Cruise Critic Community
fsa1155

Should I be afraid?

Hello Everyone,

We are cruising out of Miami and I really want to stay close to the port.  I've been reading that a lot of people like the Intercontinental Hotel.  I've been told that Miami is a very rough city and I shouldn't be out walking.  For those who have stayed at the Intercontinental, did you feel safe walking down the street to a nice restaurant?  I also wanted to know, how good was the hotel's breakfast and what restaurants were very close by?

Thanks,

I've stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel.  I don't like walking around areas that aren't safe, but I felt very comfortable walking around the areas near the hotel.  It's in a great location with a lot of stores and restaurants nearby.  When we booked the room, we added the breakfast to the booking, so we didn't have to pay extra the morning of the breakfast.  It was good.  Our room was very large and clean.

They sometimes hold events near the hotel, so we heard music at night from our room.  If you want a very nice hotel in a great location, then this hotel is a good choice.   We arrived before our room was ready.  They said that we could have the room early if we paid extra, but we declined.  We had them store our luggage, walked around the area, and ate lunch nearby. Our room was ready about two hours later. We took a cab to the port the morning of the cruise.

I don't want to make you worried or give you a false sense of security.  I think statistically Miami is considered rough, but I used to be down there everyday (work related) for years.  I'm still down there from time to time and don't notice the roughness.  That being said, It's downtown Miami so you'll run across a few vagrants.  As with anywhere you're unfamiliar with, keep your guard up and stay alert.  Just put your blinders on and keep walking if someone attempts to call you over and you'll be fine.  

15 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

I don't want to make you worried or give you a false sense of security.  I think statistically Miami is considered rough, but I used to be down there everyday (work related) for years.  I'm still down there from time to time and don't notice the roughness.  That being said, It's downtown Miami so you'll run across a few vagrants.  As with anywhere you're unfamiliar with, keep your guard up and stay alert.  Just put your blinders on and keep walking if someone attempts to call you over and you'll be fine.  

Excellent advice.  I used to work at Bayside, there were plenty of thefts and vagrants around.  But it wasn't that bad, especially right near Bayside and the Intercontinental.  I just wouldn't wander too far at night.  I have a friend who lives at 8th and 1st and I'm not sure I'd want to wander the streets around there late at night.  Totally fine during the day though.

Thank you everyone.  Maybe we'll have an early dinner.  🙂  

We love the Intercontinentel and always stay there pre-cruise. Toro for dinner and the breakfasts at Ole are excellent. We don't wander about in the evening and are always alert. Maybe that comes from living in a big city.

15 minutes ago, Noxequifans said:

We love the Intercontinentel and always stay there pre-cruise. Toro for dinner and the breakfasts at Ole are excellent. We don't wander about in the evening and are always alert. Maybe that comes from living in a big city.

Thank you.  We're from a tiny town in the Midwest.  We don't have a lot of city experience.  🙂 

I've stayed at the IC several times before our cruises. We love the hotel and the location! It's great waking up and seeing your ship in port! And the hotel is beautiful. The pool area is very large with a restaurant adjacent to it. We typically spend time at the pool during the day and then head to Bayside for dinner at night. We have never felt unsafe walking around there. We've even had to stray a bit further to find a liquor store for pre-cruise wine purchases or to head to CVS for last minute shopping and it's all been fine. 

Last time we stayed at the IC, we had our (then) 14 month old with us and another time before we had my husbands older kids (then 7 & 10) with us and felt totally comfortable walking around with them in tow. As another poster said, keep your blinders on and don't engage if someone tries to start hassling you. We actually just encountered this in Tampa before our last cruise. We had a heckler at the grocery store in broad daylight. But it was all fine! 

The key to walking around Downtown Miami and any other city is to stay on the beaten path, where the tourists and diners are walking. Don't wander off into uncrowded and dark areas, don't over indulge, and keep an eye on your wallet/purse.

I live on Brickell Ave and am out and about all the time, including over the the Intercontinental as there is a steakhouse over there that I like.  Not sure I would call it a rough area but don't go down side streets by yourself at night. 

Like any big city, from NYC to Paris, there are homeless people out and about.  For the most part, they don't bother you.  Just be totally aware of your surroundings.  

As far as restaurants, it's all a matter of what kind of food you are looking for.  From Toro Toro in your hotel, Wolfgang's Steakhouse right next door to Boulod Sod at the Marriott Marquis and Trulucks all are fantastic and within a short walk. 

Posted (edited)

I too, worked in downtown Miami for 13 years up until 2015.  They basically roll up the sidewalks at 5pm except for the tourists who are out and about at Bayfront Park and Bayside.  I worked in one the buildings across the street from the Intercontinental Hotel.

There are homeless people along 2nd and 3rd Aves at night and in Bayfront Park.  Most won't bother you.  There is a lot of action at Bayside in the evening and if you don't want to walk back through Bayfront Park afterwards, just grab a taxi out front on Biscayne Blvd (although the driver might give you attitude for such a short ride).  It's like any big city.  Just be cautious.  If you have time, go into Coconut Grove.  Lots of shopping, restaurants and you can take the trolley there.

Edited by Diver2014

3 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

I too, worked in downtown Miami for 13 years up until 2015.  They basically roll up the sidewalks at 5pm except for the tourists who are out and about at Bayfront Park and Bayside.  I worked in one the buildings across the street from the Intercontinental Hotel.

There are homeless people along 2nd and 3rd Aves at night and in Bayfront Park.  Most won't bother you.  There is a lot of action at Bayside in the evening and if you don't want to walk back through Bayfront Park afterwards, just grab a taxi out front on Biscayne Blvd (although the driver might give you attitude for such a short ride).  It's like any big city.  Just be cautious.  If you have time, go into Coconut Grove.  Lots of shopping, restaurants and you can take the trolley there.

With all the new condo buildings going up there it has changed quite a bit since 2015 and more people are out and about at night.  The changes are pretty amazing! 

from the IC to BAYSIDE you can either walk (about 1/3 mile)

along the water path or stay close to the traffic on Biscayne Blvd ... there are well lit paths on both routes.  If in doubt stay on the Bisc' route as you'll be in sight of traffic (witnesses)

Seriously .... I worked in downtown Miami in 1982 and gun fights were somewhat routine 😲

Today, Miami is not worse than any other major city ..... IMO.  

The  big park area between IC and Bayside is safe if you don't venture too far off the main path . . .

Is BAYSIDE the best place to find great food?  Didn't say that but you can get 'good' food there.

Downtown Miami and Brickell are two of the safest neighborhoods in Miami. Violent crime is exceptionally rare and the vast majority of crime in the area is petit theft, breaking into car windows etc.. 

If you are staying at the IC the area on Biscayne Blvd is exceptionally safe and busy at night. On a Friday/Saturday night the sidewalks are pretty busy and tons of cars. Brickell is even safer and an easy walk from the IC down Biscayne Blvd Way. 

Intercontinental is a great choice, another popular spot is Hampton Inn Brickell. 

So just use common sense, ignore the homeless that might be around (as they are in almost any large city) and enjoy. 

Just walk on busier streets and you will be fine. I lived in Downtown Miami for 4-years and work there as well. Walked the streets, parked my car, 24/7 never had an issue.