Extremely Poor behavior in Oceanview Cafe

Stateroom_Sailor

11 minutes ago, wpgcycler said:

I'm rather amused by the hysteria surrounding the multi-use utensil issue. Here's a little lunacy level test for y'all. If there is white clam sauce and red tomato sauce side by side on the buffet, would you use the same ladle for both? I wouldn't. If there are chips (fries for the US crowd) next to the battered fish on the buffet would I use the same tongs? You betcha! Any and all responses welcome.

(I'm on the January 3 Reflection cruise if anyone wants to report me, rebuke me or avoid me)

The fish and fries were probably deep fried in the same oil.

That is what my vegan friends tell me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, florisdekort said:

If your allergy is so serious that a simple misplaced utensil can cause you to spend “3-4 days confined to your cabin” or “evacuated to a hospital”, you probably should avoid buffets altogether.  And before you flame me - that’s what I do, for precisely this reason.  You can’t count on nothing going wrong at a buffet frequented by 1000+ people, either by an incredibly rude person as in this example, or by someone’s simple and honest mistake. 

Right on.

36 minutes ago, Fred&Lily said:

This has been a really great thread.  It goes to the heart of what upsets and bothers cruisers the most - lack of manners.

All the CC reviews for all cruise lines mention passenger behavior time after time.  I've seen some pretty gross behavior on 19 cruises and I'd like to think that had I been anywhere near the table where the OP of this thread witnessed this incident I would have stepped in and dealt with the harasser. - Hey, I'm a hockey player and Canadian!

We all have to hide our little pet peeves and prejudices. Mine are flip-flops and wife-beater tank tops in the MDR. Tattoos anywhere, line jumpers, deplorable elevator etiquette, bad wheelchair drivers, stinky perfumes on old ladies, pool chair hogs and loud hard drinking Germans and Aussies!  But like the rest of you on CC, I grit my teeth, mutter under my breath and raise my right eye-brow in a well pointed show of disapproval.

Alcohol is always blamed for most instances of bad behavior. But there is now an increasing awareness that medications and a whole group of mood altering drugs is causing insensitivity.  Even people taking common pain medications such as acetaminophen loose social awareness and empathy.  Could medications be the real cause of slipping manners?

It would probably be more of an excuse than an explanation IMHO. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

1)  Nope

2)  Nope & I would either politely ask that you not do it and ask the crew member to replace tongs OR simply ask the crew member to replace the tongs.

I am missing something here - why could you not pick up the fish and chips with the same tongs ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, citronella said:

Cross contamination of what ? The two different foods or the carrying germs from one to the other ?

Allergens in fish (or I guess potatoes? but that is less common I think) that could get on the remaining chips/fries in the tray and then get someone sick.  Someone who can eat fries but not fish and who goes to the buffet expecting non contaminated food.

That said, most restaurants have a fry fryer and a wing/fish fryer so they might not come from the same oil.  And if you had really sever allergies you'd be better off asking for a fresh batch of fries from the kitchen, I think they will make that for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, citronella said:

Cross contamination of what ? The two different foods or the carrying germs from one to the other ?

As to the whys I'd have to ask someone with more data/knowledge/experience than I. All I know is that from a manners perspective I have always been taught to use the serving utensils provided for each individual dish. I also worked in a restaurant where we were told each dish had it's own serving utensil and we were to replace it if we saw the utensil 1) slide into the dish rather than be replaced on the utensil holder (we had to replace the tray of food too) 2) the utensil fell on the floor 3) we saw someone use the utensil for a dish other than the one for which it was intended. I worked in VA and our health code requires this.

12VAC5-421-1500. Utensils, Consumer Self-Service.

A food dispensing utensil shall be available for each container displayed at a consumer self-service unit such as a buffet or salad bar.Pf

Statutory Authority

§§ 35.1-11 and 35.1-14 of the Code of Virginia.

On two side notes: I wish that all buffets had crew/staff serving the food. I am not losing sleep over this nor do I carefully watch what others are doing. If I happen to see it, that's one thing. However, I'm not setting out to be the buffet police.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

Yes, I would tell you that... LOL

bon appetite and bon voyage

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, citronella said:

So many things to be concerned about.

But I think I’ll leave multiple tong use at the bottom of the list.

I might have felt the same before our dear DIL came into our lives. She has a severe peanut, tree nut allergy. At one time she worked in a restaurant as a server and was sent into a severe reaction that required a hospital visit (despite carrying an EpiPen) from simply wiping a table where customers had eaten a dish containing peanuts. What may seem inconsequential to those unaffected by food allergies/sensitivities may be life threatening to someone affected by those things. We once went to baseball games and consumed peanuts and Cracker Jacks like the song says. Now, we ask everyone around us if they have any peanut issues before we'd ever do that. Her issues have driven home to me the seriousness of these types of problems and also the necessity of being careful. 

• Like 3

This behavior is no more acceptable in the U.S. since 2016 than it was in 2014!

There is no reason for this generalization as there is no excuse for this man’s  behavior.    Never speak to anyone directly complaining of their or their children’s behavior, always notify a member of the crew.    One time on the Infinity, 2010, we were having a nice dinner in the MDR.   A table of children next to us kept throwing food and hitting a psychologist at our table in the head.   He got up and asked the children to stop throwing food,no adult at their table.   A man sitting at another table got up with his steak knife and threatened the complaining gentlemen.    The knife wielding man was put off at the next port with his family.

This could have ended very badly.

2 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

This thread has made me cringe. It is simply proper etiquette to use individual serving utensils for each dish. It may also be some sort of health code point as well. I agree it is not the job of passengers to police other passengers. Reporting to staff behavior which violates rules/policies is appropriate because it is their job. I would have no issue saying something like "Sir/Ma'am I believe you should use the utensil provided with each dish." I would then let the staff know discreetly so they could replace the offending utensil. Nothing demeaning, no raised voices, no foul language is necessary ON EITHER SIDE! 

I think there is a lack of sensitivity to differences in cultural sensitivities.  Perhaps using individual  serving utensils is etiquette to you but there are probably a lot of parts of the world that a single serving utensil is standard for several dishes.  You've really hit the nail on the head, if something bothers you them just deal with it.  Nothing demeaning, no raised voices.  You're on a ship with people from all over the United States as well as all over the world.  No one will have the same value system (basis of perceived manners)  as you.  If something bothers you, just deal with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

Any decent food service place would never do this.  None where I live do and I am living in a real fish n chip place

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Any decent food service place would never do this.  None where I live do and I am living in a real fish n chip place

But they would put chicken wings and fries together? Someone mentioned that in this thread, I believe.

I don't know.. I  asked friends who are vegan why they  couldn't order fries and I was told that they believed more than fries got deep fried in the same oil. I never think of things like this when I go out to eat.

56 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

If it wasn't self-serve, do you really think the kitchen has different serving tools for the fish and fries in the kitchen?  Nope

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Okay, if this person has a behavioral or mental health issue, they need to be required to have their handler with them at all times, in public or not sail at all...

bon voyage

1 in 5 American adults experience mental illness in any given year.  I guarantee you you have been on cruises with countless people suffering from some type of mental health issue who do not have "handlers".  I have family members who have various forms of mental health issues (bipolar, OCD, depression, etc.) who manage them with therapy and medication.  They are all functioning, successful members of society who cruise very nicely, thank you.  

3 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I might have felt the same before our dear DIL came into our lives. She has a severe peanut, tree nut allergy. At one time she worked in a restaurant as a server and was sent into a severe reaction that required a hospital visit (despite carrying an EpiPen) from simply wiping a table where customers had eaten a dish containing peanuts. What may seem inconsequential to those unaffected by food allergies/sensitivities may be life threatening to someone affected by those things. We once went to baseball games and consumed peanuts and Cracker Jacks like the song says. Now, we ask everyone around us if they have any peanut issues before we'd ever do that. Her issues have driven home to me the seriousness of these types of problems and also the necessity of being careful. 

Serious indeed - but hers to manage. If the general public were responsible for the care of everyone with an allergy or sensitivity, there would be no buffets - nor for that matter, restaurants of any kind - and cruising? Forget it. Life ain't fair or easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

But they would put chicken wings and fries together? Someone mentioned that in this thread, I believe.

I don't know.. I  asked friends who are vegan why they  couldn't order fries and I was told that they believed more than fries got deep fried in the same oil. I never think of things like this when I go out to eat.

My daughter has celiac disease.  The flour on the fish can set her off, fry the potatoes in the same oil as the fish and she has an issue.  She has learnt to ask how fries are cooked before touching any if them.

Until she was diagnosed I never would have thought about cross contamination in this context but now do.

• Like 1

Life ain’t easy.  Should I start ?

If you’ve got allergies, plan ahead - can’t deal with multiple tong use in the buffet, then steer away from cruise ships or all inclusives.

Suck it up..........we all got issues.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, citronella said:

Life ain’t easy.  Should I start ?

If you’ve got allergies, plan ahead - can’t deal with multiple tong use in the buffet, then steer away from cruise ships or all inclusives.

Suck it up..........we all got issues.

No life is not easy but just because you have an allergy or some other issue you shouldn't cruise???  If so the ships would be empty.  My daughter has cruised and faired very well.  She knows the questions to ask and the places to go.  However when you get inconsiderate people who go to the gluten free, vegan, etc areas and poke at the food there contaminating it that is just not right.  Unfortunately this does make life harder for people like my daughter because no she won't touch it unless she saw it come from the kitchen and can ensured if it's content.

We have become a me me me society and very few think of others and how their actions impact anyone else.  Very sad commentary on our world.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Serious indeed - but hers to manage. If the general public were responsible for the care of everyone with an allergy or sensitivity, there would be no buffets - nor for that matter, restaurants of any kind - and cruising? Forget it. Life ain't fair or easy.

Being thoughtful about one's actions and considerate seems so easy. It's sad that some people find thoughtfulness, consideration of others and good manners such an imposition and hardship. Sad commentary on today's world. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Being thoughtful about one's actions and considerate seems so easy. It's sad that some people find thoughtfulness, consideration of others and good manners such an imposition and hardship. Sad commentary on today's world. 

Fortunately most people on cruise ships are thoughtful and considerate as are most of the people we meet throughout the world. Most people in the world would be happy not to have peanuts if they knew they were risking the well-being of others including your dear DIL. A sixteen year old in the U.K. at present is campaigning for nuts to be banned on airlines worldwide. Good luck to her! 

Unfortunately, on Cruise Critic (as in the media) we too often focus on the ‘bad’ people and events and can forget all the good things that happen....

To me it is really sad that in the last few weeks there have been two really long posts about inappropriate behaviour in Oceanview...Whilst we can often find the cafe busy we usually find people there using appropriate utensils, interacting politely with others, often chatting and sharing experiences. It worries me that people reading these posts who are yet to cruise on Celebrity could be put off.

It makes me think we need to start another post about people (fellow guests) who have helped or shown kindness....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We were on a tour bus in Kona today.  Someone asked when Bananas on the island were harvested.  The tour guide didn't know exactly, just the general season.  The woman said, "but you don't know, you've never driven past and seen?"  The tour guide went on about the general crop on the island, and relocations since Kilauea's eruptions last year. 

The woman snapped, "Ok great, I've heard enough.  Aloha Aloha Aloha."

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

Fortunately most people on cruise ships are thoughtful and considerate as are most of the people we meet throughout the world. Most people in the world would be happy not to have peanuts if they knew they were risking the well-being of others including your dear DIL. A sixteen year old in the U.K. at present is campaigning for nuts to be banned on airlines worldwide. Good luck to her! 

Unfortunately, on Cruise Critic (as in the media) we too often focus on the ‘bad’ people and events and can forget all the good things that happen....

To me it is really sad that in the last few weeks there have been two really long posts about inappropriate behaviour in Oceanview...Whilst we can often find the cafe busy we usually find people there using appropriate utensils, interacting politely with others, often chatting and sharing experiences. It worries me that people reading these posts who are yet to cruise on Celebrity could be put off.

It makes me think we need to start another post about people (fellow guests) who have helped or shown kindness....

I agree and thanks for the sunshine.