Not happy with Royal Caribbean's Special Needs Department!

I've cruised a lot on CCL, RCI, Princess and Celebrity. I always ask ahead of time for a cord and distilled water. On ANY of the lines I'd say I have a 50/50 chance of it being there without my asking my room steward. Once I ask, my steward, it's always there in very short order.   

Never would I have thought to spend precious vacation time in the Customer Service line to ask for those items.  Especially that first day when Customer Service (on all the above mentioned cruise lines) is a hot mess.  Also as mentioned, Carnival charges for distilled water. The only one of the 4 that does that.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jordanaire said:

...I went to Guest Services, with the email, to inquire about this. They told me that they didn't have any record of my request. I showed them THEIR email to me and said they still showed no record of it.  I was not happy. They told me that all of these items would be delivered to our cabin by the end of the day (embarkation day). I got the distilled water on Day #3, the Sharpe's container on Day #6 and never did see the extension cord!...

Based on the replies in this thread it sounds like it is the cabin steward’s job to provide these things, but that the email sender stating those items would be in the cabin did not communicate this to the ship. When guest services assured OP those items would be delivered that night either they did not let the steward know, or since the distilled water showed on day 6, they waited a long time to let the cabin steward know and/or s/he waited awhile to meet the request - did guest services send the request via carrier pigeon?

On my RCI cruise last Oct. I saw my cabin steward once - on embarkation day. I saw the other cabin stewards pretty regularly - but never him. I did ask one of the other cabin stewards to ask my steward to toss the by then 2 day old embarkation gift chocolate covered strawberries, she said she’d tell him - finally I tossed them on day 4 and carted the plate to the WJ myself. I don’t know whether he never got the message or did but couldn’t be bothered.

Why didn’t guest services advise OP to ask their cabin steward for the items if that’s the procedure?

Edited by sndral
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Well to be fair, it is really not for snoring, so that others can sleep. It is to correct a reduction in oxygen to the brain and heart, which leads to a reduction in life if not treated. It is not immediately life threatening, but it is certainly not just for snoring convenience. 

I will not get into the lives that have been lost due to lack of quality of sleep, as no one is driving while on a cruise ship. 

Yes, that's the medical reason doctor's prescribe it.  I'm telling you why *I* use it.  

• Like 1

Jordanaire welcome to the Royal Caribbean board were you will find no sympathy if you experienced any problems. All the blame will be place on you by the one cruise line wonders on this board.  If I had contacted special needs and received an email confirming my request I would have expected it to be there. I realize that things happen and  I can accept a mistake or miscommunication but if I went to guest services I would expect that they would be able to solve it in a timely manner. If I have never sailed on a cruise line before I would have never thought to ask the room steward as it is a special need and they do have a department that handles these things.  Also if it were that easy to ask the room steward then guest services should have suggested that you do that.

As far as the size of the ship, well live and learn. Sometimes you can't imagine how large these vessels are and how inconvenient they can be until you sail on them.  I don't know if you utilized the cruise planner before your trip but that is the best way to establish  on board pricing. You have to watch it like a hawk because the prices fluctuated like the stock market. I have to agree that the specialty restaurant prices are quite high on Royal Caribbean. However wifi service is very reasonably priced especially if you prebook during a sale. The price of the deluxe drink package is below the average price of other cruise lines if you can prebook it during a sale. However,  this may not always be the case depending on the ship and itinerary. Royal Caribbean establishes different pricing for each ship and itinerary.  They seem to be doing the same thing with the pricing on Coco Cay's new water park.

I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise. Use this as a learning experience to take with you should you book a different cruise line. I have learned that if I have a special need that hasn't been fullfilled to ask the room steward. Thank you for posting.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, sndral said:

Based on the replies in this thread it sounds like it is the cabin steward’s job to provide these things, but that the email sender stating those items would be in the cabin did not communicate this to the ship. When guest services assured OP those items would be delivered that night either they did not let the steward know, or since the distilled water showed on day 6, they waited a long time to let the cabin steward know and/or s/he waited awhile to meet the request - did guest services send the request via carrier pigeon?

On my RCI cruise last Oct. I saw my cabin steward once - on embarkation day. I saw the other cabin stewards pretty regularly - but never him. I did ask one of the other cabin stewards to ask my steward to toss the by then 2 day old embarkation gift chocolate covered strawberries, she said she’d tell him - finally I tossed them on day 4 and carted the plate to the WJ myself. I don’t know whether he never got the message or did but couldn’t be bothered.

Why didn’t guest services advise OP to ask their cabin steward for the items if that’s the procedure?

I don't always see my cabin steward the first day either. As a matter of fact on Celebrity I left notes for my cabin steward because I didn't see him until mid cruise. The room was clean he even made a towel animal one night. As long as they are doing their job I don't need to have contact with them.  I actually gave him a larger tip than I normally would because he didn't try to suck up to me.

• Like 1

I am sorry that you had these issues. Issues with the extension cord, special water, and sharps container is inexcusable.  

I also think that it is wrong for so many posters to tell you you should’ve asked your cabin attendant instead of guest services  there by putting the responsibility on you. You had arranged to have these items in your cabin, had verification from RCCL that you had done so, and in my opinion, you did the right thing by going to get services.   

With that said, we do usually ask our cabin attendant for any cabin necessity first. If that is not delivered/ satisfied, repaired within 24 hours we go to guest services. You starting with guest services should not have been a problem.  

Regardless of the reason that you needed the items, you asked for them in advance, had confirmation that they would be delivered, and rightfully expected them to be waiting for you. 

Regarding your other issues, I cannot address the size of the ship and how you maneuvered that. The Allure is in the class of Royal Caribbean‘s largest ship. Your travel agent should have explained that to you to make sure that the ship was not overwhelming.    Specialty restaurants have become very expensive. They often run specials depending upon supply and demand.   

I trust you will either try another cruise line, or if you decide cruising is not for you will enjoy land vacations.

Best wishes 

m

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

They didn't take the CPAP cord though right? That is the only one I carry, and there would be a problem if they tried to take that form me. 

No, the one they confiscated was the 6 foot cord we attached to the CPAP machine cord.  I was surprised they recognized it as an extra cord.   

18 hours ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

Did you speak to your room steward? I always ask for a "sharps" container when I get on board (first day) and usually by dinner time I have it.

I suggest that next time you give RCCL a try see if they can provide it for you.

Ah...yes, I did speak to our cabin steward the first time that I saw him, which was on the morning of day #3. I even left a post-it note for him but he never replied until then.

16 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Sorry, I disagree with this.  I use a CPAP machine, for only one reason, but that's to not snore so DW can sleep

Sorry to disagree with YOUR disagreement. My CPAP keeps me alive by making sure my breathing doesn't stop during the night while I sleep. When your doctor tells you that you stopped breathing 754 times during an 8-hour test, then the CPAP becomes a very vital machine for me. Has absolutely nothing to do with snoring with me.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I am sorry that you had these issues. Issues with the extension cord, special water, and sharps container is inexcusable.  

I also think that it is wrong for so many posters to tell you you should’ve asked your cabin attendant instead of guest services  there by putting the responsibility on you. You had arranged to have these items in your cabin, had verification from RCCL that you had done so, and in my opinion, you did the right thing by going to get services.   

With that said, we do usually ask our cabin attendant for any cabin necessity first. If that is not delivered/ satisfied, repaired within 24 hours we go to guest services. You starting with guest services should not have been a problem.  

Regardless of the reason that you needed the items, you asked for them in advance, had confirmation that they would be delivered, and rightfully expected them to be waiting for you. 

Regarding your other issues, I cannot address the size of the ship and how you maneuvered that. The Allure is in the class of Royal Caribbean‘s largest ship. Your travel agent should have explained that to you to make sure that the ship was not overwhelming.    Specialty restaurants have become very expensive. They often run specials depending upon supply and demand.   

I trust you will either try another cruise line, or if you decide cruising is not for you will enjoy land vacations.

Best wishes 

m

Well said. Thank you very much for understanding what I was trying to explain, in order for someone else not to have to experience it for themselves. There's way too much flaming here on these boards, which was set up to help others with questions, answers and other info. It seems as though kindness is a thing of the past these days. When someone promises me that they're going to do something, and provide it in writing, expect it to be done.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bighairtexan said:

I've cruised a lot on CCL, RCI, Princess and Celebrity. I always ask ahead of time for a cord and distilled water. On ANY of the lines I'd say I have a 50/50 chance of it being there without my asking my room steward. Once I ask, my steward, it's always there in very short order.   

Never would I have thought to spend precious vacation time in the Customer Service line to ask for those items.  Especially that first day when Customer Service (on all the above mentioned cruise lines) is a hot mess.  Also as mentioned, Carnival charges for distilled water. The only one of the 4 that does that.  

I spent that time at Guest Services because I NEEDED those items! There's quite a bit of difference between wanting something and needing something. My life depends on my CPAP machine being able to work, and it can't without the extension cord. Yes...I smuggled a cord in, but what would have happened if I hadn't or the one I had was confiscated?

• Like 2

I too "NEED" my CPAP. I WISH I just had Obstructive apnea with snoring. I have Central Sleep Apnea. I essentially forget to breathe. It's NOT a matter of snoring. It's a matter of plunging 02 levels b/c I just don't breathe, elevated heart rate and rapidly rising blood pressure.   So a CPAP is a medical necessity for me too, not a luxury.

However there's no cruise line where I've ever (Platinum on Carnvial, Plat. on Princess, E+ on Celebrity and Diamond on RCI so this is a LOT of "at sea" CPAP use), gone to the Customer service desk to request it.  That's JUSE ME.  I always handled it w/ my steward when they came to introduce themselves and have always gotten the equipment before bedtime on night one. As I said no matter the cruise line and my pre-boarding request for water and a cord, I actually think my previous statement that it would be there 50% of the time when I boarded was optimistic. However I've yet to spend a night on a ship without the use of my CPAP. 

I avoid, for any reason, the Customer Service Lines on Day one (heck on any day) on any ship.  And unless you enjoy spending that time at Cust Serv (and since I don't know you, perhaps you do), I'd insist through my room steward, that it was NEEDED. They do have lists of pre-boarding medical necessity orders that they try to fill prior to boarding but those lists on all lines have been very hit or miss in my experience.  Maybe I've been fortunate, but I've never had a steward refuse or balk about it.  I might get "it's not on my list but I'll get it to you before tonight."   

I'm just not sure shoreside gets the appropriate communication to the ship and then to housekeeping and then to the steward all that well on any line. But since it's usually housekeeping/steward who brings the equipment I skip the middle man and respectfully state my needs to the guy whose going to bring it to me.  Skip the middle man... and time spent in any line.

OP - as a veteran cruiser I'm very surprised you would contact guest services rather than your cabin steward on this or any housekeeping issue.

Have taken my cpap on a number of cruise lines.  Always request the extension cord and water ahead of time, but chance of finding them in cabin at embarkation is 50/50 at best.  Royal is particularly inept.  Fortunately our cabin steward has ALWAYS stopped by on day one to introduce him/her self and see if we need anything.  In addition to ice and lots of extra towels the extension cord and water always materialize later that day.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jordanaire said:

I did speak to our cabin steward the first time that I saw him, which was on the morning of day #3

Your cabin steward should have introduced himself long before then. I think I've seen our cabin steward on embarkation day, usually before dinner, on every one of my cruises.

Wow, so sorry to hear this!  We ALWAYS forget to contact special needs for DH’s distilled water and extension cord, and cabin steward has always been able to provide on the first night.  This has happened since DH got cpap 5 years ago.

Edited by vacationlover_mn

On 4/25/2019 at 2:54 PM, Karma5 said:

as was stated above all you had to do was to request it from your room attendant................Special needs dept is sort of useless

most of the time on this subject...................

I had requested a fridge and sharps container. Neither were in our cabin when we checked in. I asked our cabin steward and he had us looked after before dinner.

I don’t understand how this becomes the room stewards responsibility? I often read replies from  the same people who say to ask the room steward on this thread who also advise people to call the special needs department for extension cords on other threads. Which is it? Once on Princess I requested that the dead light bulb over the desk be replaced. He told me to call maintenance. I would have thought that it would be the room stewards job. I can’t believe that they would have extension cords and distilled water and not a light bulb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don’t understand how this becomes the room stewards responsibility? I often read replies from  the same people who say to ask the room steward on this thread who also advise people to call the special needs department for extension cords on other threads. Which is it? Once on Princess I requested that the dead light bulb over the desk be replaced. He told me to call maintenance. I would have thought that it would be the room stewards job. I can’t believe that they would have extension cords and distilled water and not a light bulb.

They may not want room stewards doing any type of work like that for liability reasons.

8 hours ago, jordanaire said:

Sorry to disagree with YOUR disagreement. My CPAP keeps me alive by making sure my breathing doesn't stop during the night while I sleep. When your doctor tells you that you stopped breathing 754 times during an 8-hour test, then the CPAP becomes a very vital machine for me. Has absolutely nothing to do with snoring with me.

You said "A person uses a CPAP for one reason... to stay alive."  I was simply pointing out there are other reasons people use CPAPs.  If you would have said "I use a CPAP for one reason... " I wouldn't have said anything.  

FWIW, I do think you were wronged by the items you requested not being in your room.  AND by not getting any help from guest services.  To those who say "talk to the cabin attendant",  you KNOW you're going to find someone at guest services.  Sometimes the cabin attendant is off doing other things. 

My first time with my CPAP was last year on the Serenade for 23 days. I did email the Special Needs Dept. prior to my cruise and everything was set up and waiting for me. My room steward had fed the extension cord behind the couch and made sure everything was OK for me. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea, so my use isn’t as critical as some.

I will be on Carnival for 31 days in the fall, and I’m debating calling Special Needs Dept., or just waiting until I board. I do have an extension cord in my CPAP case, and hopefully they don’t take it.

As for the size of ship...the bigger the ship, the less laps I need to get my 10k steps a day in (I will be 68 next month).

I’m sorry for the issues you had, and while this probably isn’t the norm, it is frustrating when you have to deal with it.

21 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't always see my cabin steward the first day either. 

Good point. On several cruises I have had to make a point of going back to the cabin on embarkation day, after dinner, to talk to the steward.

On one cruise I had to got back to the cabin on embarkation day. The cabin steward meet my disabled son on day 3 and my non- disabled son on the last night of the cruise.

The reason I have to speak to the cabin steward is to get the coffee table removed from the cabin. I do request that the coffee table is removed from the cabin on the special needs form but it never is.  

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

the cabin steward  has access to large stash of  extension cords and distilled water as they are common items to be requested.  

light bulbs not so much.  plus I would imagine  maintenance would be more aware of which bulb to use.

as for a sharps container, I have been lucky enough to not need one on board as I time/tweak my  stabbing myself to avoid requiring it on board, but I suppose I would first go down to the bowels of the ship to medical.   In fact, I'd probably go down there with my sharp pointy object and ask if I can just  do it there.  but I only need to do so every other week.

since we sail in suites exclusively, I usually request the water/cord  for mr spook's  CPAP from the concierge.  they seem to be more reliable with communicating the request to housekeeping.  

• Like 1