cruised on.

Nothing comes even close to this waste of money and time. I am sure there are many who loved it. great! That is what celebrity is looking for. They must make changes. Mostly the seating and the buffet. Both were terrible to say the least. get a different chef and I Think that might do it for the buffet. Get the food at least warm. Take all the spice out of everything. You already committed to the magic carpet. A gimmick that does not work.

While we already know you refuse to eat in Specialty Dining, how were the MDR's or whatever venue you were assigned to?

Then there is the Spa Cafe and Mast Grill... how were they? Was the food edible there, at least?

bon appetite and bon voyage

10 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

This is why there are many ships out there, because we all like different things. I have stated my opinion enough on why I think some of the changes are being made, I don't agree with some, but can say the Edge right now has been our favorite ship. The gimmick was my favorite spot to relax on.

We have only cruised 15 times on 7 different ships, so our experiences are a bit limited, but the Edge was a lot of fun. By the way we aren't independently wealthy, don't eat at specialty restaurants, and the ship kept busy for the 7 days and wish we had been on longer. We found the buffet food, and MDR food to be the best of any line we have sailed. The MDR food was better tasting that the food we had in Disney's upcharge restaurant. Food is tough though because it varies from person to person.

I didn't do a formal review, but if you search my screen name you will find my thrifty cruiser thread. We did find some misses with the ship, but overall it was very nice.

Personally I usually look at the 5 star quantity before I choose a ship to cruise on. I do not go to one star because they are usually not familiar with cruising and give a review on what they hate because they did not know or expect what normally happens on a cruise. 4 stars will give a good review. However, before cruising on the EDGE I should have decided by the reviews and I did not. Wanting to give the ship a chance and review on my own experiences. I had already booked the APEX. cancelled it as soon as we returned from the cruise. I did do a full review of the ship on here. One thing I did not mention was getting off of the ship. One person told me i was wrong but I double checked and i was correct. getting off of theship toyour transportation if it is at the pier. it is almost a 1/2 mile walk. if you are at the garage parking. Yes, further. My wife and i are in ur 70 is fairly good health. However, my wife had to stop and wait a bit before continuing. Everyone was walking as fast as they would like there was a fire or something.

Anyhow, not for us but it might be for many others. make up your own mind if you go on the EDGE. I really hope you love it and it is well worth it for you.

3 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Personally I usually look at the 5 star quantity before I choose a ship to cruise on. I do not go to one star because they are usually not familiar with cruising and give a review on what they hate because they did not know or expect what normally happens on a cruise. 4 stars will give a good review. However, before cruising on the EDGE I should have decided by the reviews and I did not. Wanting to give the ship a chance and review on my own experiences. I had already booked the APEX. cancelled it as soon as we returned from the cruise. I did do a full review of the ship on here. One thing I did not mention was getting off of the ship. One person told me i was wrong but I double checked and i was correct. getting off of theship toyour transportation if it is at the pier. it is almost a 1/2 mile walk. if you are at the garage parking. Yes, further. My wife and i are in ur 70 is fairly good health. However, my wife had to stop and wait a bit before continuing. Everyone was walking as fast as they would like there was a fire or something.

Anyhow, not for us but it might be for many others. make up your own mind if you go on the EDGE. I really hope you love it and it is well worth it for you.

I now understand better your comments about The Edge.

bon voyage

The mast grill ws just fine. However a deck up and to the stern to get a burger if you are in the buffet for lunch. A long way to go. The Spa Cafe is a place for healthy alternatives. Did not try it. Only open for a short time and a long line.

6 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

If you could get on the gimmick. Filled up fast and closed own most of the time. great for a drink but not for eating.

Sounds like you can afford expensive cruises. Disney? 

No we sail insides or oceanviews always now, not just due to budget, but Disney used to be priced inline with Celebrity and RCCL, but starting in 2017 they went nuts on prices. We did sail on Concierge on Disney, twice, and verandas when we were cutting our teeth on cruising, but ultimately decided we didn't use the rooms enough, veranda, or the concierge services enough to justify those extra costs.

For the most part we didn't have a difficult time finding a spot to sit. Going into and out of ports of course was standing room only.

Edited by cgolf1

OK yes the Disney is at least twice the price of any other regular cruise line. If you have children and cruise on there now. Take out a second mortgage to pay for it. Just imagine the cost with 3 or 4 children. Ouch! The Harmony that we were on is one fantastic ship. The also catered to children wonderfully. So much for them to do and enjoy. Including the mom and dad. I did a review on that and gave it 5 stars because I could not give it 6 or 7. We never card for big ships with a lot of cruises on them. However, the Harmony changed our minds forever. So big and it was never really crowded at all. Oh my, the food. Outstanding. The variety unending. So if i still had children it would be the Harmony hand down vs the Disney line. We are booked on the sister ships for next year and 2012. can not go on the harmony for several more years. they do not change the broadway shows often. The shows are magical and unlink any on other chips. I must stop. i can goon and on about that ship. Worth every penny.