Cruise Critic Community
GenghisQuan

Canada Place luggage storage?

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has had recent experience storing luggage at Canada Place?  I'm sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam doing the round trip from Vancouver, planning to drop luggage at CP somewhere upon disembarkation and then head up to Grouse Mountain and Capilano Suspension Bridge, then retrieve luggage and back to hotel in Richmond.

I know there's CDS, are they still only to 4:30PM? Anyone use them recently and can give any insight as to whether this is still the case? Are there hotels that I can pay them money to take my luggage until I come back later that day?

Thanks.

There have been a handful of cruises already this season, so there's a slim chance that someone with direct experience will chime in - but in case nobody does, CDS remain the official luggage storage and their hours are unchanged. The Pan Pacific hotel directly above the pier has consistently held bags in prior seasons for cruisers, so that's also very unlikely to have changed - $5 a bag has been the going rate there for years too (CDS it's $8, but a couple of bucks less for small bags).

Depending which Richmond hotel you're staying in, you might also consider the CDS 'ship to airport' service - they have offices at YVR and $40 gets up to 4 bags forwarded. If you were e.g. SkyTraining to the airport then calling an airport hotel shuttle, this would add almost no extra effort on your part. It's most useful for folks who don't want to return to the pier; with your planned sites the pier wouldn't be a hassle to get back to (even if you stayed on the North Shore until after the free shuttles stop running, Transit gets you to within half a kilometre or less of the pier). If you were planning to take a cab to your hotel (anywhere from $35-50 depending exactly which one), using CDS to ship your bags would make SkyTrain travel luggage-free so even easier (and at <$3pp any evening, spending cab fare on the shipping could actually save you money).

On 4/27/2019 at 5:00 AM, martincath said:

Depending which Richmond hotel you're staying in, you might also consider the CDS 'ship to airport' service - they have offices at YVR and $40 gets up to 4 bags forwarded. If you were e.g. SkyTraining to the airport then calling an airport hotel shuttle, this would add almost no extra effort on your part. It's most useful for folks who don't want to return to the pier; with your planned sites the pier wouldn't be a hassle to get back to (even if you stayed on the North Shore until after the free shuttles stop running, Transit gets you to within half a kilometre or less of the pier). If you were planning to take a cab to your hotel (anywhere from $35-50 depending exactly which one), using CDS to ship your bags would make SkyTrain travel luggage-free so even easier (and at <$3pp any evening, spending cab fare on the shipping could actually save you money).

Thanks Martincath,

If I'm understanding you correctly, do you mean that:

1. Have CDS send bags to YVR

2. Go do my touring

3. Take the SkyTrain to YVR

4. Pick up bags, take hotel shuttle to hotel

?

We're staying at the Four Points that's by Landsdowne, so it definitely has a shuttle.

23 minutes ago, GenghisQuan said:

Thanks Martincath,

If I'm understanding you correctly, do you mean that:

1. Have CDS send bags to YVR

2. Go do my touring

3. Take the SkyTrain to YVR

4. Pick up bags, take hotel shuttle to hotel

?

We're staying at the Four Points that's by Landsdowne, so it definitely has a shuttle.

That's it precisely. However, I would suggest you contact CDS directly as I've heard a report - just one, so it's secondhand info that was supplied over the phone by one employee and may not be correct - that they are no longer going to offer their 'ship to airport' service unless you are signed up with a WestCoast tour. Even if it IS true, WestCoast operate the HOHO which is a popular and useful way to tour around for the day so it may not be an inconvenience (in fact there may even be some sort of discounted package rate).

CDS can be reached by email or by calling 1-604-303-4500 (this is their main office number, as the pier location does not start up until May - you can then call the pier direct on 1-604-683-3696 (the pier location operates 7:30am-4:30pm, all days except Tue & Thu). Getting the info direct from the horses mouth avoids any risk of miscommunication! If it does turn out to no longer be available, storage for the day at the Pan Pacific shouldn't be too inconvenient unless you wanted to have dinner somewhere far from the pier and then head directly to your hotel.

On 4/27/2019 at 8:00 AM, martincath said:

There have been a handful of cruises already this season, so there's a slim chance that someone with direct experience will chime in

I was there Saturday, and was looking to at least store my bag for the day if not transfer it to the airport.  An employee I asked about CDS advised that they were no longer providing services there.  Either the CDS site has not been updated or the employee was wrong.  Either way, Pan Pacific Hotel got my $5 CAD to store my bag and I dragged it to the train station to head to YVR at the end of the day.

3 hours ago, hallux said:

I was there Saturday, and was looking to at least store my bag for the day if not transfer it to the airport.  An employee I asked about CDS advised that they were no longer providing services there.  Either the CDS site has not been updated or the employee was wrong.  Either way, Pan Pacific Hotel got my $5 CAD to store my bag and I dragged it to the train station to head to YVR at the end of the day.

I did notice that the CDS site was offline for a few days; it's back now, still listing the pier, and giving a start date of May for the service there... but since Saturday was definitely in May it does sound like there's some changes afoot.  The official Canada Place website also seems to no longer be mentioning CDS as providing luggage storage under passenger Services section; but no new franchisee to replace them. I certainly hope that we won't be entirely without a pier storage this season, as while CC members might find out about the Pan Pacific taking bags the majority of cruisers who don't use CC will be hooped!

Oh, and thanks for confirming the PP remains at $5 a bag.