Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

This from the RC Press Center is definitely a typo as Meyer Turku will have to work faster than whop speed to deliver her this fall. 😀

“The first of the revolutionary Icon Class is set to make its debut in fall 2021, and it will make waves with a mix of innovations and adventures cruising’s never seen before.”

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

In the latest business statement.

Richard Fain said Galveston will be built to take Icon.

From Cruise Industry News
“….It will be able to accommodate Oasis class ships as well as the new Icon class”

So not specifically Icon but then again you never know with Royal. 😀

2 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

From Cruise Industry News
“….It will be able to accommodate Oasis class ships as well as the new Icon class”

So not specifically Icon but then again you never know with Royal. 😀

No not specifically for Icon.

But from what I understand there’s LNG available.

It’s looking like port Canaveral and /or Galveston?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 10:19 PM, Tall-Cruiser said:

-

During a very long car drive today I thought that I would look back at the other class of ship by Royal Caribbean ship that I followed from its first ship... Quantum-class & Quantum of the Seas. I scrolled through most of the thread(!!) and enjoyed checking out the photos. I had just been talking about original concepts for ships like this one and was looking for an image from one of the architect firms of the original concept for Two70. It looked like a capsule hanging off the back of the ship, Do you remember this? Anyhow, I didn't see that image during my scroll through (I may have missed it of course).

Do you or anyone else remember that image?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

Darn it. So many questions, especially about the size. We don't even know that. 

Yup, we do. 😎

The Icon of the Seas is indeed bigger than the present Oasis-class ships at ~ 245,000 GT, and a bit wider at the water line, and longer by one shuffleboard table. 

A capacity of about 5600 passengers & 2500 crew as has been mentioned before.

And now that you have that information...

4DD42EFC9DEE4049B4F2C44325D1819B.png.7f41764ed957706dd5d8121489507f05.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

Yup, we do. 😎

The Icon of the Seas is indeed bigger than the present Oasis-class ships at ~ 245,000 GT, and a bit wider at the water line, and longer by one shuffleboard table. 

A capacity of about 5600 passengers & 2500 crew as has been mentioned before.

And now that you have that information...

4DD42EFC9DEE4049B4F2C44325D1819B.png.7f41764ed957706dd5d8121489507f05.png

So you were able to confirm it.

By the way, shuffleboard tables range in size from 9 to 22 feet in length. 😛

1 hour ago, Lloyd555 said:

Yup, we do. 😎

Oh wow so they did make her bigger with 245.000 GT. So by the time the third one is built it could be bigger than 250k GT just like each Oasis ship got slightly bigger than the one before.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

During a very long car drive today I thought that I would look back at the other class of ship by Royal Caribbean ship that I followed from its first ship... Quantum-class & Quantum of the Seas. I scrolled through most of the thread(!!) and enjoyed checking out the photos. I had just been talking about original concepts for ships like this one and was looking for an image from one of the architect firms of the original concept for Two70. It looked like a capsule hanging off the back of the ship, Do you remember this? Anyhow, I didn't see that image during my scroll through (I may have missed it of course).

Do you or anyone else remember that image?

Yes indeed I remember those images. Those were the days.😀

Edit - I look through some of the images I had saved but could not find that one. I must have deleted it with several others I had on my iPad at the time. I would have been around the time I kept these instead.

F07670AE-0787-4BF6-992C-BD54B4164C73.jpeg

97395AF6-9E63-4753-92B4-9A5C3CF1BF18.jpeg

Edited by Tall-Cruiser
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Yes indeed I remember those images. Those were the days.😀

Edit - I look through some of the images I had saved but could not find that one. I must have deleted it with several others I had on my iPad at the time. I would have been around the time I kept these instead.

I found an old USB with Quantum related items saved on it. There are some images from the architect firms 5+ Design & Wilson Butler, but not that Two70 pod. 😞 
I asked because, if they are incorporating Quantum-class features in the new Icon-class ships, I wondered if they would use a version of that original design. 

As for the size of the ship, I have to say I wouldn't of minded if it was somewhere between the Quantum-class and the Oasis-class.

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

I found an old USB with Quantum related items saved on it. There are some images from the architect firms 5+ Design & Wilson Butler, but not that Two70 pod. 😞 
I asked because, if they are incorporating Quantum-class features in the new Icon-class ships, I wondered if they would use a version of that original design. 

As for the size of the ship, I have to say I wouldn't of minded if it was somewhere between the Quantum-class and the Oasis-class.

Yeah I am somewhat surprised that they went bigger than Oasis Class. It will then basically go/fit into the same ports as Oasis class.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Yeah I am somewhat surprised that they went bigger than Oasis Class. It will then basically go/fit into the same ports as Oasis class.

I can't even begin to imagine physically seeing Icon that much bigger than Oasis class. Oasis is already so big.

1 hour ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Both the GT and berths could somewhat misleading. Wonder is at 5,700 (so "bigger" than Icon) and while "only" about 230K GT, that excludes the outdoor portion of Boardwalk and Central Park. If that was enclosed, you'd likely be "bigger" than Icon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Both the GT and berths could somewhat misleading. Wonder is at 5,700 (so "bigger" than Icon) and while "only" about 230K GT, that excludes the outdoor portion of Boardwalk and Central Park. If that was enclosed, you'd likely be "bigger" than Icon.

When I heard that the Icon was going to be of more gross tonnage (I'm trying not to say bigger), I assumed that it would have open areas in the center similar to the Oasis ships.

• Thanks 1