Cruise Critic Community
RMS Olympic

Spring Break concerns?

I would like to know if Princess Caribbean cruises are impacted by the spring break period. I have heard lines like Carnival and NCL are loaded with spring breakers and the onboard experience gets a bit out of hand. Has anyone experienced issues on Princess ship?

Thanks

We are cruising the first week of June on the Caribbean, I'd love to know if I should expect a ton of kids? Part of the reason we chose Princess is because the crowd is supposedly a bit older. We are in our mid 30's but like the quiet that comes with a more mature crowd. 

19 minutes ago, RMS Olympic said:

I would like to know if Princess Caribbean cruises are impacted by the spring break period. I have heard lines like Carnival and NCL are loaded with spring breakers and the onboard experience gets a bit out of hand. Has anyone experienced issues on Princess ship?

Thanks

10 day or longer single cruises, most likely no spring breakers on board. 7 day cruises you may find some. College students generally don't have the funds nor the time for longer cruises.

Posted (edited)

It is "tweens" that drive me crazy over spring breaks on Princess. Parents don't supervise tweens well enough and they have a run of the ship and often don't participate in organized teen clubs

College students do have the funds but are not interested in Princess. I work with college students and they do spend $$$ on spring breaks. They are often limited to 7 days though.

Edited by Coral

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, dearinger said:

We are cruising the first week of June on the Caribbean, I'd love to know if I should expect a ton of kids? Part of the reason we chose Princess is because the crowd is supposedly a bit older. We are in our mid 30's but like the quiet that comes with a more mature crowd. 

You probably will find families with children. Any time school is not in session there are families on board. Princess as improved the Caribbean Princess to make it more kid friendly, but no water slides, surfing, rock walls, zip line, etc. There are two pools on the Caribbean Princess, Terrace Pool & Lap Pool, that are for adults. The main Lido pools will probably be dominated by children. Also, you don't see many youth around in the lounges. No children in the sanctuary, fee involved. Book soon after you board on boarding day. Skywalker's is for 18 and over.

Edited by skynight

Our first cruise ever was a spring break to Mexico.....took the entire family including gramma......it was way less $$$ than a land based Hawaii which I was researching at the time.  The year was 2005 on the Diamond and there were 800 children on board with our then 10 year old twin sons.  So yes,  Princess does get folks on board for spring break......I would think more families and not the college crowd......they would go with other lines for obvious reasons.

2 hours ago, RMS Olympic said:

Thanks

There was a long recent thread on spring break I saw in the last week or 2.

Tried to find it and came across this discussion from January........

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2620766-spring-break-cruise/?tab=comments#comment-56491560

3 hours ago, skynight said:

10 day or longer single cruises, most likely no spring breakers on board. 7 day cruises you may find some. College students generally don't have the funds nor the time for longer cruises.

Our 10 day spring break cruise on a smaller Princess ship had over 700 kids.  Can't remember the exact number now, but ANY time you cruise in March or April, you can expect a lot of kids.  Yes, it'll be quieter and more tame than a Carnival or RCI cruise but not by as much as you'd think.

The college age breakers are usually found on shorter cruises (3-5 days) even on Princess.  Longer cruises will have families and children once school is out.

8 hours ago, RMS Olympic said:

Thanks

We cruise spring break every year, and while there are lots of kids on board, we hang out in the adults only areas and it's never been an issue.

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

We cruise spring break every year, and while there are lots of kids on board, we hang out in the adults only areas and it's never been an issue.

It has been a problem for me when they are throwing food in the dining room and eating on the floor of the elevator.

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

It has been a problem for me when they are throwing food in the dining room and eating on the floor of the elevator.

For sure.   🙁

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I guess I haven't experienced that, but yeah, it would be unfortunate.  Blame the parents. 

1 hour ago, Coral said:

21 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I guess I haven't experienced that, but yeah, it would be unfortunate.  Blame the parents. 

Which is why you couldn't pay me enough to cruise from Ft Lauderdale (or Miami) the week that the public schools have their Spring Recess down here.

I've been on one Princess cruise with a surprising number of college-age passengers: in mid August right before they head back to campus. Saw no breaches of the peace other than loud conversations outside their cabins. They ate almost exclusively hamburgers/hot dogs/pizza slices or room service (there were huge piles of dishes outside many cabins all week) so MDR breakfast, sea day lunch, and ATD had no waits and excellent service. The shows, Captains Circle party, and P/E/S disembarkation lounge were practically deserted by normal Princess standards. No problem finding a lounger at the Lotus Spa/Lap pool--no loud music or bar service there.

During the weeks leading up to Easter there will be large families with many kids even on cruises longer than seven days. But those longer cruises are your best bet to avoid the college crowd that tends to book the shortest cruise they can find with a beverage package available. (You would be surprised how many group bookings from college town TAs end up on the weekend cruises from Miami on Celebrity which does not have the spring break blackout period for alcohol packages that NCL does).

So either take a longer (10 day or more) cruise at least a month before Easter, or wait until after. Should your schedule not permit and you have no choice but to sail during the peaks, just be prepared to go with the flow. Hopefully not of bodily fluids.:classic_ohmy:

I have been on several cruises during school vacation week since DH is a teacher. FL schools are out either the 3rd or 4th week of March. We were on the CB the week of 3/22.  There were lots of families but I did not find the number of kids to be overwhelming.   When we lived elsewhere and the vacation was the week before or after Easter it was much more crowded. Was on the Norwegian Sun in 2010 and it was awful....no adult pool, no hope of getting in a hot tub....kids everywhere.   The Crown the same week a few years later was full. but didn’t have a big impact on our cruise.  Princess having adult pools is a big plus to us.

We had quite  youthful group onboard the Royal to Mexico a couple week short ago.  Lots of teens, kids, et cet.  Some babies.  I felt like I was Royal Caribbean more than Princess.  Lots of fun people vs the usual subdued atmosphere on most Princess Cruises we’ve been on. 

I been on several Spring break cruises but mostly I had my kids with me...overall the kids on the ship are well behaved and listen if you catch them in the "act" Even the college age adults can get pretty wild , but if you mention they are hogging the hot tub they always make room for another...not....

I think on RCI, Oasis once we had 1800 kids on Princess the most has been about 900. Yes each one close to 1/3 the guests.

2 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

We had quite  youthful group onboard the Royal to Mexico a couple week short ago.  Lots of teens, kids, et cet.  Some babies.  I felt like I was Royal Caribbean more than Princess.  Lots of fun people vs the usual subdued atmosphere on most Princess Cruises we’ve been on. 

We had a great mix too on a 5 day Cabo in Feb.. I love the guests on mega RCI ships often new cruisers who are excited to be on board, like a Princess Alaska cruise with many newbies...an upbeat feeling on the ship.

We did a five day on Princess in the middle of spring break.  No kids on board at all but when we docked at a port with a Carnival ship, there was no end to the partying ashore!  We just returned to our balcony and had a great time there.

On 4/25/2019 at 8:54 AM, dearinger said:

You can call Princess 2-3 weeks prior to your cruise and they will tell you how many kids are onboard up to that point and break down the age groups.  

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

You can call Princess 2-3 weeks prior to your cruise and they will tell you how many kids are onboard up to that point and break down the age groups.  

I did call within that timeframe and the woman on the phone stated that it was confidential information, and I pressed the issue with her and told her that lots of people  on Cruise Critic throughout the years have indicated that they’ve ascertained numbers.  I told her I wasn’t asking for names of people, just a general number.  She put me on hold while supposedly contacting a supervisor, but I got interrupted at work and had to hang up.  LOL. 

Ultimately, it really was not that important to me since I was past final payment anyway, nor would I have canceled even if I wasn’t past final payment. I was simply curious, since this was a time period so close to Easter, and I hadn’t factored that in when booking 22 months out, in my excitement to book the Royal for the West Coast.  Haha.  

I figured we were safe sailing two weeks before Easter, and then a month or so ago I realized it was actually a huge spring break week for  kids  up here, but luckily the Los Angeles Area was on break the week after us, so they had the kids. LOL.  

Edited by 4cats4me

11 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

I did call within that timeframe and the woman on the phone stated that it was confidential information, and I pressed the issue with her and told her that lots of people  on Cruise Critic throughout the years have indicated that they’ve ascertained numbers.  I told her I wasn’t asking for names of people, just a general number.  She put me on hold while supposedly contacting a supervisor, but I got interrupted at work and had to hang up.  LOL. 

Ultimately, it really was not that important to me since I was past final payment anyway, nor would I have canceled even if I wasn’t past final payment. I was simply curious, since this was a time period so close to Easter, and I hadn’t factored that in when booking 22 months out, in my excitement to book the Royal for the West Coast.  Haha.  

I figured we were safe sailing two weeks before Easter, and then a month or so ago I realized it was actually a huge spring break week for  kids  up here, but luckily the Los Angeles Area was on break the week after us, so they had the kids. LOL.  

Haha.......I guess finding out that close to the cruise is a moot point anyway.   😳

In another thread along these lines, someone said to google "Crown Princess Brownie Riot". I did, and about five minutes in, I was appalled...This wasn't little kiddos, this was college age. Yikes!!