Extremely Poor behavior in Oceanview Cafe

Stateroom_Sailor

10 hours ago, MarLieb said:

1 in 5 American adults experience mental illness in any given year.  I guarantee you you have been on cruises with countless people suffering from some type of mental health issue who do not have "handlers".  I have family members who have various forms of mental health issues (bipolar, OCD, depression, etc.) who manage them with therapy and medication.  They are all functioning, successful members of society who cruise very nicely, thank you.  

m -  I really owe you an apology if you thought my comment was directed towards your family members or others who have 'mental illness' and cruises/vacations.

When I use the word 'handler' any pronoun can be substitutable in place of that word (i.e. companion, spouse, relative, nurse etc..).

I can also assure you that I have knowingly traveled with individuals with such issues AND I assure you that their 'handler(s)' who also traveled with them, one of us were there to help diffuse any situation (when necessary) and calm the individual.

When I choose to travel with such individuals I do my best to understand what can or does trigger events for the individual and how to best help them handle it so as not to be disruptive, offensive or be in a situation where they could harm themselves or others verbally or physically.

Fortunately, for me, there has been only one (1) instance in all of these years where I had to personally intervene in a friends episode.

Additionally, I have declined to travel with individuals who have these issues when I thought that I did not want to help fulfill the role of handler (part time). Just my personal preference on how to enjoy my vacation without worry about what is going on at any given time.

I do apologize if you took my post to mean that these individuals (or your family) should not travel, that is not the case, yet if they are traveling and have these issues, clearly someone who can 'handle', help diffuse or otherwise calm the individual down to the point where others will not take offense by their public display of behaviour which can be harmful, is greatly understood, applauded and accepted by fellow passengers, I Am sure or at least my self.

I laud, wholeheartedly, those handlers who readily take on the care giving requirements of such individuals, seriously. Great respects.

Again, My apologies and it was never my intention to offend you or anyone else with these issues or their caretakers, just pointing out a fact that "I believe" goes a long way to help everyone enjoy their vacation with a minimum of stress.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, akcruz said:

No life is not easy but just because you have an allergy or some other issue you shouldn't cruise???  If so the ships would be empty.  My daughter has cruised and faired very well.  She knows the questions to ask and the places to go.  However when you get inconsiderate people who go to the gluten free, vegan, etc areas and poke at the food there contaminating it that is just not right.  Unfortunately this does make life harder for people like my daughter because no she won't touch it unless she saw it come from the kitchen and can ensured if it's content.

We have become a me me me society and very few think of others and how their actions impact anyone else.  Very sad commentary on our world.

I didn’t mean that people who have allergies shouldn’t travel.

What I did mean was that if I was that concerned about “multiple tong use” (I actually can’t believe I just typed those words) I’d steer clear of self-serve buffets.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, citronella said:

I am missing something here - why could you not pick up the fish and chips with the same tongs ? 

At our local supermarkets, they have hot bars.  The fish and chips are placed in the same self-serving pan for customers.  I can look into the kitchen and the fries are cooked in a different oil than the fish.  But both are re-united on the hot bar.  

When we are concerned with illnesses on board, we stay away from the buffet lines and dine in the MDR.  That is not to say that the employees are healthy but our odds  of remaining healthy are increased.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, sbt518 said:

Allergens in fish (or I guess potatoes? but that is less common I think) that could get on the remaining chips/fries in the tray and then get someone sick.  Someone who can eat fries but not fish and who goes to the buffet expecting non contaminated food.

That said, most restaurants have a fry fryer and a wing/fish fryer so they might not come from the same oil.  And if you had really sever allergies you'd be better off asking for a fresh batch of fries from the kitchen, I think they will make that for you.

I have worked in fast food.  The same oil is used for the fries,  fish and deep fried desserts.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If it wasn't self-serve, do you really think the kitchen has different serving tools for the fish and fries in the kitchen?  Nope

Yes..  they do. unless it is a redneck operation. 

27 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Yes..  they do. unless it is a redneck operation. 

I’m in St. John’s, Newfoundland - many local fish and chip shops.  I can assure you they use the same utensils to place the order on a plate. They are often small outfits, certainly not upscale  but definitely not “redneck”.

They’re the go to place for fish and chips - and as some say here - “drown the chips in gravy”.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:02 PM, Floater4life said:

You assume people with limited funds are the ones with bad behavior. Poor assumption.  Bad manners knows no socio economic class, race, gender or cruise line.

I completely agree. Some of the worst of the worst are those with 'money' who feel that for some reason they are special and entitled. When they don't receive their imagined entitlements they get really nasty.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sleepless said:

I have worked in fast food.  The same oil is used for the fries,  fish and deep fried desserts.

I wasn’t talking about fast food. But this is totally off the topic of this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike981 said:

I hear you. My sons wonderful Bernese.

Lady.JPG

Mike  --  that looks like a Packers Jersey...

Are you a closet Packers Fan living in Minnesota?

To be fair...

I grew up in Iowa  --  No Pro Teams...

I'm a Bears Fan...

Parents Packers Fans...

Brother Vikings Fan...

& I married a Packers Fan...

The rest of the Family chose their teams long after living @ home 🙂

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Von & John said:

Mike  --  that looks like a Packers Jersey...

Are you a closet Packers Fan living in Minnesota?

To be fair...

I grew up in Iowa  --  No Pro Teams...

I'm a Bears Fan...

Parents Packers Fans...

Brother Vikings Fan...

& I married a Packers Fan...

The rest of the Family chose their teams long after living @ home 🙂

Grew up in Madison and passed it on to the kids.

NFC North. Got ta' love it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

m -  I really owe you an apology if you thought my comment was directed towards your family members or others who have 'mental illness' and cruises/vacations.

When I use the word 'handler' any pronoun can be substitutable in place of that word (i.e. companion, spouse, relative, nurse etc..).

I can also assure you that I have knowingly traveled with individuals with such issues AND I assure you that their 'handler(s)' who also traveled with them, one of us were there to help diffuse any situation (when necessary) and calm the individual.

When I choose to travel with such individuals I do my best to understand what can or does trigger events for the individual and how to best help them handle it so as not to be disruptive, offensive or be in a situation where they could harm themselves or others verbally or physically.

Fortunately, for me, there has been only one (1) instance in all of these years where I had to personally intervene in a friends episode.

Additionally, I have declined to travel with individuals who have these issues when I thought that I did not want to help fulfill the role of handler (part time). Just my personal preference on how to enjoy my vacation without worry about what is going on at any given time.

I do apologize if you took my post to mean that these individuals (or your family) should not travel, that is not the case, yet if they are traveling and have these issues, clearly someone who can 'handle', help diffuse or otherwise calm the individual down to the point where others will not take offense by their public display of behaviour which can be harmful, is greatly understood, applauded and accepted by fellow passengers, I Am sure or at least my self.

I laud, wholeheartedly, those handlers who readily take on the care giving requirements of such individuals, seriously. Great respects.

Again, My apologies and it was never my intention to offend you or anyone else with these issues or their caretakers, just pointing out a fact that "I believe" goes a long way to help everyone enjoy their vacation with a minimum of stress.

bon voyage

You are incredibly sweet, thank you.  I understand what you meant by "handler" now and I do appreciate your post.  🙂

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Grew up in Madison and passed it on to the kids.

NFC North. Got ta' love it.

Mom grew up in Tomah...

Parents met @ Camp McCoy...

Mom worked there & Dad trained there...

Mom's childhood home became part of Camp McCoy & we got to visit during a Family Reunion...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Von & John said:

Mom grew up in Tomah...

Parents met @ Camp McCoy...

Mom worked there & Dad trained there...

Mom's childhood home became part of Camp McCoy & we got to visit during a Family Reunion...

So, from Talkeetna you can see Russia, right? Well, if it wasn't for those pesky mountains being in the way....

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, MarLieb said:

You are incredibly sweet, thank you.  I understand what you meant by "handler" now and I do appreciate your post.  🙂

From the last year or so of observation I have this to write. Bo seems to be a gentleman first and a nice guy, as well. I appreciate his thoughts and feedback on the few posts he chooses to comment about. I read his word and try to learn. He is appreciated by many. I hope to see him one day on a cruise and I will gladly treat him to his choice of beverages.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, eileen11 said:

Budget lines???    LOL!!!!!    Celebrity is not the so called high class line....This is way too funny.

All of the budget lines are fun ships.  I ASSUME, they are there primarily for the fun.  There's a reason why Carnival is one of the most expensive mass market cruise lines in Alaska, some will literally pay extra to avoid Princess, HAL, and X.  Though the larger the discount, the larger the incentive.

I've never once knocked the people our 5 night Carnival Cruise, but rather the declining behavior on our 14 night.  I stand by the belief that not all fun ship passengers can handle a 14 night cruise.  That is evidently true for X, and likely Crystal to whatever extent.

Our Carnival Journey Cruise never went below $1,199, where as our current X cruise, dropped as low as $649.  Carnival Verandas $2,200, vs Celebrity $999. 

FWIW - Pricing for our Jan/2020 Southern Caribbean cruise was about the same (basic balcony) price per room from Celebrity to Carnival. And we also received four extra's, so it was much cheaper in the long run to go with Celebrity. Now when I check the cost (I booked 1/2019) of our room it is 50% more.

• Like 2