Cruise Critic Community
MightyMike

Ultimate Abyss for Oasis and Allure

What are your opinions on adding Ultimate Abyss to Oasis and Allure during their next dry docks? I've read that Royal Caribbean wants consistency across the Oasis class, but also acknowledges each ship will have some uniqueness. I'm sure Royal Caribbean has already decided, but it's fun to speculate.

Personally, I think that the backs of Oasis and Allure are beautiful as they are now. Pictures taken from boardwalk balconies facing aft look majestic. They highlight how large the ship really is.

Pictures of the Harmony and Symphony look almost comical in comparison. The purple color of the slide feels wrong. The attraction doesn't seem to fit the boardwalk theme. To me, it looks like a purple sea monster with giant tentacles is attacking the boardwalk. Perhaps that's the intent.

A SkyPad would almost fit the Boardwalk theme better, but I'm aware of the recent serious injury and closures, so won't go there!

For those who have tried Ultimate Abyss, how much fun is it? Is it worth retrofitting it to the Oasis and Allure? Given that Oasis and Allure will likely get waterslides at the next dry dock, should they get this too?

I was on the Symphony last month.  I felt that big purple monolith was an obstacle to a nice view from Playmakers.  I, for one, wouldn't want it added to the other Oasis class ships.

I've been on Harmony and Allure.  I don't care for the Abyss.  I agree that it's a real eye sore.  Allure was nice and open to the sea and sky.

Honestly, I can't even imagine how much fun it is to slide down on a potato sack more than once anyway... 🙂

Posted (edited)

I’m afraid it’s coming whether  we like it or not. Everything one reads it appears to be a foregone conclusion that Oasis will get it on November 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

I've been on 3/4 Oasis class ships, the only one left out being Symphony, and personally I didn't care for the actual thrill of the Abyss.  However, I'm not a fan of heights so it's not made for me.  I don't think it takes away from any beauty of the ship though, and I see the extreme appeal to kids, which is always Royal's market.  I actually loved the back of the ship on Harmony, with the the two flowriders, and the Abyss right in between.  It will definitely be added on the next dry dock, and there really is no reason not to.

I agree it is an eyesore from the Boardwalk. I wish they would leave it off the Oasis and the Allure, but I do not think that is going to happen. 

On 4/27/2019 at 9:58 AM, MightyMike said:

For those who have tried Ultimate Abyss, how much fun is it? Is it worth retrofitting it to the Oasis and Allure? Given that Oasis and Allure will likely get waterslides at the next dry dock, should they get this too?

We don’t have kids, and have done it once per ship.  It’s ok.  My very favorite part of it is the view from the top, before you go down 🙂

one note- you can’t wear sleeveless shirts on it.

Another vote to go without the Abyss.   They'll likely get the Abyss and I just won't book boardwalk balconies but there will always be someone who does.

Waterslides makes sense because for many families this is a check list item.

Playmakers has been a hit so I'm betting that PM will replace Sabor and El Loco Fresh will replace Wipeout Cafe.  

The accident in Skypad is likely resolvable by making some changes to the rigging.  I doubt they'll rip Skypad off the ships that have it but I don't see Skypad coming to Oasis class.  For me it's a one and done, like Abyss but kids might be repeat users.

I am one and done with the Abyss.  Although I can see why people like it.  I have never done the flowrider or the rock climbing wall and also see why people like it.  I would probably try the flow rider if I was in my twenties though. 

Posted (edited)

I wish that instead of the abyss, they just had that neat glass platform way up there in the back 🙂  It’s such a great spot for pictures!

Edited by vacationlover_mn

Looks like I'm in the minority, but I loved the Abyss.  Went on it a few times with my kids.

28 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Looks like I'm in the minority, but I loved the Abyss.  Went on it a few times with my kids.

I'm with you...I have ridden he Abyss multiple times on Harmony and can't wait to ride in on Symphony in December.

Posted (edited)

We are going on the Oasis next year, and it will make my children very happy if they add the Abyss and water slides.  They loved these items on the HOS.  I imagine most parents with young children going on these ships will welcome the additions to the Oasis & Allure.

Edited by LuvCruising8

It would be a great addition. A great attraction that we road on the Symphony. 

How about trying to have them keep the Champagne Bar. The Bionic Bar is also a totally waste and a eyesore. The Abyss and the Bionic bar are seldom used.  We sat in Playmakers on Symphony and during our lunch not a single rider came down the slide.  Sad to see the Margarita Bar was removed. 

On 5/6/2019 at 2:03 PM, LuvCruising8 said:

I imagine most parents with young children going on these ships will welcome the additions to the Oasis & Allure.

How about the adults too? I'm nearly 70 and just got off Harmony. I loved using all the water slides and the Abyss. You are never too old to bring out the kid in you. Agree with poster above who said the view from the launch area of The Abyss is awesome. I was "stuck" up at the top for nearly 10 minutes before actually getting into position on the slide. The crew was trying to find new batteries for the walkie talkie at the bottom of the slide.

On 5/6/2019 at 4:34 PM, taglovestocruise said:

We sat in Playmakers on Symphony and during our lunch not a single rider came down the slide.  

Was the Abyss open during the time you had lunch at Playmakers? There was a long line when I cued up for The Abyss on Harmony. It was a very popular attraction.

On 5/6/2019 at 4:34 PM, taglovestocruise said:

The Bionic Bar is also a totally waste and a eyesore.

I LOVED watching those adorable robots. When they weren't mixing drinks, they were "dancing" together in synchronization. Sooooo cute! Didn't purchase a drink though.

1 minute ago, coffeebean said:

I LOVED watching those adorable robots. When they weren't mixing drinks, they were "dancing" together in synchronization. Sooooo cute! Didn't purchase a drink though

Ditto.  Very innovative.  Fun to watch!  Not sure why all the negatively.