Is this Power strip OK on Celebrity??

Dom G

This will be our first cruise on Celebrity and my first cruise in at least 12 years. I read a Cruise Critic article on packing tips and they said to bring along a NON-power surge power strip and had a link to one on Amazon. I purchased the exact one they recommended. Now I am reading in the forums that no power strips are allowed. Can anyone offer some guidance? I don't want to bring it if it is going to be confiscated.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

I brought an old fashioned power strip on the Equinox this past December and it was confiscated from my carry on bag. They give you a slip to pick it up at the end of the cruise. Maybe they wouldn't have seen it in my checked bag, I'm not sure. Good luck.

1 hour ago, Dom G said:

This will be our first cruise on Celebrity and my first cruise in at least 12 years. I read a Cruise Critic article on packing tips and they said to bring along a NON-power surge power strip and had a link to one on Amazon. I purchased the exact one they recommended. Now I am reading in the forums that no power strips are allowed. Can anyone offer some guidance? I don't want to bring it if it is going to be confiscated.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

I used this exact same one on my recent Celebrity Summit cruise and I carried it on without a problem!

• Like 1

From what I hear the policing of these in carry-on luggage is done by the folks at the port.   Also, if there is no power cord they will rarely take it from you.   As for packing it in luggage, it will probably require a visit to the "naughty room" and they will confiscate it.   (Try to get something without surge and without a cord).

The security at the port are 3rd party contractors who often work for various cruise companies and sometimes at the airport. They can't possibly remember all the different rules for the different venues. I have often seen, for example, things confiscated at RCL check in which were not actually against RCL rules because the rent-a-security person at that line was going by Carnival rules. (Evidently Carnival rents out approved strips... whatever). It's a crap shoot. I have also asked to see a supervisor from RCL to confirm that the item is OK, but they'll make you sit and wait for one and really don't like to over rule security, even when they're wrong. 

The best solution is to not put ANY questionable items in your carry on luggage.   As long as the item isn't shaped like an iron, gun or a bottle of wine, it will probably make it through (x-ray) checked luggage. If you get called to the naughty room for 

'illegal' items you can plead your case, point out the safety features on the package, whatever, but unless you're a really good litigator you will probably lose. Suck it up and move on.  You will get it back at the end of the cruise. 

• Like 1

I typically request an extension cord for use with my CPAP--since the only available plug is most often across the cabin...

I never pack an extension cord.  I do, however, pack this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlets-Go-USB/dp/B008MF40F6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=monster+power+outlet+to+go&qid=1556162070&s=electronics&sr=1-1

image.thumb.png.d2ae741851f8f7184db931ccd913848f.png

No surge protection, 3 outlets (there's 2 more on the opposite side from this  photo), 2 USB ports...no cord...

But...this happened to me on my last Celebrity cruise:

I checked my luggage in with the porters--my regular suitcase AND my carry-on containing my CPAP...

My luggage came to my cabin, my carry-on didn't.  No message or note from Celebrity...so I just assumed it was late.  Finally, when we got to later in the evening, I went to the guest relations desk to inquire.  They suggested checking with the "naughty room".  I went...and, lo and behold, they had my bag...They told me that I had an illegal extension cord!

Turns out, these fools x-rayed my bag and saw the CPAP cord--the one that's part of the machine and needed to plug it in TO the socket or extension cord...They never opened the bag to inspect--just someone at the x-ray saw a cord inside the bag and detoured it to the naughty room...and then, neglected to let me know it was there...Major hassle...

Edited by Bruin Steve

13 hours ago, Dom G said:

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

From my experience, there is a real good chance it will be confiscated.  When we were leaving the terminal in Miami, there were several tables of confiscated items.  They included surge protectors, irons, electrical devices of various types, etc.   Looked like a flea market.   I believe anything with a cord will be available at the end of  your cruise.  Not worth the hassle...

when we were dropping our bags off for our Solstice cruise in Sydney last year 2 guys were holding up power multiboxes saying "if you have one of these in your luggage, please remove it - or it will be confiscated"

we didn't have one so we were fine

9 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I typically request an extension cord for use with my CPAP--since the only available plug is most often across the cabin...

I never pack an extension cord.  I do, however, pack this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlets-Go-USB/dp/B008MF40F6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=monster+power+outlet+to+go&qid=1556162070&s=electronics&sr=1-1

image.thumb.png.d2ae741851f8f7184db931ccd913848f.png

No surge protection, 3 outlets (there's 2 more on the opposite side from this  photo), 2 USB ports...no cord...

But...this happened to me on my last Celebrity cruise:

I checked my luggage in with the porters--my regular suitcase AND my carry-on containing my CPAP...

My luggage came to my cabin, my carry-on didn't.  No message or note from Celebrity...so I just assumed it was late.  Finally, when we got to later in the evening, I went to the guest relations desk to inquire.  They suggested checking with the "naughty room".  I went...and, lo and behold, they had my bag...They told me that I had an illegal extension cord!

Turns out, these fools x-rayed my bag and saw the CPAP cord--the one that's part of the machine and needed to plug it in TO the socket or extension cord...They never opened the bag to inspect--just someone at the x-ray saw a cord inside the bag and detoured it to the naughty room...and then, neglected to let me know it was there...Major hassle...

They will rarely open any bags which is why you need to go there in person and open the bag in front of them.

4 hours ago, keesar said:

From my experience, there is a real good chance it will be confiscated.  When we were leaving the terminal in Miami, there were several tables of confiscated items.  They included surge protectors, irons, electrical devices of various types, etc.   Looked like a flea market.   I believe anything with a cord will be available at the end of  your cruise.  Not worth the hassle...

I have this exact one and it got confiscated on my trip on symphony of the seas in March. 

Well this question has been more than sufficiently answered.

I saw on another review from an Equinox cruise, that the room CURRENTLY has 2 US outlets and 1 European outlet.  I have a plug converter for Europe, so that makes 3 outlets. That should be plenty. And I heard rumors that after the Revolution, USB ports may be added. 

So no need to bring the power cord for the cruise. I'll just throw it in my carry on that I use for business to make those old hotel rooms more electronics friendly.

Edited by Dom G

37 minutes ago, Dom G said:

I saw on another review from an Equinox cruise, that the room CURRENTLY has 2 US outlets and 1 European outlet.  I have a plug converter for Europe, so that makes 3 outlets. That should be plenty.

Years ago, three outlets were WAY more than enough...

Nowadays, I have an iPhone, an iPad, a Fitbit and Digital Camera batteries--all which need recharging--often at the same time.  My wife has the same.  I also travel with my CPAP--which needs to be plugged in as well.  My wife often wants to plug in the hairdryer and dry her hair out in the main cabin.  That's as many as TEN outlets needed.  Sure, we could sit around the cabin, plugging and unplugging everything and spread out the usage...but, often, all that recharging needs to occur when we make it back from port...and finish before we head out to dinner...The current age of electronics requires a lot of places to plug in...

In addition to the number of outlets, I really wish they would add at least one US outlet on the side of the cabin with the bed--for those of us with CPAP machines--it would alleviate the need for an extension cord--and reduce the hazard from both electrical shorts and tripping.  On my last Millennium cruise, I disregarded the extension cord--and merely unplugged the bedside lamp (which uses a European plug) and used an adapter to plug it in...But had to go an entire 14 night cruise without the use of a bedside lamp...

5 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Years ago, three outlets were WAY more than enough...

Nowadays, I have an iPhone, an iPad, a Fitbit and Digital Camera batteries--all which need recharging--often at the same time.  My wife has the same.  I also travel with my CPAP--which needs to be plugged in as well.  My wife often wants to plug in the hairdryer and dry her hair out in the main cabin.  That's as many as TEN outlets needed.  Sure, we could sit around the cabin, plugging and unplugging everything and spread out the usage...but, often, all that recharging needs to occur when we make it back from port...and finish before we head out to dinner...The current age of electronics requires a lot of places to plug in...

In addition to the number of outlets, I really wish they would add at least one US outlet on the side of the cabin with the bed--for those of us with CPAP machines--it would alleviate the need for an extension cord--and reduce the hazard from both electrical shorts and tripping.  On my last Millennium cruise, I disregarded the extension cord--and merely unplugged the bedside lamp (which uses a European plug) and used an adapter to plug it in...But had to go an entire 14 night cruise without the use of a bedside lamp...

If you contact the special needs dept at 866-592-7225 they will arrange for the needed extension cord for your CPAP as well as a gallon of distilled water.   and, if, for some reason it is not in the cabin when you arrive let your room steward know and he will get it for you.  

42 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

I’ve used this device on two recent cruises, one of which was on Equinox, without issue.

LOL. I don’t mind following their rules, but it appears the rule is selectively enforced. And this one should be exempt as there isn’t a surge protector. I’ll wait and see what is reported after the revolution.  If there are USB ports added, this really won’t be needed. 

For all the phones, tablets, watches, power banks, and even my camera, I got  a 6 ports USB charger that only use up one plug. I also have one with 4 USB ports and built-in international adapter. So 3 plugs are sufficient for me.