Cruise Critic Community
Sara250

Bahamas and passport

Hi, for our cruise we are going to The Bahamas on Royal Caribbean. Nassau and Cococay to be specific.We decided to get a passport card. Is a passport card accepted when going to the Bahamas? I understand that a passport book is recommended if needed to fly. I just need to know if a passport card is accepted. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Sara250 said:

Hi, for our cruise we are going to The Bahamas on Royal Caribbean. Nassau and Cococay to be specific.We decided to get a passport card. Is a passport card accepted when going to the Bahamas? I understand that a passport book is recommended if needed to fly. I just need to know if a passport card is accepted. Thanks!

US citizen? A passport "card" for any international flight Is worthless. Only a passport "book" is acceptable (I.e., "required" -not "recommended".)

That said, a passport card can be used for government ID on domestic US flights.

Also, should you decide to cruise on premium or luxury lines in the future, do know that most of them require all passengers on all itineraries to have a passport book.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

US citizen? A passport "card" for any international flight Is worthless. Only a passport "book" is acceptable (I.e., "required" -not "recommended".)

That said, a passport card can be used for government ID on domestic US flights.

Also, should you decide to cruise on premium or luxury lines in the future, do know that most of them require all passengers on all itineraries to have a passport book.

I don’t need to fly international. Just going on a cruise international. Just need to know if I can get on and off a cruise ship woth a passport card

Edited by Sara250

Yes, you can get on a cruise with the passport card.  But it does not get you anything that the BC and Gov't issued ID gets you.  EM

45 minutes ago, Sara250 said:

I don’t need to fly international. Just going on a cruise international. Just need to know if I can get on and off a cruise ship woth a passport card

15 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Yes, you can get on a cruise with the passport card.  But it does not get you anything that the BC and Gov't issued ID gets you.  EM

It gets you 1) one durable document that will stand up to water, etc., 2) the ability to cross land borders and to take closed loop and open jaw sailings involving Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean and Mexico, and 3) the State Department will already have all of your information in its database should you need their assistance. Of course all of those reasons aren't considerations for all travelers so each traveler needs to make up their own mind. 

OP, yes, you can use the passport card to board the ship and disembark at the end of the cruise. Only you can determine if you are comfortable with the small risk involved by not having a passport.

2 hours ago, Sara250 said:

And what happens if there is a medical emergency that requires you fly home from a port?

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I don’t need to fly international. Just going on a cruise international 

16 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

And what happens if there is a medical emergency that requires you fly home from a port?

Its a simple question that requires a simple answer. I already understand about air travel. I don’t need information that was not asked. 

4 minutes ago, Sara250 said:

Its a simple question that requires a simple answer. I already understand about air travel. I don’t need information that was not asked. 

Have you considered that for an $80 difference ($8.00 per year) and minimal additional time/effort you can have a passport rather than the card which offers much greater future opportunity than the card  — which is not, in fact, necessary for your current plans.

43 minutes ago, Sara250 said:

Then skip over those responses. It's not hard. They're offering valid statements that are things to consider. But if you don't like them, move on past and hope it doesn't become something you wish you had. A passport book is a minimal extra cost and a large extra benefit. I wouldn't be caught dead without one out of the country, cruise or not.

@Sara250, you have been given excellent answers here.  Yes, some of them answered more than what you asked, but it is always wise to take that additional information into consideration.

Since you are new here, I will tell you that this is a great way to find out additional information.  Experienced cruisers are not trying to make things difficult for you, they are trying to help.

So, to reiterate the answers ... Yes, you can cruise with the passport card.  Yes, you should strongly consider getting a passport book.

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

@Sara250, you have been given excellent answers here.  Yes, some of them answered more than what you asked, but it is always wise to take that additional information into consideration.

Since you are new here, I will tell you that this is a great way to find out additional information.  Experienced cruisers are not trying to make things difficult for you, they are trying to help.

So, to reiterate the answers ... Yes, you can cruise with the passport card.  Yes, you should strongly consider getting a passport book.

AND, learning to use the "search" feature would save having to type out the question!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

2 hours ago, Sara250 said:

Simple question simple answer. All you need to get back on the ship is your sea pass card and a photo ID like your DL. happy cruising

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

AND, learning to use the "search" feature would save having to type out the question!

Wow so kind

OP, just do what works for you, since what you do has no affect on anyone else (and vice versa).

7 hours ago, Sara250 said:

Yes it is.

IMHO, I would not travel internationally by plane, train, automobile, or ship without a valid passport book.

6 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

IMHO, I would not travel internationally by plane, train, automobile, or ship without a valid passport book.

Nor would any seasoned international business traveler.

9 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Nor would any seasoned international business traveler.

I know a lot of business people in my border community that would scoff at the idea of using a passport for crossing into Canada since for them it's the only type of international travel that they do (and while I have a passport book I don't use it to go to Canada). They use a passport card or an EDL (which is issued by only five states). The fact is everyone's travel patterns are different and hence their travel documentation needs are different. Some can use a government issued ID and birth certificate to meet their travel needs. Others can use a passport card to meet their travel needs. And others use a passport book to meet their travel needs. Yes, the passport book is the king of the travel world and with it one can travel anywhere (as long as one has the time and money to do so), but the regulations permit the use of other documentation under certain situations if it meets the traveler's needs.

14 hours ago, Sara250 said:

Wow so kind

You really don't like any form of help outside of your question, do you? Jeez...recommending the search function was a great recommendation as this is addressed a lot and you probably would have found your answer immediately. Not everyone is out to get you, some people actually are attempting to help, it just goes slightly outside of the narrow question you asked.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I know a lot of business people in my border community that would scoff at the idea of using a passport for crossing into Canada since for them it's the only type of international travel that they do........

Perhaps I should have been more specific: "Intercontinental" business travelers....

Having been bicoastal during our professional lives - New York (incl upstate work) and California (incl SoCal work) - we have passport cards (in addition to actual passports) for all of the obvious reasons. Ninetheless, depending on the circumstances, it's easy for us to forget that Canada and Mexico are "foreign." 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Perhaps I should have been more specific: "Intercontinental" business travelers....

Having been bicoastal during our professional lives - New York (incl upstate work) and California (incl SoCal work) - we have passport cards (in addition to actual passports) for all of the obvious reasons. Ninetheless, depending on the circumstances, it's easy for us to forget that Canada and Mexico are "foreign." 

And for intercontinental business trips one would need a passport. I wouldn't classify cruise ship travel to islands in the Caribbean (or to the Bahamas or Bermuda) as "intercontinental". 

Edited by sparks1093