Cruise Critic Community
Orygungirl

Taxis at Port of Miami

I've never sailed out of Miami before. Will there be taxis waiting at the port when we dock that we can line up for to get us to the airport? Seems like a better option than taking the ship's transportation. Our flight doesn't leave until 1. Thanks for input.

Yes, lines of cabs waiting.  The flat rate cab fare between the port and MIA is $27+tip.  Airport is about 15-20 minutes from POM. You can be among the last off the ship and still have lots of time to kill at the airport.

I always find this a little bit comical when people ask about taxis in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Whether it is the two largest cruise ship ports in the world or two of the busiest airports in the world. YES of course we have taxis waiting there. 

Uber/Lyft will be cheaper and better service 95% of the time though. 

Thank you all. Just wasn’t sure if all the taxis would already have been spoken for. 

Personally, if you can avoid a taxi in Miami, do so.  From personal experience, the drivers are rude and the taxis stink.

There is a medallion system in Miami that the taxi drivers go through a lottery for and I think they get an 'entitled' attitude if they get a medallion.  I thought I was going to be sick the last time I took a taxi from the airport to home in south Miami.  Uber is your best best.

From Port to airport a cab is fine if you do not want to wait for an Uber.  Be clear up front with the driver that you are familiar with the flat rate fare between airport and port and you should have no issues.