Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

• 1 month later...

This is a screen capture from this video: https://ljsp.lwcdn.com/api/video/embed.jsp?id=b30bf78d-ffd8-4159-8721-71b0e38f075d&pi=b95403e9-126f-477c-ab02-c9ad3251803e

image.png.a0e1e0a2384b02846f186e808651bec6.png

Mardi Gras is obvious in the foreground, and I assume that's Costa Toscana (was due at the end of 2021) in the background. Where are all those Icon blocks going?

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

This is a screen capture from this video: https://ljsp.lwcdn.com/api/video/embed.jsp?id=b30bf78d-ffd8-4159-8721-71b0e38f075d&pi=b95403e9-126f-477c-ab02-c9ad3251803e

image.png.a0e1e0a2384b02846f186e808651bec6.png

Mardi Gras is obvious in the foreground, and I assume that's Costa Toscana (was due at the end of 2021) in the background. Where are all those Icon blocks going?

I'm keeping an eye out for them. Probably moved to the back end of the yard.

FB_IMG_1597218156943.thumb.jpg.9e25924e46cbb30a6b1815f27dcda8fc.jpg

FB_IMG_1597217958250.thumb.jpg.2bdd01f71393f4c2ed7a5d75ab8d33ef.jpg

FB_IMG_1597217739329.thumb.jpg.874e9eda93b492f406d0ed251b1b9f46.jpg

I assume this have an impact on the timing of Icon class releases:

Shipbuilder Meyer Turku has announced that it will layoff 166 workers, split between 80 office jobs and 86 yard jobs.

Due to the production schedules of the shipyard the negotiations concerning outfitting, design and HR functions will continue and will be finished during this year, the yard announced.

The yard said the pandemic has changed landscape of cruise operation and shipbuilding drastically.

In April Meyer Turku announced the objective to stretch out the orderbook reaching to 2025 and to secure work for 2025 and 2026. At the same time, the Meyer Turku started negotiations to permanently layoff 450 people.

With the layoffs, Meyer Turku will also start a transition program where it will offer personal guidance, support and specialized training to ease the transition.

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever happened to Royal Caribbean's future cabin? Think that we'll see it in Icon-class?

"A concept for future staterooms imagines floors, ceilings and walls that can change to create a “choose your own environment” capability as seen at Royal Caribbean’s Sea Beyond event at Duggal Greenhouse at the Brooklyn Navy Yard on Wednesday Nov. 8, 2017, in Brooklyn, New York. (Photo by Diane Bondareff/ Invision for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd./AP Images)"

FB_IMG_1599492436840.thumb.jpg.7634a75773a29f82ba4d360907609091.jpg

FB_IMG_1599492440996.thumb.jpg.a138cf33ef7b64f553ddb6be7e02176d.jpg

15 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

Whatever happened to Royal Caribbean's future cabin? Think that we'll see it in Icon-class?

Likely docked next to the warehouse where they store all those concept cars we see at automotive trade shows that never make it into production.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

@Lloyd555
I know icon is powered by LNG but weren’t they looking at fuel cell technology.

I’ve been reading up on ammonia fuel cells which is expected to fuel ships in the future.

https://safety4sea.com/cm-the-case-of-ammonia-as-a-marine-fuel/

I thought I read that Icon would have some limited use of fuel-cells possibly in a secondary role as the technology evolves.  While one day an entire ship might be powered by fuel cells, I don't think the technology is there yet.  

https://www.rclcorporate.com/rcl-announces-two-new-ships-powered-by-lng-and-fuel-cells/

"Next year, RCL will begin testing fuel cells as a supplemental energy source aboard an existing ship in preparation for use on the Project Icon vessels. Those ships are to be delivered in the second quarters of 2022 and 2024."

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

I thought I read that Icon would have some limited use of fuel-cells possibly in a secondary role as the technology evolves.  While one day an entire ship might be powered by fuel cells, I don't think the technology is there yet.  

https://www.rclcorporate.com/rcl-announces-two-new-ships-powered-by-lng-and-fuel-cells/

"Next year, RCL will begin testing fuel cells as a supplemental energy source aboard an existing ship in preparation for use on the Project Icon vessels. Those ships are to be delivered in the second quarters of 2022 and 2024."

So according to that, they should’ve been testing fuel cells as early as 2017. Have we seen anything to suggest they actually did?

12 minutes ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

So according to that, they should’ve been testing fuel cells as early as 2017. Have we seen anything to suggest they actually did?

I thought the same thing.  Maybe that was a good intention or maybe they are doing it but keeping it quiet so people don't misunderstand testing a new technology on a limited scale.  

27 minutes ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

No they never did... I think one of the Oasis class ships was supposed to test. This never happened. Then it was officially announced for Icon class. Meyer is working on it for years.

steamboats

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

No they never did... I think one of the Oasis class ships was supposed to test. This never happened. Then it was officially announced for Icon class. Meyer is working on it for years.

steamboats

Don't some Oasis ships have solar panels

25 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Don't some Oasis ships have solar panels

Yes, both Oasis and Allure die have solar panels. I think they've removed the ones of the Oasis during the last dry dock. I was told that the solar panels provide enough energy to operate the elevators.

steamboats

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I thought the same thing.  Maybe that was a good intention or maybe they are doing it but keeping it quiet so people don't misunderstand testing a new technology on a limited scale.  

Well, the technology is already there but like LNG it’s not really practical yet.

Our government seems to think we are going to be the Saudi Arabia of the future with hydrogen produced from solar and wind.We have lots of that and the push is on .

Hydrogen is less practical than LNG as it’s difficult to transport and store compared to oil products.

BUT ammonia is the answer to all our problems.The same ammonia as you clean your bathroom with,I use a cough mixture with it.
Beirut know all about ammonia.      You can put in a Diesel engine.

Hydrogen is made by cracking water with solar electricity.

One nitrogen molecule is added to 3 hydrogen molecules and makes ammonia.
It can be transported in a bucket if you want.

On the ship the the ammonia is cracked in a fuel cell to remove the nitrogen and there’s your fuel.

Easy if you say it quickly.

• 2 weeks later...