Cruise Critic Community
Grover_

Where Is your dining assignment listed on booking?

I am booked on my first Holland America cruise in June on the Veendam.  When I booked I was waitlisted for early dining.  I tried to find my dining assignment in my booking information on Holland America’s website, but I don’t see it anywhere.

I usually sail on Princess, so I am used to their cruise personalizer where this information is available on the booking online.  Is it on Holland America’s online system somewhere or do I have to call to find out if I cleared the waitlist?  I booked directly through Holland America (not TA) if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help!

It's on your confirmation sheet from HAL but I don't believe it's listed anywhere online. As for the waitlist, you likely won't find out until you get on the ship (this happened with us on Veendam as well and we did end up with a table in early dining). Your dining info will be printed on your key card. You might try contacting the ship services coordinator for your ship 4-6 weeks ahead of your cruise and ask them to check on this for you.

Our dining time has always been listed on our confirmation papers that we get from our TA.

Don't know when your cruise is, but more than likely you will not find out until you are on the ship what your dining time is.  But you certainly can still call HAL and ask what your situation is.

Once you check in at the terminal and you see your assignment, if you don't like what you have been assigned, check the Daily program to see what time and where you can meet with the maitre'd  to see about getting something you like.

Your dining information should be on your final docs, first page of the boarding pass document. It should show early, late, or open (not sure what word they use for open). If you made a request for a specific table size it will say that, too. Like "Table for 6 on request."

Keep checking in with your HAL agent, we had the same issue being waitlisted and after a phone call about another issue I asked to check the dining and we received our late dining slot, table for 2.  The verbiage appears in the area in your DOC's under Special Requests.  Your room card you receive at check-in has your table number and dining option printed on it.

We received the email today saying that our cruise docs were ready. After completing check-in and downloading the docs, I noticed that they had us requesting a table for 4 rather than a table for 2, which we always request and was reflected on our TA's booking confirmation. The TA contacted HAL to have them make the necessary correction. Now we'll wait to see what we get when we embark. 

Thank you!

I downloaded and printed my documents and it was there on the first page.  Unfortunately it says open instead of early, so I guess we will see if it can be changed on the ship.

5 hours ago, Grover_ said:

Thank you!

I downloaded and printed my documents and it was there on the first page.  Unfortunately it says open instead of early, so I guess we will see if it can be changed on the ship.

So when that happened to us, it still had us as open dining on our docs printed a day or two before departure and since it was only a seven day cruise, it wasn't a huge deal to us. So we show up for open dining at opening time and that's when they showed us on our keycard that we had in fact been assigned to early dining. So definitely check the keycard first, and if it still says open on that, then go speak to the maitre d' and see if you can change it. 

And we requested open seating, table for 4 for our family on a cruise last year--but our boarding passes said late dining with a table number. Checked out the table which was in a great location so we kept it even though we had several specialty dining reservations. Need to find that table number for our cruise on the same ship this summer and see if I can request it....

18 hours ago, oceanmom said:

And we requested open seating, table for 4 for our family on a cruise last year--but our boarding passes said late dining with a table number. Checked out the table which was in a great location so we kept it even though we had several specialty dining reservations. Need to find that table number for our cruise on the same ship this summer and see if I can request it....

Go to halfacts dot com.  You can download the main dining room table layouts for both levels for any HAL ship.  It is a PDF and you can see the table numbers.   We do this 6 months out from our cruise, and make up a list of around 10 tables that would work for us.  (we always select fixed dining, late seating).   Then we e-mail that list and our booking number to the particular Ship Coordinator for the ship we are on.  You can get the e-mail address for each ship's coordinator from Ship's Services.  We have always received one of our top 3 selected tables.   Your table will not show on your cruise-docs.  But it will be printed on your keycard when you get to the port.   If you do get a table reservation approved from the ship's coordinator,  print it out and take it with you.