Cruise Critic Community
Cobeck1234

Ship shuttle from Yorkeys Knob into Cairns?

I posted on the Australia forum and no reply yet.  Does anyone know

if there is a shuttle from the tender pier into Cairns?  I read one review that seemed

to indicate there was a shuttle but when I called Celebrity they said they didn’t

think so as it didn’t look that far away.  Any first hand experience?

Both Royal and Celebrity supply Shuttles at a cost of $20 US from memory. Yorkeys is about 20 minutes by Bus into Cairns, to far to walk. Yorkeys is a Tender Port and is often a problem for tendering. Taxis and Uber is also available.

Posted (edited)

During our Jan 2018 Great Barrier Reef cruise aboard Solstice, we stopped at Cairns for two days.  

As beatleman mentioned, Celebrity provided a shuttle from Yorkey's Knob to Cairns (drop off was at Esplanade Lagoon).  Here is the issue of Celebrity Today which gives more information on the shuttle on page 2.

We got off the ship very early and made it to Yorkey's Knob at approx 6:30am.  The shuttle was not running at the time (it started at 8am).  Uber was not available to pick us up (maybe that was due to the early time) but we were able to call for a cab using the 13cabs app.  It cost us $50.10 AUD to get us from Yorkey's Knob to the Cairns Marlin Marina (which is close to Esplanade Lagoon).    

C6169C9C-6F3F-49BF-83FC-B9AB0169A89D.jpeg

Solstice as seen from our tender as it was nearing Yorkey's Knob.  Jan 8 2018.

Edited by mahdnc

7 minutes ago, Cobeck1234 said:

This is great information.  Thank you so much.

You're welcome.  In case this is helpful, I did post a cruise review as well as a "live" thread for our Jan 2 2018 Great Barrier Reef cruise aboard Solstice.

David

6 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

You're welcome.  In case this is helpful, I did post a cruise review as well as a "live" thread for our Jan 2 2018 Great Barrier Reef cruise aboard Solstice.

David

David,  thank you, I just finished reading it.  We are still almost 11 months away from going “down under” but have lots of little details and this is now one I don’t have to think about.  Right now we have our hotels in Sydney pre cruise, and Auckland post cruise reserved and about 2/3 of our flight plans.  Have started working on excursions.  I love this part of vacations.

Yorkeys Knob is a very exposed anchoring point. It is not uncommon for Tendering to be suspended from time to time because of rough weather. This is more likely if ships tenders are the only tender boats used. If the ship manages to secure one or two of the larger local boats especially later in the day the tender process is quickly sped up.

If booking private excursions at Yorkeys knob and you don't have priority tendering make sure you advise the operator that you make take some time getting ashore. Tendering is not a strong point of Celebrity especially if you don't have any priority. If you don't have a priority boarding I would suggest that you get up early well before tender tickets are issued and make sure you are at the front of the tender queue because if you don't others will. It is not uncommon for those without priority tendering to take some hours to get ashore. Coming back everyone gets in the same queue

22 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

Yorkeys Knob is a very exposed anchoring point. It is not uncommon for Tendering to be suspended from time to time because of rough weather. This is more likely if ships tenders are the only tender boats used. If the ship manages to secure one or two of the larger local boats especially later in the day the tender process is quickly sped up.

If booking private excursions at Yorkeys knob and you don't have priority tendering make sure you advise the operator that you make take some time getting ashore. Tendering is not a strong point of Celebrity especially if you don't have any priority. If you don't have a priority boarding I would suggest that you get up early well before tender tickets are issued and make sure you are at the front of the tender queue because if you don't others will. It is not uncommon for those without priority tendering to take some hours to get ashore. Coming back everyone gets in the same queue

We do have a private excursion booked.  We have to check in no later than 11:15am.  We will be elite so have that going for us but, yes, I will be up early to get tender tickets. I would rather wait at the pier than be too late as they will not wait.  Thanks for the heads up.

Being elite you won't need tender tickets. You will be given a meeting point, to be taken by the CC host to the tender boat as soon as you are ready to go ashore.

11 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

Being elite you won't need tender tickets. You will be given a meeting point, to be taken by the CC host to the tender boat as soon as you are ready to go ashore.

That’s good to know.  Thanks

The normal meeting point is deck 4 MDR but may change. When you join the ship in your cabin will be a list and timings of Elite events including tendering details