Cruise Critic Community
Fartlek

How did the Sail Away rate work out for you?

We always book Inside cabins with Sail Away, don't see any value in the "free" perks. We are Platinum Plus and don't think it affects which cabin you get. We have always been happy with our cabins, we don't fret about deck, front, middle or aft, whether we get a sofa or not. We really are only in the cabin from 10 pm to 8am. We have bid on a balcony and got  it twice with just over the minimum bid. We have bid 4 or 5 other times and not got the upgrade.

My problem with Sail Away is NCL seems to be doing away with it, wanting the extra revenue from their "Free at Sea" rates. I think they want to offer all inclusive cruises to maximize revenue, so they only offer a handful of cabins at Sail Away rate and these  sell out fast. I tried to book Sail Away for Spirit out of Dubai in 2019 on the day the cruise was announced and it said Sail Away was sold out. I looked at other similar cruises and they were all sold out on Sail Away.

Another drawback to the Sail Away rate is, if you do want a drink, the prices are nuts. A beer is $10 when the autotip of 20% is added in, and a cosmo or similar for DW is about $15.

Tony

12 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Myth.   There isn't going to be any "preferential"  assignments.   You are only going to get what is open.    There are also multiple thousands of higher level latitudes,  so hardly exclusive with assignments.    You'll get what's available.     

well with all due respect you don't know that, and neither do i.  Only those who work directly with NCL and do the stateroom assignments know for a fact how they give out staterooms and what parameters they use, so until we know for sure how they do it,  saying is a MYTH is kind of a stretch.

We booked  a balcony"sail a way " for the first time.  This won't be our last.  Our total with insurance etc for 2 came to around $2200.  The balcony, we were assigned within 2 weeks , prices out now at $4234.50  ins not included.  Mid ship location on 10th floor.  Our friends booked at the same time and were assigned 6 cabins from us.  We are Plat.  they are not😉 so I'm pretty sure lat. levels don't count. This is for an 11 day cruise/

Posted (edited)

pretty well, actually, both times. 

3 of us (with a kiddo) in one cabin, mom in another inside on Jade. I was slightly unhappy with the inside cabin for us because it was under the arcade.  However, we got upgraded for free to an OV 5102 in the back, the room and the location was nice. Mom got all the way forward 8003, she loved it.

the second time we had Sailaway balconies on the Getaway. They put mom forward again in 9712, and us in a family balcony 12184. When we got onboard, we swapped with my mom, because her forward cabin had a pullman bed AND a sofa, and our kid wants to sleep on a pullman bed. 12184 only had a sofa bed.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

For most, it looks like the sail away has worked out well.  I think we will continue to purchase the sail away rate as the savings are usually significant.  It is a risk but it looks like it usually works out well.

Thanks

If you are platinum and book the sailaway rate, do you still get the platinum specialty dinners, free laundry, and free behind the scene tour?

1 hour ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

If you are platinum and book the sailaway rate, do you still get the platinum specialty dinners, free laundry, and free behind the scene tour?

My PCC says we do

12 hours ago, Cruiser_Girl1 said:

We have booked sail Away on the Joy.  We just got our cabin number which is a picture window on the 9th deck right in front of ship.  Can anyone tell me what the motion is like up there and can you see past the front of the ship?

Can  be a rough ride.  :)    If you are sailing Alaska,  you have already booked the roughest potential sailing routing anyway.     Smooth sailing isn't a given.    

3 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

You certainly do.   :)   

3 hours ago, Fartlek said:

For most, it looks like the sail away has worked out well.  I think we will continue to purchase the sail away rate as the savings are usually significant.  It is a risk but it looks like it usually works out well.

Thanks

You do have to ask yourself.   Can you accept the risk?    As I've already mentioned,  I've had a few real crappy cabins.   eg-  like over the Bliss Lounge  with music/bass  heard/felt until real late.   Didn't matter to me,  but likely would to a lot of people.    You can't ride the "head in the sand"  thinking based on what was in the past.    Or thinking how lucky you've  been-  is somehow, your route for the future.     Every booking is a fresh unique sailing,  with nothing to predict what you will get.  

8 hours ago, esm54687 said:

I was under the impression a B2 was a Family Balcony (it may be located in the aft area of the ship) but a B1 is a True Aft Balcony

You are correct. I just double checked my booking. I have a B1.

So what are the options if you do a SailAway rate and get a cabin assigned that you do not care for?  On other lines when you get a guarantee, they will let you go back in the pool for another assignment sometimes they will offer an alternate cabin, or price out other cabins to change to.  Does NCL ever do any of those?  Thanks.

We had to do a sailaway gty as it was the only thing available to book. We were assigned different decks. It is our first time sailing NCL (and now that I see how they run things, probably our last.)

RCCL also has a hard time assigning a cabin for 2 and a cabin for 3. That being said, both of our cabin assignments could fit the larger party, so that didn't even come into play. And right now there is a cabin directly beneath ours but on the same deck as our first cabin. So we could have been assigned on the same deck. The reservations were linked. They simply chose to separate us. 

We are new to NCL, sailing on the Sun on May 24th.  We did the sail away balcony and just got our room assignment yesterday. Midship balcony on deck 9 (fjord) .  We are super excited!  

We have only sailed Carnival before and always chosen our stateroom but we may be more open to doing sail away or GTY rooms in the future.  We thought it was fun not knowing what we were going to get!

If you book a Sailaway cabin do you still receive your Latitude Points?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

of course.

19 minutes ago, LTC said:

Yes for your initial booking( 7 points for 7 nights.),but not the extra points  (14 points for 7 nights)if they are part of your bonus points for booking under a latitudes special.

Edited by CruiserCindy
spelling

Thank you for your quick responses. That's what I thought but wasn't 100% sure.

Hi LTC,

We are not sailing until October, but I booked sail away and they said you could use your Lattitude points.

Could you take a walk up to 9702 which is right in the front of the ship and let me know what the motion of the boat feels like there.  If you could let me know I would appreciate it.

This is the first time I’ve booked a sail away room. We did an inside room on the Bliss in Alaska for August. I’m figuring we will get what we paid for, considering Alaska is a popular destination during peak time, 

8 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Yes, absolutely you do. Those are your perks for being Platinum.

1 hour ago, LTC said:

Yes you do.

1 point per night.

Also, 1 extra point if it is a Latitudes Insider sailing.

1 extra point for sailing in a full suite.

Previously it was 1 extra point if booked 6 months before sailing. Now they have done away with that. If there is a single supplement promo(?) you will get that too.

31 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Yes you do.

1 point per night.

Also, 1 extra point if it is a Latitudes Insider sailing.

1 extra point for sailing in a full suite.

Previously it was 1 extra point if booked 6 months before sailing. Now they have done away with that. If there is a single supplement promo(?) you will get that too.

Arzeena,I am pretty sure you DO NOT get 1 extra point for Latitudes Insider sailing if you book a sailaway.I never did when I booked a sailaway during an Insider sailing.

13 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Yes, absolutely you do. Those are your perks for being Platinum.

Thank you.