Cruise Critic Community
GeezerCouple

Do Travel Agents still get commissions when trip is cancelled?

We canceled a cruise a few days before sailing, can we assume the travel agent got her commission?

2 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

We canceled a cruise a few days before sailing, can we assume the travel agent got her commission?

From what I am reading on these boards  probably NOT,  

On 4/28/2019 at 1:05 PM, LHT28 said:

sorry  slow day here & in CC withdrawal 😉

My TA says NO they are not paid a commission if cancelled  before the cruise

I feel bad because a couple of years ago we had to cancel the day before   a B2B

I like others just assumed  they would still get paid by Oceania

JMO

It's also the opinion of anyone with a sense of decency.

I’m at a loss here. How exactly are the employment and compensation agreement between the Agency and the Agent any of the cruiser’s business? Is the Agent in a salaried position, a total commission position, or a hybrid? If commision, one can easily learn by googling the issue that cruise line commission payouts are on a sliding scale and not fixed. All of that must go into any answer.

if one feels it necessary to know the details of THEIR Agent’s compensation then my advice is for them to talk to THEIR Agent and see if THEIR Agent wants to share that information. Those of us here haven’t a clue. 

ok   I will add three  ideas  to share

If your agent paid the net for you and not the gross, there is no commission

or if you agent is not independent then they are relying on the host agency to pay them it might not happen  or  if they did owe the cruise line commission when something was canceled prior to 100% penalty they might owe that money

Maybe the term should  be agency  & not  agent

So to rephrase  does Oceania still pay the AGENCY  when someone in full penalty phase cancels??

Some people asked their agents & the answer was no  but seems at least one agent/agency does get the commission

If in  doubt ask your agent

JMO

UPDATE:

Our TA has notified us that the commission HAS been received.

Not sure yet if it might be clawed back, but I'll report if I hear that it has been.

Timing seems to be that we cancelled within the 100% penalty (that we knew!), but before the commission was actually received, but we don't have the exact timing, nor is that our business.

We are just *very* relieved that the commission was indeed received.

Let's just hope it stays that way...

GC

On 4/25/2019 at 8:49 AM, GeezerCouple said:

When a cruise is cancelled during the 100% penalty period shortly before sailing, meaning 100% is kept by the cruise line, do Travel Agents still get their commission?

(This is specifically an Oceania-based question in this particular instance, with our "almost" Med cruise, which was cancelled very late, due to 98 yo MIL being rushed to the ER with heart trouble.  And yes, she's had remarkably good health until now, including still being sharp as a tack.)

It seems that if the vendor is keeping ALL of "our" money, the regular/full commission should still be paid to the agent...?

Are there any travel agents here who can speak from experience, rather than guessing?

Thanks.

GC

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I’m at a loss here. How exactly are the employment and compensation agreement between the Agency and the Agent any of the cruiser’s business? Is the Agent in a salaried position, a total commission position, or a hybrid? If commision, one can easily learn by googling the issue that cruise line commission payouts are on a sliding scale and not fixed. All of that must go into any answer.

if one feels it necessary to know the details of THEIR Agent’s compensation then my advice is for them to talk to THEIR Agent and see if THEIR Agent wants to share that information. Those of us here haven’t a clue. 

A big problem in this world that a lot of people do not have a clue and go thru life that way and it is O.K.  Too bad for them. 

On 4/26/2019 at 1:47 AM, pinotlover said:

I can see where all this can swiftly go. 

If I cancel during the 100% cancellation period, does my TA get paid, therefore should I get my rebate check from my TA

If one’s rebate check is greater than their travel insurance it can become a money making deal!

I’ll leave these policies and discussions alone!

That is a very good point. We have a TA that gives us 11% off of our O cruise fare. If O did pay the commission to the TA, even if cancellation was within the 100% penalty phase, would we still get that 11% in the form of a rebate check? I like it!

13 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If O did pay the commission to the TA, even if cancellation was within the 100% penalty phase, would we still get that 11% in the form of a rebate check? I like it!

Have you asked your TA?

That would be lucrative  if you did  plus if your insurance covered the  cruise fare

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Have you asked your TA?

That would be lucrative  if you did  plus if your insurance covered the  cruise fare

If we ever run into this issue, we just might. But for know I’ll assume we get nothing as probably is the case for our TA as well.