Western Caribbean Snorkeling Question

cthockeymom

1 hour ago, cthockeymom said:

Looking for suggestions for the best place for snorkeling, Costa Maya, Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

Grand Cayman would be the best of those three.  Snorkeling is good in an area next to the ship.  Cozumel is ok, we've always taken a ship excursion that included a beach break at the end.  Costa Maya isn't very good.

Of the 3, I would chose Grand Cayman.  We often  take a combo snorkeling and Stingray City excursion.  The ship is tendered  there and I would not snorkel next to the ship in Grand Cayman.  Water is very deep there and tenders are coming and going.  You have an option of snorkeling just off the tender drop off point up the road heading to Seven Mile Beach.

• Like 1

There are a couple of locations next to the ship at different depths, neither was exceptional deep.  The reefs were in great shape with a lot of fish.  You really are not snorkeling around the tenders.  I would stay away from the combo trips if you are really interested in good snorkeling.  I'm not really a big fan of the stingrays, too many people but if you want to see them take a dedicated trip.

quick story on snorkeling and stingray city.

We traveled there a couple of years ago and went with Capt Marvin's 3-stop tour. this was not booked through CC. Stingray city was first and it was fun and cute. no swimming. you just stand in shallow water and let the stingrays swim around you. Next stop was a nice area with lots of coral for snorkeling. There was an older lady on the tour and it was her first time. She wasn't in the water 10 minutes when the screaming started and she needed to be hauled into the boat for emergency first aid. apparently she sucked water directly into her lungs. we all thought she was dead. luckily there was a nurse on the tour and the lady was transported to a fast boat for the ride inland. we heard later she was ok. needless to say, that ended the day's tour. Capt Marvin refunded everyone, but for those who wanted to snorkel, the day was a bust.

we're going back to grand cayman in november. this time i may look for a tour operator that requires folks to have some snorkeling experience in order to take the tour. too much can happen with beginners. just food for thought.

In Grand Cayman, we have taken Captain Marvin several times.  It has been a superior experience as compared to ship excursions.  We received personal attention and they have been very professional.  

Have not been impressed with snorkeling in Cozumel for a couple of reasons.  Damage from a hurricane to the reefs and often the seas are rough.

On 4/27/2019 at 2:14 PM, ipeeinthepool said:

There are a couple of locations next to the ship at different depths, neither was exceptional deep.  The reefs were in great shape with a lot of fish.  You really are not snorkeling around the tenders.  

I wonder if one of the areas you are referring to is Eden Rock?  OP, when you get off the tender at the pier, turn right and it is about a ten minute walk.  The snorkeling is really quite good there, or was when we snorkelled there about two years ago.  Check out Eden Rock Dive Shop on Trip Advisor for more recent reviews. 

We brought our own snorkel gear, checked in at the counter of the dive shop and picked up snorkel vests, and simply left a generous tip at the counter since we did not rent their snorkel gear.  Very little cost involved, and saw some great aquatic life.  We have never done an organized snorkel tour in Cayman so cannot speak to that, but if you are looking for cost effective snorkeling, I agree with ipeeinthepool......there is some good snorkeling right near the pier.  

Perhaps we snorkeled in the same spot but we took a tour from the ship.  The tour was basic that made a couple of stops..  They provided masks, snorkel, fins and vest and they used a small motorized catamaran.  We probably didn't motor longer than 5 minutes from the pier. 

We normally head to either Paradise or Eden rock when in Grand Cayman. I think the shore snorkelling there is normally great, inexpensive and within walking distance of the ship.  We have also done a trip to Palencar reef when in Cozumel. Fantastic, but very deep water. 

Enjoy!!