Cruise Critic Community

In the process of booking a cruise on Harmony for November 24th. TA said our only dining option is traditional 8:00pm. Royal said MTD is closed. It is still over 7 months until the cruise. How can MTD be closed? Is this normal, do I have any other options? Our main concern is missing the night shows as dinner can take up to 2 hrs. Please help! We love the eating in the main dining room!

Tell your servers when you need to leave.  They will make it happen.

20 minutes ago, MNshortie21 said:

In the process of booking a cruise on Harmony for November 24th. TA said our only dining option is traditional 8:00pm. Royal said MTD is closed. It is still over 7 months until the cruise. How can MTD be closed? Is this normal, do I have any other options? Our main concern is missing the night shows as dinner can take up to 2 hrs. Please help! We love the eating in the main dining room!

A lot of people had probably requested MTD before you and they are at the limit.

This happened to us a few years ago when in the UK you had to pre-pay your tips to get MTD.

I still pre- paid our tips as usual anyway for convenience and 2 weeks later MTD appeared on our booking.

I ran into that last year 8 months out. Got seated for late with GF who is early to bed kind. She manned up and since there were basically two shows a night of the ones we wanted to see we really didn't miss anything... 

When that happened to me a wait list option appeared and by the time we sailed we had got MTD, failing that as soon as you get on the ship go and see the restaurant people and ask if you can change, I have heard of that working. 

3 hours ago, MNshortie21 said:

We had late seating on Symphony last year and were able to make it to every show, some start as late as 10:30. Some of the big production shows have a afternoon time slot. happy cruising

Our waiter asked us every evening if we needed to hurry to get to a show. Never needed to but I was pleased that he asked.

Keep checking and grab whatever time available.

Once you board the ship, head straight to MTD and ask for your preferred time.

What happened to walking up when restaurant opened and getting a table? Other threads indicated this was not a problem. We like eating early. Not necessarily at MDR every night but a week straight of buffet isn't desirable either. As of now 6:30 is the earliest time we can reserve MTD and that is for a cruise next Feb. 

11 hours ago, MNshortie21 said:

Ask your TA to put you on the waitlist for MTD.  As people cancel, you can get their spot in MTD.

You can also ask your server to hurry your meal service along when eating in the MDR, whether you have early or late traditional seating.  They've always been very accommodating.  

There's no reason you can't eat in the MDR and still get to see the shows you want to see. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Maplemoose said:

What happened to walking up when restaurant opened and getting a table? Other threads indicated this was not a problem. We like eating early. Not necessarily at MDR every night but a week straight of buffet isn't desirable either. As of now 6:30 is the earliest time we can reserve MTD and that is for a cruise next Feb. 

You are certainly welcome to show up anytime without a reservation and wait in line for a table.  There may be a wait of 5-30 minutes, just like at any restaurant on land, depending on how busy they are at the time you arrive.  

You don't have to have a reservation to use MTD -- you just get in one line if you have a reservation, and you get in the other line if you don't have a reservation.  Nobody ever said you would need to eat in the Windjammer every night.  

Also, if you like eating early every night, why not choose early traditional seating and be guaranteed an early table every night?

Edited by brillohead

16 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

The OP has traditional, they can not go to MTD unless it is assigned for the week.  If you have MTD then you can just walk up anytime and be seated.

Have your TA get you on a waitlist and have them check again around final payment date. Many times MTD will open up again as people cancel.

4 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

The OP has traditional, they can not go to MTD unless it is assigned for the week.  If you have MTD then you can just walk up anytime and be seated.

Actually, what the OP said was that he wanted MTD but was told it was closed. So how could you get a walk up table, unless they limit the number of reservations and leave the rest for walk-ups. Is that possible? As I mentioned above, I can only reserve from 6:30 and later. Maybe times before 6:30 are walk-ups or maybe reserved for the charter group on my cruise. Can only speculate! 😯😯

16 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

Actually, what the OP said was that he wanted MTD but was told it was closed. So how could you get a walk up table, unless they limit the number of reservations and leave the rest for walk-ups. Is that possible? As I mentioned above, I can only reserve from 6:30 and later. Maybe times before 6:30 are walk-ups or maybe reserved for the charter group on my cruise. Can only speculate! 😯😯

If you have MTD you can walk in anytime between 5:30 and 9 pm and be seated . Without a reservation you may have to wait 5 - 10 minutes for a table.  The OP has traditional late seating and will not be allowed to use MTD at all.  If you Have MTD and do not have a reservation you just walk up and they will seat you.  They only allocate a fixed number of MTD guests, some make reservations for every night and some only do walk up.  The OP needs to get on the waitlist for MTD, doing it after boarding is a losing proposition.  As others have said it is still easy to see all the shows when you have late traditional.  OP needs to book all shows in the cruise planner as soon as they open to be sure they get the times they need.  It is not uncommon on a Oasis class ship to move some MTD to MDR if the lines are long for MTD and there are empty tables in traditional.  Only real difference between MTD and MDR is that two decks are for traditional and one for MTD or sometimes reversed. 

Our TA booked us from late traditional and wait listed for early traditional. I think we might just cancel traditional dining and do the no reservation MTD. I think if we go right when it opens there should not be much of a wait. There is only 2 of us so it should not be difficult to get a table.

2 hours ago, MNshortie21 said:

Our TA booked us from late traditional and wait listed for early traditional. I think we might just cancel traditional dining and do the no reservation MTD. I think if we go right when it opens there should not be much of a wait. There is only 2 of us so it should not be difficult to get a table.

You cannot do the no-reservation MTD unless you have been assigned MTD as your seating.  

If you are assigned Late Traditional or Early Traditional, that is when you must eat in the MDR -- you can only do MTD (with or without a reservation) if you have been assigned MTD.

If you really want MTD, then ask your TA to cancel your current wait-list for Early Traditional and instead wait-list you for MTD.  If you really want Early Traditional, then keep your current wait-list for Early Traditional.  

To put it in other words, there are only three dining options for the MDR:

• Early Traditional
  • Late Traditional
  • My Time Dining

If you have My Time Dining, you have the option of making a reservation, or of walking up without a reservation.  But you can't just walk up to the MTD line if you don't have MTD assigned to you.

Note too that some ships don't open MTD at the same time that Early Traditional starts.  Some of them only offer MTD from 6:30-9:00, so the earliest you can eat with MTD would be 6:30, with or without a reservation.  (This is not the case with all ships -- some ships open MTD at the same time as Early Traditional seating.)

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2019 at 3:07 PM, 1025cruise said:

Isn't that Thanksgiving week? Not surprising its already full.

Agree. I cruise over Thanksgiving almost every yr and they are Full even yr out. Main Dining and MTD peak hrs fill Immediately

Edited by ONECRUISER

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

Note too that some ships don't open MTD at the same time that Early Traditional starts.  Some of them only offer MTD from 6:30-9:00, so the earliest you can eat with MTD would be 6:30, with or without a reservation.  (This is not the case with all ships -- some ships open MTD at the same time as Early Traditional seating.)

So that's why I can only book MTD from 6:30 on for my Harmony cruise next Feb?  We do not want traditional dining and are used to completely flexible on NCL where we have never waited for a table at 5:30.  Out by 6:30 with the rest of the night free. Starting to regret booking non-refundable. 

16 hours ago, MNshortie21 said:

Didn´t you say in your OP that MTD is closed. How are you going to cancel traditional then? You have to be asigned to either traditional early, traditional late or MTD. You can´t just Show up at MTD without being assigned to MTD. 

You don´t Need to pre-reserve a certain time with MTD and just go at your desired time, but you still Need to be assigned to the MTD.

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

You cannot do the no-reservation MTD unless you have been assigned MTD as your seating.  

If you are assigned Late Traditional or Early Traditional, that is when you must eat in the MDR -- you can only do MTD (with or without a reservation) if you have been assigned MTD.

If you really want MTD, then ask your TA to cancel your current wait-list for Early Traditional and instead wait-list you for MTD.  If you really want Early Traditional, then keep your current wait-list for Early Traditional.  

To put it in other words, there are only three dining options for the MDR:

• Early Traditional
  • Late Traditional
  • My Time Dining

If you have My Time Dining, you have the option of making a reservation, or of walking up without a reservation.  But you can't just walk up to the MTD line if you don't have MTD assigned to you.

Thanks for the clarification, I misunderstood some of the earlier posts. I'll keep the early waitlist over MTD. I have never had MTD, my first experience with it will be in June and we have that booked.  

I'm curious which one is more likely to get you off the wait list, MTD or Early traditional. Probably neither since it's a Thanksgiving cruise. It's not a huge deal, just have never had late dining and didn't know MTD could be closed, most people probably chose that over Late, when Early seating was booked. Just have to adjust.

Once you are ON the ship, go to the dining room...there will be folks there making changes..usually starts around 2pm.  They want you to be happy.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

So that's why I can only book MTD from 6:30 on for my Harmony cruise next Feb?  We do not want traditional dining and are used to completely flexible on NCL where we have never waited for a table at 5:30.  Out by 6:30 with the rest of the night free. Starting to regret booking non-refundable. 

While Royal Caribbean Online may offer limited times for prebooking MTD dining reservations.  There is nothing to stop you from showing you up to the MTD restaurant at 5:30 (or whatever your desired dining time is) and requesting a table.  However I would shop up about 15 minutes early.

The first night can be hectic, but after that it gets easier.

Edited by gatour